By Jake Donovan - It was a busy Monday for both Don King Productions and those presently handling the career of former heavyweight titlist John Ruiz.
A press release issued by King’s office earlier Monday afternoon suggested that the 78-year old Hall of Famer is still the promoter of record for Ruiz, dis*****g a statement made earlier last week by the Ruiz camp claiming news to the contrary.
The remarks by King came shortly before his insistence of a separate matter that indirectly affects Ruiz, regarding an alleged WBA interim title fight between Kali Meehan (whom King promotes) and Ruslan Chagaev. The winner of such a contest, it was suggested, would next face the winner of the mandatory title fight between Ruiz and recently crowned David Haye.
Word of both subjects quickly made its way to Team Ruiz, who had plenty to say on both subjects, but specifically on the claim that Ruiz was still under contract with Don King.
“Leaving aside any issues on the basis for (King’s) failing to live up to the contract, John’s contract with Don King expired on October 9, 2009,” attorney Anthony Cardinale told Boxingscene.com Monday afternoon. “We are entertaining other offers from promoters at this present time, but the fact is that John is a promotional free agent at this time.” [details]
A press release issued by King’s office earlier Monday afternoon suggested that the 78-year old Hall of Famer is still the promoter of record for Ruiz, dis*****g a statement made earlier last week by the Ruiz camp claiming news to the contrary.
The remarks by King came shortly before his insistence of a separate matter that indirectly affects Ruiz, regarding an alleged WBA interim title fight between Kali Meehan (whom King promotes) and Ruslan Chagaev. The winner of such a contest, it was suggested, would next face the winner of the mandatory title fight between Ruiz and recently crowned David Haye.
Word of both subjects quickly made its way to Team Ruiz, who had plenty to say on both subjects, but specifically on the claim that Ruiz was still under contract with Don King.
“Leaving aside any issues on the basis for (King’s) failing to live up to the contract, John’s contract with Don King expired on October 9, 2009,” attorney Anthony Cardinale told Boxingscene.com Monday afternoon. “We are entertaining other offers from promoters at this present time, but the fact is that John is a promotional free agent at this time.” [details]
Comment