Bradley reaches agreement with HBO [ESPN]

Collapse
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mrpain81
    Undisputed Champion
    Unified Champion - 10,00-20,000 posts
    • Jun 2007
    • 12115
    • 986
    • 870
    • 35,268

    #1

    Bradley reaches agreement with HBO [ESPN]

    G****VINE, Texas -- Junior welterweight titlist Timothy Bradley Jr., the No. 1-rated 140-pounder in the world since pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao's exit from the division, has been fighting on Showtime while rival HBO has been putting together fight after fight between all of his most significant potential opponents.

    That left Bradley on the outside looking in at the big matches in his division -- until Thursday, when HBO reached an agreement with Bradley promoter Gary Shaw to bring him to the network, Cameron Dunkin, Bradley's manager, told ESPN.com.

    Bradley's HBO debut will come June 26 on "Boxing After Dark" in a nontitle bout over the 140-pound division limit against welterweight brawler Luis Carlos Abregu (29-0, 23 KOs), who has been approved by the network. The fight will likely take place at the Agua Caliente resort in Rancho Mirage, Calif., just a few miles from Bradley's hometown of Palm Springs and where he has had his last two fights.

    "Tim wants to fight the best 140-pounders in the world -- Amir Khan, Devon Alexander, [Marcos] Maidana, you name it," Dunkin said at the Gaylord Texan hotel, the fight headquarters for Saturday's Pacquiao-Joshua Clottey fight at Cowboys Stadium in nearby Arlington. "Hopefully, this is the start of getting those big fights."

    It is, as long as he wins. HBO's intention is to put Bradley squarely into the mix of major fights at junior welterweight, where it has what amounts to an informal tournament going on.

    Last week, HBO aired an Alexander fight for the first time and he scored a sensational eighth-round knockout of Juan Urango in a title unification bout, and it has plans to air Alexander's next fight, a possible showdown with Zab Judah this summer.

    HBO also has three other important bouts in the division already on its schedule: March 27, when Maidana defends his interim belt against hot contender Victor Cayo and May 15, when Khan defends his belt against former titleholder Paulie Malignaggi with Victor Ortiz facing Nate Campbell in the co-feature. HBO is also talking with Top Rank promoter Bob Arum about a summer junior welterweight bout between undefeated former lightweight titlist Edwin Valero, who is moving up in weight, and Lamont Peterson.

    Now, with Bradley (25-0, 11 KOs) in the mix, HBO hopes a series of bouts can eventually crown a top dog at 140 pounds.

    Dunkin said Bradley's title won't be at stake against Abregu because a top opponent was not available for the date, so he'll face Argentina native Abregu, who has also fought on Showtime, including his 10-round decision win against Richard Gutierrez in a slugfest last month.

    "He's a really strong guy with a good chin and he's bigger than Tim. He's physical and puts on great fights," Dunkin said of the 27-year-old Abregu.

    Said Sean Gibbons, Abregu's agent, "It's a great opportunity for Abregu to be on HBO. He's a bigger, stronger guy than Bradley and he's got nothing to lose by taking the fight. We can't wait."

    Bradley, 26, outpointed England's Junior Witter to win a title in 2008. He unified two belts last April by surviving two knockdowns to win a unanimous decision against Kendall Holt, but was forced to vacate one of the belts.

    In his most recent fight, Bradley scored a near-shutout of previously undefeated mandatory challenger Peterson in December.

    Bradley had appeared numerous times on Showtime, including in his last five fights. However, Dunkin said the network did not have a contract with him, which allowed Shaw to make the deal with HBO.

    "Timmy did not sign a thing with Showtime," Dunkin said. "He certainly appreciates what they have done for him and he loves Showtime, but he has to take this opportunity."
    Junior welterweight titlist Timothy Bradley Jr., the No. 1-rated 140-pounder in the world since pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao's exit from the division, will switch to HBO.
  • B.U.R.N.E.R
    ~NSB Legend 2005-2015~
    Franchise Champion - 20,000+ posts
    • Feb 2010
    • 30197
    • 1,346
    • 400
    • 47,475

    #2
    Good move for Bradley. Great move actually.

    Khan
    Ortiz
    Paulie
    Maidana
    Alexander


    Al there for fights.

