Mayweather-Pacquiao in Jeopardy Over Drug Test - Merged Thread:

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Makavelli View Post
    i mean, you'd think news that big would already have threads made about it

how could this slip in under the radar....

Comment

• If floyd wasnt so Greddy this wouldnt of happened!

Comment

• Originally posted by -veteran420- View Post

all this Super 6 talk and Amir Khan vs Froch drama...totally missed this one

Comment

• What a let down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Njord777 View Post
            The fact is, the Nevada and California state boxing comissions failed, despite having officials oversee the Antonio Margarito hand wraps, to catch him cheating. That was only done when, due to su****ion, ****m Richardson, put ADDED scrutiny, above and beyond the state comission- and caught foul play.

Arguing that, because the industry standard is 'x', we should always be fine with that would mean Margarito would have never been subjected to additional attention by Shane's camp. This isn't an issue where Floyd is asking something other athletes in other sports would find ridiculous; boxing lags behind in using instant replay, in creating a central, federal commission, etc.

If Floyd undergoes the same testing, I see no reason this should be such an issue. Hopefully Manny Pacquiao will agree and we'll proceed as planned...
            In every fight a member of each rival camp observes the handwrapping. It's not a case of the commissions failing to detect it. It's also an entirely separate issue. I don't think you could suggest that there is a scientific test for determining loaded gloves, such as a urinalysis or post-fight blood test, though I don't want to dwell on this (I see the two cases as not very comparable, really).

The rest of your post is very debatable. The idea of a national commission, though prominently lobbied for by the not-so-politically-astute Teddy Atlas, does not account for the fact that boxing is in fact an international sport, that boxing is unique when compared to other mainstream sports, or that each of the so-called 'national commissions' of other sports (NBA/NFL/etc.) are in fact private corporations, and the associated sports teams are franchises. The model is not at all compatible with boxing, and the closest example I can point to is the UFC, which treats fighters like whores and seeks to own the rights to their very careers (the WWE model would be another (imperfectly) comparable model).

Without dwelling on this issue, the present state, while anything but ideal, is not amendable simply by drawing up a national commission out of thin air (John McCain was behind legislation to do so however, the same John McCain who was behind legislation to ban MMA and who famously labeled it "human **** fighting," a label which still sticks. Conflict of interest? You all can decide).

As for the issue of testing, I guess the MLB and NFL are very advanced right? Oh wait...
            Last edited by Drunken Cat; 12-23-2009, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by D33Pwaters View Post
              www.news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8427743.stm

your thoughts?

I think Arum just went ape ****!
              that link doesn't work for me

And Arum said that they are prepared to walk away..not that the fight is definitely off

Comment

• Originally posted by -veteran420- View Post

sory i am new here how did you get dem smiley faces?

Comment

• Originally posted by TU Manny View Post
                  If floyd wasnt so Greddy this wouldnt of happened!
                  know your facts, manny demanded that if floyd came in over 147 he will be finned 10 million dollars. That made floyd angry so floyd started w/ all this olympic random drug test stuff.

Comment

• All because Floyd The Fraud is a *****. **** YOU FLOYD!

Comment

• Originally posted by Phatfarm1980 View Post
                      Surely doing the drug testing after the fight would fine?

Im not sure about how the whole thing works and if the sample maybe some how effected if taken after the fight. It does seem like Mayweather is stalling abit though
                      Manny has too much pride

Comment

Working...
                      X