Paulus Moses' world title defence against Marco Antonio Barrera has been postponed

Collapse
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Dynamite Kid
    Slicker than your average
    Franchise Champion - 20,000+ posts
    • Feb 2007
    • 20701
    • 627
    • 209
    • 38,291

    #1

    Paulus Moses' world title defence against Marco Antonio Barrera has been postponed

    Apologizes if this has already been posted but i have not been online that much the last few days. Waar! MAB


    Paulus Moses’ world title defence against Marco Antonio Barrera has been postponed till further notice, while Moses will now fight a yet to be named opponent on February 28. Moses’ trainer and promoter Nestor Tobias told Namibia Sport that he had received a telephone call United States promoter Don King, requesting a postponement.

    “Don King said that Barrera first wants to have a warm-up fight before he takes on the Hitman. So now we have agreed that the Hitman will face another opponent on February 27 at the same venue in Los Angeles,” he said.

    The 35-year-old Barrera is attempting to become the first Mexican boxer to win a title in four different weight divisions, but his results have been patchy since he moved up to the lightweight division in 2008. Since then he has won two fights – one by disqualification, while he lost his last fight to Amir Khan of England, who beat him by a fifth round technical decision.

    Tobias said King would email him a list of names ‘later this week’ from which he would select a new opponent. Tobias said the only provision would be that the new opponent would be amongst the WBA’s top 15 ranked boxers.

    He added that the change of opponent would have no effect on Moses, who was in top shape and ready to face anyone.

    “It doesn’t matter who will face the Hitman, he is ready to defend his title against anyone. He has been training hard against top sparring partners like Tommy Hango, Ali Nuumbembe, Jatoorora Tjingavete and Vikapita Meroro and is in top shape. We are just happy that the fight is still on and are looking forward to fighting in Los Angeles,” he said.

    According to WBA rules, Moses’ second title defence had to take place within a year of him winning the title, but since he won the title on January 3, 2009, this will now not be possible anymore. King might now have to pay a fine to Tobias, but Tobias said they would try to resolve the issue diplomatically.

    “I will just talk to him and we will try and sort the issue out diplomatically. We are just happy that the fight is on,” he said.

    Tobias said that since the fight is still scheduled to take place in Los Angeles, the chances were good that a boxer from the United States could be selected, to attract the necessary TV rights.
  • Eric Holder
    Banned
    Platinum Champion - 1,000-5,000 posts
    • Nov 2008
    • 4474
    • 137
    • 285
    • 5,404

    #2
    I didn't even know Barrera was getting another title shot

    Comment

    • Rocker
      Undisputed Champion
      Platinum Champion - 1,000-5,000 posts
      • Jan 2010
      • 1028
      • 10
      • 15
      • 7,170

      #3
      I heard about the fight possibly being made but nothing further. Thanks for sharing that.

      Comment

      • Dynamite Kid
        Slicker than your average
        Franchise Champion - 20,000+ posts
        • Feb 2007
        • 20701
        • 627
        • 209
        • 38,291

        #4
        Originally posted by El Cabron
        I didn't even know Barrera was getting another title shot
        Neither did i. I did not even know he was fighting on.

        Comment

        • Doctor_Tenma
          Monster
          Franchise Champion - 20,000+ posts
          • Apr 2009
          • 33313
          • 1,327
          • 1,249
          • 58,127

          #5
          Originally posted by Dynamite Kid
          Neither did i. I did not even know he was fighting on.
          Honestly, I knew but I forgot. Anyway, Barrera is gonna get stopped. This based off the little I have seen on Moses. .

          Comment

          • Dynamite Kid
            Slicker than your average
            Franchise Champion - 20,000+ posts
            • Feb 2007
            • 20701
            • 627
            • 209
            • 38,291

            #6
            Originally posted by Dominicano Soy!
            Honestly, I knew but I forgot. Anyway, Barrera is gonna get stopped. This based off the little I have seen on Moses. .
            Is he that good, what kinda fighter is he?

            Comment

            • Kiid Dynamite
              Banned
              Gold Champion - 500-1,000 posts
              • Oct 2009
              • 783
              • 34
              • 76
              • 1,028

              #7
              how can barrera get a title shot.. boxing shouldnt work like this, its like holyfield getting a straight title shot after been inactive for ages and its sad because it was the heavyweight title

              barrera should work his way up or atleast beat a decent contender

              Comment

              • GRANDSLAM
                Interim Champion
                • Dec 2009
                • 555
                • 33
                • 26
                • 7,193

                #8
                Paulus Moses by my understanding is a WBA 'Regular' Title holder because Marquez is WBA Champ so let Barrera fight for the tinpot belt

                Comment

                • BOLLOCKS
                  Banned
                  Franchise Champion - 20,000+ posts
                  • Apr 2006
                  • 36266
                  • 1,401
                  • 1,537
                  • 58,925

                  #9
                  War Barrera!

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  TOP