Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOXING HISTORY 101: Why Precedence Matters !!! (Readers only thread)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Horus View Post

Shout outs to Allucard, great post to inspire me to write this thread.

Great Post,
    These so called hardcore boxing fans are so hardcore that they don’t know any HARDCORE boxing history...

They act is if Floyd Mayweather is setting precedence never seen before in boxing. They act is if Sugar Ray Robinson WAS THE PERFECT EXAMPLE ON HOW A FIGHTER SHOULD BE AND wasn’t the Biggest ******* in the sport when it comes to money... The guy would pull out of fights on fight night just to change to already agreed upon money split....

Imagine if Mayweather did that with somebody today...On the night of the fight, He says he isn’t going to fight unless he now gets 65% instead of the 60% he already agreed on....Could you picture the reaction????

* People forget or dont know, that Sugar Ray Leonard never fought Pryor, when Pryor called him out in his face!!!

* People forget or dont know, that SRL made Hagler wait 8 years before he would fight him...

* People forget or dont know Haglar was NORTOROIUS for calling out a smaller man and making them come up to his weightclass to fight him.

Haglar was infamous from calling out welterweights and former lightweights.
    (hearns,SRL,Duran) Sounds like a fighter we know today: (Hopkins)

* People forget or dont know that Michael Spinks used to called Haglar out for years but Haglar pretended that Spinks didnt exist. Why didnt Haglar fight Spinks the biggerman instead of always making smaller men moved up and fight him.
    Haglar always fought the Smallerman... But is his legacy tarnish?????

* People Forget, that Roberto Duran just quit against SRL, because he could not take SRL style anymore...Picture what would happen if Mayweather quit a fight against somebody because their style was too hard for them to handle...

People act is if the past in boxing was some kind of holy time.
    No fighter in history has fought everyone. NO FIGHTER!!!
    Especially in their 4th weightclass. !!!

Jack Dempsey never fought any black fighters, Sound familiar???

If people actually learn some boxing history, they would not act as if Floyd is breaking every secret boxing rule in the book every time Floyd makes a decision.

This is why I dont take half of these clowns seriously.
    Because they dont know any history, and complain about ****
    that some of their greatest fighters in history used to do all the the time.
    But when Mayweather does it, They act as if SRR,SRL,HAGLAR,DURAN,etc...
    would never have never done that..!!!

boxing is the only sport in which contradictions are allowed to happen and the ignorant lead the ignorant.!

SRR was around during a much different time. If he pulled out of a fight 2 seconds before the fight, they could reschedule it for next weekend.

And HAGLER also completely cleaned out his weight class. Sure he fought smaller guys, but he also fought the best in his OWN weight class, something Mayweather has consistently NOT done

Dempsey was around during a much different time, you cant possibly compare that to time to then. Especially when you had a guy like Jack Johnson as heavyweight champ just a few years prior to Dempsey, whose reign caused race riots and mass murders galore. who could blame anybody for wanting to avoid that again.

And Durans legacy was tarnished dramtically by the quit against SRL. People CONSTANTLY bring that up, which is a shame considering his rediculously amazing career. Even greater the SRL's

Comment

1st: Spelling error, so what.

2nd: Ok, so are you saying if he fights other great fighters he was allow to duck certain fighters?

(really are you making or implying that argument)?

3rd:
      Ray Robinson yes was extremely difficult in negotiations. What do you expect a fair shake in a sporting contract WHEN THE BLACK RACE DIDNT EVEN GET A FAIR SHAKE IN HUMAN CIVIL RIGHTS?

What is your point here? Are you saying that it was ok for Robinson to disregard a contract he agreed upon and sign, just because he he didn’t have equal rights?

Did Robinson rights change after he change his mind on a contract he sign and agreed upon at the last minute?
      Or
      Was it the same as it was, even after he dishonored his contract?

Say that was a valid excuse. That excuse can only work `1 time.
      Robinson used to this all the time???

When do we get to the point where Robinson has to honor the contract he originally signed and agreed upon? What is the excuse for that?

MY QUESTION:
      Can Fighters still used that excuse today !!

3rd of all, Hagler comparison to Hopkins fighting smaller men?

well Tommy hearns & ray leonard won titles at 160, 168, & 175. What did winky, trinidad, & oscar do 160 & above?

That is in retrospect .I am talking about at the present time of those fights.
      Hagler always fought smaller man. Are his great wins are against smaller men?
      Same as Hopkins.
      Why didnt Haglar accept Michael Spinks Challenge

4th of all, Pacquiao not fighting "black" fighters?

From june 2001 to june 2002, in a 3 fight span, Pacquiao fought 3 straight "black" fighters; Lehnolo Ledwaba, Agapito Sanchez, & Jorge Elicer Julio.......

but they werent "american slick black fighters" right? Well agapito is as slick & dirty as they come. Name me a american slick black fighter that pacquiao ducked in the lower weight class?

As for Pacquiao, In my book he will be reguard damn near close to jack dempsey if he doesnt fight An African American Fighter.

Because it is pretty obvious how his career has been guilded, and it is pretty obvious why....

He cant deal with fast counterpunchers, especially a slick ones.

How would you judge mayweather if he never fought mexican fighters?
      First of all HORUS, learn how to quote a quote.

Stop trying to scrape the bottom of the barrel with the weak ass argument of ray leonard ducked aaron pryor so he's a ducker & try to make it comparable to fraud jr.'s duck.

ITS NOT COMPARABLE AT ALL.

