Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greater Puerto Rican fighter in the last decade Cotto Or Calderon?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calderon is a better boxer, but Cotto's stronger resume can't be overlooked. Calderon is the better fighter ability wise though, but in an All time rankings list Cotto places higher.

Interestingly, these two fought in the amateurs around 16 years ago at 106lbs. With Ivan being 18 and Miguel being 13. Calderon won.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsukiyomi View Post
      I don't think Calderon is all that good.
      Well think again. Calderon is tiny at 108 and still a small 105lber. If there was an even lower division he would probably fight there. When you are 5''0 tall and small even at that weight, you need serious skills and ability to compete at the top. Ivan gave away 17lbs and a 6 '' height advantage against Cazares and beat him twice. 17lbs is massive at that weight, he looked like a little kid next to Cazares.

Ivan reguarly spars vastly bigger men and hands their asses to them. He sparred Oscar De La Hoya before the Floyd fight, and Oscar couldn't touch Ivan. Freddie even told Oscar "I know he is much smaller but he is embarassing you, give him a hard shot to let him know whos boss" and Oscar couldn't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by King Burner View Post
        Miguel Cotto.

Only thing Calderon has over Cotto is skill.
        What Burner said.

Comment

Originally posted by Counter right View Post
          Calderon is a better boxer, but Cotto's stronger resume can't be overlooked. Calderon is the better fighter ability wise though, but in an All time rankings list Cotto places higher.

Interestingly, these two fought in the amateurs around 16 years ago at 106lbs. With Ivan being 18 and Miguel being 13. Calderon won.
          Right on point

Comment

I don't think Calderon is all that good.
            Nope..
            if both fighter have the same height & weight; we can't tell who's gonna win..

people are giving Cotto the nod, not because Cotto is better pound for pound. We are giving Cotto the credit because Cotto achieved more, like three times... but talent against talent, i would say Calderon is probably better.

Comment

P4P Ivan is by far the better of the two. But at the weight classes that he fights at Ivan's legacy will never be accepted. Cotto fights at a higher more recognizes weight class againgst more well known names, therefore more exposure. Ivan suffers from the same non-fighters mentallity as Finito Lopez. Finito and Ivan are far more accomplished than Cotto will ever be. To a REAL BOXING FAN. It's like Who's better known? TITO or delajoya? Dumb Question! delajoya by far!!!! Who's proven more INSIDE the ring? TITO. Same with Cotto, he has more exposure, but Ivan INSIDE the ring is better!!!! Check there records!!!!! Too bad so called fans snub the lighter weights!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
                Calderon has been one of the best pure boxers in the sport for the last 10 or so years but Cotto's resume is by far the better and he deserves to be ranked higher on the list of Puerto Rican greats.
                This!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Counter right View Post
                  Well think again. Calderon is tiny at 108 and still a small 105lber. If there was an even lower division he would probably fight there. When you are 5''0 tall and small even at that weight, you need serious skills and ability to compete at the top. Ivan gave away 17lbs and a 6 '' height advantage against Cazares and beat him twice. 17lbs is massive at that weight, he looked like a little kid next to Cazares.

Ivan reguarly spars vastly bigger men and hands their asses to them. He sparred Oscar De La Hoya before the Floyd fight, and Oscar couldn't touch Ivan. Freddie even told Oscar "I know he is much smaller but he is embarassing you, give him a hard shot to let him know whos boss" and Oscar couldn't do it.
                  I just now realized I was thinking of Eric Morel, I been away from boxing too long.

Comment

Originally posted by tanibanana View Post
                    Cotto...

Calderon is great, but accomplishment wise Cotto has achieved more..
                    Cotto beat a future HOF'er Mosley,a lot of champions (Clottey, Judah, Torres). and ofcourse the mainstream appeal.

while Calderon had a strong reign at 105 & 108, it doesn't mean much. The level of competition at straw weight is not that great compared to 140 & 147 in my opinion.
                    Very true. I agree.

Comment

I just now realized I was thinking of Eric Morel, I been away from boxing too long.
                      Ok, you are excused

Comment

Working...
                      X