• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernard Hopkins the legendary midget basher

From: http://www. east side boxing. com/news.php?p=211&more=1
    (remove spaces)

Originally posted by Bernard Hopkins View Post
    People want to me to go up to 190 pounds to fight "superman" and be basically a sacrificial lamb but these same people will do their best to keep Oscar De La Hoya, Shane Mosley, and Ricardo Mayorga among a few, away from me. Why don't these people want those guys to fight me?

Case in point... I'm going to quote Larry Merchant, who's part of the system and he's nothing more than a puppet on a string, here's what he said... "Why are you calling out the little guys, I never heard of a middleweight calling out the little guys."
    Here Hopkins is basically saying, why should I have to fight the bigger guys when I can fight the smaller guys instead. Notice how he uses the number 190 lbs when talking about lhw, the amount that lhw's will rehydrate up to come fight night.

Originally posted by Bernard Hopkins View Post
    Well Merchant, why would they want me to fight a heavyweight? What is the problem with me calling out a fighter who's at 154 pounds? What is worse? Me fighting a guy that is 6 pounds away from me or me moving up to fight someone who is 30 pounds heavier than me.
    Notice here how Hopkins says the jmw only have to move up 6 lbs, when according to his earlier logic, they would have to move up to 170 lbs, which is the weight Hopkins will be come fight night.
    Everytime Hopkins was offered a fight with a bigger guy he always prices himself out, whether it was with Jones, Toney or Calzage

When Hopkins was forced to move up after back to back losses to Jermain Taylor he chose Tarver, a fighter who had to move down 45 lbs to make weight. After beating Tarver Hopkins has refused to fight another lhw. Instead he has fought the following opponents:

Winky:Who had to move up two divisions, Calzaghe: who had to move up one division, Pavlik: who had to move up two divisions and now Ornelis who has to move up one division.

The fights Hopkins tried to make Pwill(smaller), Froch (smaller) and Tito rematch (smaller).

When fights are offered, with guys more his own size like Dawson and Ademek he prices himself out.

Hopkins critising Floyd for fighting a smaller opponent, notice he says that Marquez was at a disadvantage because Floyd was bigger than him

I rest my case
    yes
    32.29%
    no
    67.71%
    Last edited by Adamantium; 12-15-2009, 09:37 AM. Reason: spelling

Very good thread mate.

Bang on

Comment

Exactly, I was thinking I was the only thinking this. Bernard's resume is made up off little men.

Comment

Originally posted by boxasmash View Post
        Exactly, I was thinking I was the only thinking this. Bernard's resume is made up off little men.
        this is nothing new mate

imo b-hop is the biggest cherry picker in the sport and has a very misleading resume. i think if he was forced to fight men his own size, he would be one of those nearly men that managaes to float around in the top 5 of his weight division but he would neveer really beat the main guy and be no.1

Comment

Hopkins is a joke. Wins over WW like De La Hoya, Trinidad and then bringing the MW champion Pavlik to fight him at 170 is not what HOF do.
          Last edited by Pounding; 11-23-2009, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Prime for Prime...Hopkins could have moved up to face Calzaghe while Calzaghe could have moved up to face Jones Jr. In the end, Hopkins was the only one to fight a version of Jones Jr that was still healthy/alive, but lost...never wanted the rematch. Calzaghe just didn't want to take that chance because he knew he would lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSamurai
              Without the little guys this is Hopkins legendary resume:

13 losses Johnson, 18 losses Brown, Hakkar, Vanderpool, Lipsey, Allen*3, Echols*2, Mercado, Easman, Bo james and now he is risking everything by fighting the legendary Ornelias.

To improve his legendary legacy Hopkins should fight Pacquiao at a catchweight of 170 lbs
              Glen Johnson was undefeated when Hopkins fought him.

Should we go through the list of fighters that made a living off of fighting past prime fighters and are still called "ATG"?

Comment

Originally posted by Pounding View Post
                Hopkins is a joke. Wins over WW like De La Hoya, Trinidad and then bringing the MW champion Pavlik to fight him at 170 is not what HOF do.
                What does Pavlik weigh by fight-time?

How old was Pavlik....How old was Hopkins?

Tito won a title at 160.

So no "ATG" has ever faced opponents that had moved up through their careers and stamped them as a "name" on their resume to be called "ATG"?

But I hear what everybody is saying and I approve of this discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post
                  Glen Johnson was undefeated when Hopkins fought him.

Should we go through the list of fighters that made a living off of fighting past prime fighters and are still called "ATG"?
                  Do yo consider Hopkins a ATG? A atg great fighter at some point in their career has to take a chance, like Ali did against Liston, Toney against Jirov, Hearns against Hagler. The only time in his career Hopkins chose to take a risk was with a guy who had to drop 45 lbs, since beating Tarver he has refused to fight another lhw.
                  Last edited by Adamantium; 11-23-2009, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post
                    What does Pavlik weigh by fight-time?

How old was Pavlik....How old was Hopkins?

Tito won a title at 160.

So no "ATG" has ever faced opponents that had moved up through their careers and stamped them as a "name" on their resume to be called "ATG"?

But I hear what everybody is saying and I approve of this discussion.
                    Come fight time Pavlik was 171 lbs, depending on who you believe Hopkins was either 180 lbs (according to HBO), or 187 lbs (according to Jack Leow).

Tito's whole resume is shady, after being caught loading up his wraps after the Hopkins pre-fight fiasco, without his wraps it was shown that Tito didnt have the skill or power to compete with the mw's, hence his retirement.

Comment

Working...
                    X