Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is it possible for fighters to rehydrate 15-20lbs on fight night?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of boxers drain up to 15lbs.

Infact some boxers only have 4 or 5% body fat while a normal athlete has about 10%.

They don't over do it because you need to last 12 rounds.

Some fighters are fortunate to be able to do a lot and still perform.

Comment

Clottey said in the interview after the Corrales fight where he weighed 170lbs that he weighed with all his clothes on, jeans, shoes etc so that wasn't his real weight.

Comment

Originally posted by RTS View Post
        So I hear.

One tournament I was in, I didn't think I was fighting on the first round, I thought I was going straight to the semi finals which wasn't for 2 weeks. Found out the morning of the tournament that I was fighting at 12 in the afternoon that day.

Sauna suit + abdolene and I lost 7 pounds that morning.
        one of my homeboys was all-city in high school.

the little midget walked around about 130-135 and he wrestled in like the lowest division which was like 105 or something.

Comment

eayh, it's normal nowadays, but is it healthy in the long run. Hatton blows up in between fights. i know fluctuating your weight like that is not healthy.

i blame all the weight classes. it's so easy to just cut and be at the upper weight limit of the division. 5-10 isn't bad, IMO. but anything more than that just seems to extreme. 15-20 lbs rehydration?!? these dudes are killng themselves just to make the weight, rather than focusing on actual training.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_London View Post
            Clottey said in the interview after the Corrales fight where he weighed 170lbs that he weighed with all his clothes on, jeans, shoes etc so that wasn't his real weight.
            that's another thing.

fight night weigh ins are not that strict or regulated. one guy could weigh in in nothing but his boxers and the other guy just hops on with his shoes and robe on.

Comment

I can only regain like 3 to 5 pounds. I think my high metabolism doesn't allow much more at a fast pace.

Comment

How much of a negative effect would dehydrating 15-20 pounds have?

Another question, what happened to DLH that he wasn't able to rehydrate properly in the Pac fight?

Comment

Originally posted by VERSATILE2K10 View Post
                  I can only regain like 3 to 5 pounds. I think my high metabolism doesn't allow much more at a fast pace.
                  well if you cut weight it'll be water you're cutting.

a high metabolism will actually help you in cutting weight.

Comment

Originally posted by AllEyesOpen View Post

Another question, what happened to DLH that he wasn't able to rehydrate properly in the Pac fight?
                    That debacle has ??? all over it.. Honestly i may get flack for this but, I really think that **** was all staged..

He did take a huge risk because while dehydrated he fought, which is a much higher risk of brain damage..

Comment

Originally posted by AllEyesOpen View Post

delahoya was stupid.

delahoya's issue had nothing to do with cutting weight.

he overdieted.

from what i remember he was already 147-150 a few weeks before the fight.

he didn't cut weight normally.

instead of cutting 10-15 lbs. of water weight before the weigh in and rehydrating.

i think he dieted and tried to get his body at 147 itself , instead of being 155-160 and just cutting water weight to 147 for the weigh in.

there's also those who say he cut weight not only for the weigh in but the fight night as well so as to intentionally not weigh more than manny so that his win will look better.

don't know about that. i remember on 24/7 he weighed in around the 147 limit weeks before the fight. (though that could have been fixed. who knows?)

Comment

Working...
                      X