CHICAGO – Before the Pacquiao-Cotto fight, controversial one-time Junior Welterweight World champion Paul “The Magic" Malignaggi did not bat an eyelash when he predicted that the Filipino pound-for-pound world champion would lose to the Puerto Rican world champion.
After sewing up a convincing unanimous decision over three-time lightweight world champion Juan “Baby Bull" Diaz on Dec. 12 to claim the North American Boxing Organization junior welterweight title at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago, Illinois, Malignaggi (27-3, 5 KOs) just clammed up and smiled when asked by this reporter if he has any prediction on the outcome of the March 13 fight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Eric Gomez, vice president of Golden Boy Promotions, told reporters that Diaz (35-3, 17 KOs) could not make it to the post-fight press conference because he (Diaz) had “a deep cut to be stitched. He said he was not in rhythm (during the fight) and congratulated Paul (Malignaggi). (He) fought a great fight."
NO MAGIC: Right-hander three-time world junior world champion Juan “Baby Bull" Diaz (left) lands a left hook on the face of Paul “The Magic" Malignaggi in the 12-round junior welterweight title bout of the North American Boxing Organization on Dec. 12 at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago, Illinois. The punch however proved to be in vain as Malignaggi (27-3, 5 KO’s) eventually clinched a convincing unanimous decision over Diaz (35-3, 17 KOs) in the grudge match. Photo by Joseph G. Lariosa
Malignaggi, who was showboating during most of the 12-rounder, got even in his rematch with Diaz after losing to him in a contentious decision during a fight held at Diaz’s hometown of Houston, Texas last August.
Malignaggi said his victory merely validated the claim of his camp that he won the first fight. “Why else would his camp change his aggressive style to non-aggressive this time? I know I was leading in the early rounds."
All the three judges turned in unanimous 116-111 scorecards for Malignaggi, the Italian-American motormouth who showed some theatrics in the sixth round when he dropped his arms, inviting Diaz to come and hit him.
In another round, he turned his right arm like a wheel as if to deliver a big swing. He even placed both his arms in his back, taunting Diaz to take a swing.
Diaz, who has been an aggressive fighter throughout his career, never got inside and landed a mere 35 body blows over 12 rounds.
It was Malignaggi’s constant jabs that spelled trouble for the 26-year-old Diaz, whose lack of rhythm made him look older than the 29-year-old Malignaggi.
The attention-grabbing Malignaggi told HBO’s Max Kellerman after the fight, “I gotta say I told you so. To my critics, who said I was done, I’m back."
CALLING OUT MARQUEZ, HATTON: Hair-braided Paul “The Magic" Malignaggi (left) calls out on Juan Manuel Marquez and Ricky Hatton to be his next opponents in an interview shortly after copping a unanimous decision over three-time lightweight world champion Juan “Baby Bull" Diaz on Dec. 12. At the center is his representative, Lou Dibella, president of DiBella Entertainment. Photo by Joseph G. Lariosa
He also called out on Juan Manuel Marquez and asked for a rematch with Ricky Hatton, who TKO’ed him in the 11th round in November last year.
Malignaggi has been getting brickbats from boxing commentators for calling Pacquiao a “midget" and accusing him of using performance-enhancing drugs like steroids.
link
After sewing up a convincing unanimous decision over three-time lightweight world champion Juan “Baby Bull" Diaz on Dec. 12 to claim the North American Boxing Organization junior welterweight title at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago, Illinois, Malignaggi (27-3, 5 KOs) just clammed up and smiled when asked by this reporter if he has any prediction on the outcome of the March 13 fight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Eric Gomez, vice president of Golden Boy Promotions, told reporters that Diaz (35-3, 17 KOs) could not make it to the post-fight press conference because he (Diaz) had “a deep cut to be stitched. He said he was not in rhythm (during the fight) and congratulated Paul (Malignaggi). (He) fought a great fight."
NO MAGIC: Right-hander three-time world junior world champion Juan “Baby Bull" Diaz (left) lands a left hook on the face of Paul “The Magic" Malignaggi in the 12-round junior welterweight title bout of the North American Boxing Organization on Dec. 12 at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago, Illinois. The punch however proved to be in vain as Malignaggi (27-3, 5 KO’s) eventually clinched a convincing unanimous decision over Diaz (35-3, 17 KOs) in the grudge match. Photo by Joseph G. Lariosa
Malignaggi, who was showboating during most of the 12-rounder, got even in his rematch with Diaz after losing to him in a contentious decision during a fight held at Diaz’s hometown of Houston, Texas last August.
Malignaggi said his victory merely validated the claim of his camp that he won the first fight. “Why else would his camp change his aggressive style to non-aggressive this time? I know I was leading in the early rounds."
All the three judges turned in unanimous 116-111 scorecards for Malignaggi, the Italian-American motormouth who showed some theatrics in the sixth round when he dropped his arms, inviting Diaz to come and hit him.
In another round, he turned his right arm like a wheel as if to deliver a big swing. He even placed both his arms in his back, taunting Diaz to take a swing.
Diaz, who has been an aggressive fighter throughout his career, never got inside and landed a mere 35 body blows over 12 rounds.
It was Malignaggi’s constant jabs that spelled trouble for the 26-year-old Diaz, whose lack of rhythm made him look older than the 29-year-old Malignaggi.
The attention-grabbing Malignaggi told HBO’s Max Kellerman after the fight, “I gotta say I told you so. To my critics, who said I was done, I’m back."
CALLING OUT MARQUEZ, HATTON: Hair-braided Paul “The Magic" Malignaggi (left) calls out on Juan Manuel Marquez and Ricky Hatton to be his next opponents in an interview shortly after copping a unanimous decision over three-time lightweight world champion Juan “Baby Bull" Diaz on Dec. 12. At the center is his representative, Lou Dibella, president of DiBella Entertainment. Photo by Joseph G. Lariosa
He also called out on Juan Manuel Marquez and asked for a rematch with Ricky Hatton, who TKO’ed him in the 11th round in November last year.
Malignaggi has been getting brickbats from boxing commentators for calling Pacquiao a “midget" and accusing him of using performance-enhancing drugs like steroids.
link
Comment