No announcement yet.

The Unappreciated Sweet Science of Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Unappreciated Sweet Science of Boxing

I've been seeing a lot of member's talk about how they dislike "boring" fights, and enjoy true "warrior" in the ring. Now I love watching 2 fighters going at it toe-2-toe as much as the next guy, but equally as much as I enjoy a tough technical battle of skill. My favorite fight, probably of all time is Leonard/Hearns, never have I seen 2 fighters use every skill in their arsenal to come out on top, also never have i seen a fight take a complete 180 degree turn as this one.

So what i'm wondering is does anyone still enjoy and appreciate the sweet science of boxing, using your skill, intelligence, and ability to outclass your opponent?

Here!

Too many people are really fans of violence IMO.

Comment

me personally, I love a lil mix of both at times. trinidad vs mayorga is 1 of my favorites. Tyson vs berbik was another fight I love to watch. all of roy Jones fights i loved. prince naseem....and floyd whooping up on Gatti is 1 of my favorites.

if I could have brawler and a boxer fighting each other, then i'm pretty happy. 2 boxers can be a lil boring at times because each rd looks like the previous one. 2 brawlers look like a bar fight to me...so i prefer fights were there is brawler and a boxer fighting each other.

Comment

Originally posted by cortdawg25 View Post
        me personally, I love a lil mix of both at times. trinidad vs mayorga is 1 of my favorites. Tyson vs berbik was another fight I love to watch. all of roy Jones fights i loved. prince naseem....and floyd whooping up on Gatti is 1 of my favorites.

if I could have brawler and a boxer fighting each other, then i'm pretty happy. 2 boxers can be a lil boring at times because each rd looks like the previous one. 2 brawlers look like a bar fight to me...so i prefer fights were there is brawler and a boxer fighting each other.
        Yeah, but some people would say that once the boxer is outboxing the brawler that the fights boring, not taking into account the skill needed to completely neutralize the other fighter. If it's a mismatch i understand but when it's a tough opponent being outclassed i enjoy it.

Williams/Quintana I comes to mind, it wasn't the most entertaining fight but i loved every minute of watch Quintana execute his gameplan perfectly and outbox Williams.

Comment

Originally posted by AllEyesOpen View Post
          Yeah, but some people would say that once the boxer is outboxing the brawler that the fights boring, not taking into account the skill needed to completely neutralize the other fighter. If it's a mismatch i understand but when it's a tough opponent being outclassed i enjoy it.

Williams/Quintana I comes to mind, it wasn't the most entertaining fight but i loved every minute of watch Quintana execute his gameplan perfectly and outbox Williams.
          that quintana/williams was a good fight....I thought they was gon rob Quintana. i don't know if u remember, but they took long time to read those scorecards.

in regards, to once the boxer starts outboxing the brawler is not boring to me. i love it...do u remember Hatton's face once he started catching shots, it was priceless. he had that ol ish face! lol

Diaz had that same look on his face once JMM started teeing off on him. And Tyson had that look onhis face once Lewis starting teeing on him. I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by cortdawg25 View Post
            that quintana/williams was a good fight....I thought they was gon rob Quintana. i don't know if u remember, but they took long time to read those scorecards.

in regards, to once the boxer starts outboxing the brawler is not boring to me. i love it...do u remember Hatton's face once he started catching shots, it was priceless. he had that ol ish face! lol

Diaz had that same look on his face once JMM started teeing off on him. And Tyson had that look onhis face once Lewis starting teeing on him. I love it!
            excellent post, and excellent points made. Hatton was getting tattoo'd in the face and Diaz would be so into his offense that when he'd got hit it was a shock. green k, good discussion.

Comment

Some people are fans of boxing, some people are fans of fighters because they are not fans of the sport they can't appreciate te sweet science they want to see a blood bath.

To be honest many people on this forum have the same mentality as nouveau riche in that they just arrive to the scene and don't know how to value things.

Comment

thread = justification of runners

if you guys enjoy that, there's a sport called Kabaddi which might interest you

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
                  thread = justification of runners

if you guys enjoy that, there's a sport called Kabaddi which might interest you
                  We're talking about the sweet science, clearly you know nothing of the subject so you should just stay out of it.

Comment

You don't need to get brain damage to be considered a great fighter in my book, but you must engage part of the time. If you throw 12 punches a round while you're on your bike take up something else and quit wasting my time.

Comment

Working...
                    X