An injury and a postponed bout altered Wladimir Klitschko's methodically arranged fight schedule last year.
Instead of his anticipated three fights, Klitschko had to settle for one appearance in the ring. Klitschko retained his multiple heavyweight titles with a 10th-round technical knockout over Ruslan Chagaev in June but now he is eager to resume a busier schedule.
Klitschko, who currently is staying at his winter home in Hollywood, will leave for Europe on Jan. 25 and begin preparations for his next bout. The reigning International Boxing Federation and World Boxing Organization champion will fight Eddie Chambers on March 20 in Dusseldorf, Germany.
``You could say I am very anxious to get back in the ring,'' Klitschko said Friday. ``I definitely want three fights this year after what I went through last year.''
Klitschko originally was scheduled to fight England's David Haye on the date he faced Chagaev. But Haye withdrew because of an injury and also pulled out of another title fight against Wladimir's older brother, Vitali, who holds the World Boxing Council belt. After his victory over Chagaev, Klitschko also took an extended break to recover from an arm injury.
``Last year, Vitali was busier than me, so now I have to catch him,'' Klitschko said of his brother's three victorious fights in 2009. ``I am feeling great and have no ill effects from my injury.''
Enjoying overwhelming appeal overseas, the Klitschkos are targeting their pending fights in Europe. Klitschko's bout with Chagaev attracted 61,000 fans, and his title defense against Chambers also will be in an outdoor soccer stadium that seats 55,000.
Klitschko, 33, will not rule out a return to the United States for future fights, but it would require financially rewarding broadcast-rights fees. Now that he spends part of the year in South Florida, Klitschko even has envisioned fighting at AmericanAirlines Arena.
``I would love to fight at AmericanAirlines Arena,'' he said. ``I was at a Miami Heat game last year and was impressed with the arena.
``Right now, the fights have to go to Europe, but I am targeting one fight in the United States this year -- perhaps two. We have to hope there is a broadcaster that will step in and help make it happen.''
As he attempts to widen his appeal, Klitschko (53-3, 47 KOs) said he is focused on Chambers. Energized by his victory over previously unbeaten Alexander Dimitrenko last July, Chambers will be the latest American attempting to claim a share of the heavyweight prize, which is under European control. Haye recovered from his injury and won the World Boxing Association crown with a decision over former champion Nicolay Valuev in November.
``Eddie Chambers is my former sparring partner and has improved a lot,'' Klitschko said. ``I will not underestimate him. He had a great performance against Alexander Dimitrenko, who is taller than me.
``I definitely expect a tough challenge.''
miamiherald.com/sports/other/story/1418766.html
Instead of his anticipated three fights, Klitschko had to settle for one appearance in the ring. Klitschko retained his multiple heavyweight titles with a 10th-round technical knockout over Ruslan Chagaev in June but now he is eager to resume a busier schedule.
Klitschko, who currently is staying at his winter home in Hollywood, will leave for Europe on Jan. 25 and begin preparations for his next bout. The reigning International Boxing Federation and World Boxing Organization champion will fight Eddie Chambers on March 20 in Dusseldorf, Germany.
``You could say I am very anxious to get back in the ring,'' Klitschko said Friday. ``I definitely want three fights this year after what I went through last year.''
Klitschko originally was scheduled to fight England's David Haye on the date he faced Chagaev. But Haye withdrew because of an injury and also pulled out of another title fight against Wladimir's older brother, Vitali, who holds the World Boxing Council belt. After his victory over Chagaev, Klitschko also took an extended break to recover from an arm injury.
``Last year, Vitali was busier than me, so now I have to catch him,'' Klitschko said of his brother's three victorious fights in 2009. ``I am feeling great and have no ill effects from my injury.''
Enjoying overwhelming appeal overseas, the Klitschkos are targeting their pending fights in Europe. Klitschko's bout with Chagaev attracted 61,000 fans, and his title defense against Chambers also will be in an outdoor soccer stadium that seats 55,000.
Klitschko, 33, will not rule out a return to the United States for future fights, but it would require financially rewarding broadcast-rights fees. Now that he spends part of the year in South Florida, Klitschko even has envisioned fighting at AmericanAirlines Arena.
``I would love to fight at AmericanAirlines Arena,'' he said. ``I was at a Miami Heat game last year and was impressed with the arena.
``Right now, the fights have to go to Europe, but I am targeting one fight in the United States this year -- perhaps two. We have to hope there is a broadcaster that will step in and help make it happen.''
As he attempts to widen his appeal, Klitschko (53-3, 47 KOs) said he is focused on Chambers. Energized by his victory over previously unbeaten Alexander Dimitrenko last July, Chambers will be the latest American attempting to claim a share of the heavyweight prize, which is under European control. Haye recovered from his injury and won the World Boxing Association crown with a decision over former champion Nicolay Valuev in November.
``Eddie Chambers is my former sparring partner and has improved a lot,'' Klitschko said. ``I will not underestimate him. He had a great performance against Alexander Dimitrenko, who is taller than me.
``I definitely expect a tough challenge.''
miamiherald.com/sports/other/story/1418766.html
Comment