    Comment

    • Evil Abed
      The Darkest Timeline...
      Franchise Champion - 20,000+ posts
      • Nov 2009
      • 21964
      • 979
      • 1,320
      • 30,552

      #3
      Excellent news!

      Comment

      • -GDS-
        Undisputed Champion
        Platinum Champion - 1,000-5,000 posts
        • Mar 2010
        • 1975
        • 52
        • 28
        • 9,901

        #4
        A necessary move by Bradley to not get left in the cold. But now, I just have a strange feeling that Bradley-Alexander fight everyone wants will be put on ice for at least a year at best. HBO would probably prefer to put the two against other tough junior welterweights before wiping each other out. I'm almost certain that one of them will be fighting the Maidana - Cayo winner, who HBO might prefer to go always due to a lack of appeal because of their nationalities. The Junior welterweight who HBO and Golden Boy knows has the most star potential, Victor Ortiz, will probably get a shot at the Bradley-Alexander winner, if he doesn't "F" his career up.

        Comment

        • Heru
          Quintessence
          Super Champion - 5,000-10,000 posts
          • Apr 2008
          • 9492
          • 533
          • 353
          • 26,205

          #5
          This is how it's looking right now:

          First tier:
          Bradley
          Alexander
          Khan
          Ortiz
          Valero

          Second tier:
          Maidana/Cayo
          Judah
          Malignaggi
          L. Peterson
          Campbell

          First round
          Khan-Malignaggi
          Ortiz-Campbell
          Alexander-Judah
          Valero-Peterson
          Maidana-Cayo
          Bradley will get a first round bye against Abregu

          It's gonna be interesting to see how this plays out, Mike Alvarado will see his way into a spot. The kid is a beast.

          Comment

          • SpinDoctor
            QUAD DIAMOND CHAMPION
            Platinum Champion - 1,000-5,000 posts
            • Feb 2010
            • 1735
            • 77
            • 46
            • 11,256

            #6
            hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm


            they must be setting up the hbo lww tourney now.

            Comment

            • wazaa.
              Banned
              Unified Champion - 10,00-20,000 posts
              • Feb 2010
              • 13956
              • 773
              • 643
              • 15,658

              #7
              A very good move by Team Bradley. HBO has all the hot 140 boxers. If Amir Khan beats Paulie Malignaggi, I expect him to fight Bradley or Maidana next.

              Comment

              • rabn21
                Contender
                Silver Champion - 100-500 posts
                • May 2008
                • 128
                • 2
                • 15
                • 6,228

                #8
                Originally posted by wazaa.
                A very good move by Team Bradley. HBO has all the hot 140 boxers. If Amir Khan beats Paulie Malignaggi, I expect him to fight Bradley or Maidana next.
                wazaa i am a fan of Khans but much to my displeasure he has a deal in place so that he will not fight Maidana for at least 3 more fights so that ain't happening which is a shame was a golden opportunity to shut a lot of critics up. He has also stated that he is not ready for Bradley but would like to fight him in a few fights time. I would love him to fight one of those two fighters and I know he would get in the ring with them if it was his call but its not and he wont.

                Anyway looking forward to Khan-Malignaggi. Interesting fight but not the most interesting one that was on offer though.

                Comment

                • johncods
                  Undisputed Champion
                  Super Champion - 5,000-10,000 posts
                  • May 2009
                  • 7761
                  • 421
                  • 58
                  • 14,300

                  #9
                  Good move.. Fighting on Showtime won't get him nowhere.

                  Comment

                  • wazaa.
                    Banned
                    Unified Champion - 10,00-20,000 posts
                    • Feb 2010
                    • 13956
                    • 773
                    • 643
                    • 15,658

                    #10
                    Originally posted by rabn21
                    wazaa i am a fan of Khans but much to my displeasure he has a deal in place so that he will not fight Maidana for at least 3 more fights so that ain't happening which is a shame was a golden opportunity to shut a lot of critics up. He has also stated that he is not ready for Bradley but would like to fight him in a few fights time. I would love him to fight one of those two fighters and I know he would get in the ring with them if it was his call but its not and he wont.

                    Anyway looking forward to Khan-Malignaggi. Interesting fight but not the most interesting one that was on offer though.
                    Amir signed with GBP to have 'Big fights'. Amir wants to fight against top 10 fighters that will generate much money. Mark my words. Expect Amir to fight one of the best if he gets through Paulie (which is no picknick)

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    TOP