SRL not fighting aaron pryor who almost got ko'd by alexis arguello who was a career lowerweight fighter is not the same as;

Fraud jr. not fighting casamayor, freitas, spadafora, stevie johnston at 135

Fraud jr. not fighting cotto, hatton, tsyzu, vivian harris, junior witter

Fraud jr not fighting cotto, margarito, clottey, berto, quintana, paul williams, shane mosley at 147

Fraud jr. not fighting cory spinks, vernon forrest, or winky wright at 154.

How many slick black fighters has Fraud jr faced? ohh wait he fought zab judah. He's reaalll slick.

Robinson was more notorious for wanting his money up front & the first fighter to ask for revenue for gate receipts. You & fraud jr. should pay homage to him instead of trying to bring him down in order to justify fraud jr.'s shameless actions.

Old leonard took on a powerful young beast like terry norris lets see fraud jr. try to even come close to doing something like that.

& you are still slagging off Hagler? Even one of his most notable win, roberto duran won a middleweight championship vs barkley. What did hopkin's lower weight victories vs notable fighters do? At least kelly pavlik was a 160 lb champ who moved up to 170.

Not the same as Fraud jr. asking a career featherweight 36 year old fighter w/ 55 plus fights to fight him at 147.

& stop fronting like you didnt see my first post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kball15 View Post
        SRR was around during a much different time. If he pulled out of a fight 2 seconds before the fight, they could reschedule it for next weekend.

And HAGLER also completely cleaned out his weight class. Sure he fought smaller guys, but he also fought the best in his OWN weight class, something Mayweather has consistently NOT done

Dempsey was around during a much different time, you cant possibly compare that to time to then. Especially when you had a guy like Jack Johnson as heavyweight champ just a few years prior to Dempsey, whose reign caused race riots and mass murders galore. who could blame anybody for wanting to avoid that again.

And Durans legacy was tarnished dramtically by the quit against SRL. People CONSTANTLY bring that up, which is a shame considering his rediculously amazing career. Even greater the SRL's

KBALL is this really an good excuse?
        Also if you reconize that he fought in a different era where things were drastically different. Why do some posters Compare Floyd to SRR without
        making the proper distentions required?

My Point: Imagine if Mayweather did that to Pacquiao...On the night of the fight, He says he isn’t going to fight unless he now gets 60% instead of the 50% he already agreed on....What would be your reaction????

I could argue Robinson used to do it all the time, but would you accept that as an valid excuse?

Hagler only cleaned out 1 weightclass.... he never moved up or down and cleaned out any other weightclasses...

Micheal Spinks Called Haglar out all the time, to moved up and fight him.
        Something Hagler used to ask other fighters to do.. But Hagler never did it...

Mayweather clean out 1 weightclass also, but unlike hagler he moved up weightclasses and continue to dominate.

Thats why Hagler will always be ranked under SRL,HEARNS, and DURAN
        because they did something Hagler would not do. Moved up and fought bigger fighters.

Not an excuse, and this excuse really all conjecture.
        Because no one can predict the future. Making the argument That I wont fight a black fighter because it MIGHT caused a riot is a bull**** excuse.

Not to the extent, that it would be if Mayweather done it is my point.

My point is If people actually learn some boxing history, they would not act as if Floyd is breaking every secret boxing rule in the book every time Floyd makes a decision.They act is if Floyd Mayweather is setting precedence never seen before in boxing.

I want people to understand, Floyd has not done one thing in his career expect going undefeated through 5 weight classes in under 10 years that has set a precendence.... but when people make the argument all such and such would have never done this... THEIR WRONG. because such and such would have and most did do it is my point.

Comment

• Originally posted by GetSumBrah View Post
          First of all HORUS, learn how to quote a quote.

Stop trying to scrape the bottom of the barrel with the weak ass argument of ray leonard ducked aaron pryor so he's a ducker & try to make it comparable to fraud jr.'s duck.

ITS NOT COMPARABLE AT ALL.

SRL not fighting aaron pryor who almost got ko'd by alexis arguello who was a career lowerweight fighter is not the same as;

Fraud jr not fighting cotto, margarito, clottey, berto, quintana, paul williams, shane mosley at 147

How many slick black fighters has Fraud jr faced? ohh wait he fought zab judah. He's reaalll slick.

Robinson was more notorious for wanting his money up front & the first fighter to ask for revenue for gate receipts. You & fraud jr. should pay homage to him instead of trying to bring him down in order to justify fraud jr.'s shameless actions.

Old leonard took on a powerful young beast like terry norris lets see fraud jr. try to even come close to doing something like that.

& you are still slagging off Hagler? Even one of his most notable win, roberto duran won a middleweight championship vs barkley. What did hopkin's lower weight victories vs notable fighters do? At least kelly pavlik was a 160 lb champ who moved up to 170.

Not the same as Fraud jr. asking a career featherweight 36 year old fighter w/ 55 plus fights to fight him at 147.

& stop fronting like you didnt see my first post.
          this is why i dont take you serious, you whole post was disrespectful and childish...
          Fraud? How old are you? Seriously grow up and discuss boxing with some civility.
          if you want I can reply to your whole post like you repy to me from now on.

Do you honestly think that is an serious argument.
          You are leaving countless facts, and providing no context to your claims of ducking?

Do you even know when Aaron pryor Called out Leonard,
          Do you even know what point of Pryor and Leonard career it is was when Pryor called out leonard to his face...

Your post indicates you don't.

KEEP HATING....and learn something about boxing.

Comment

• Horus needs to go to Miami to get away from Dexter. Plenty of boats out there on the docks to buy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iceta View Post
              Horus needs to go to Miami to get away from Dexter. Plenty of boats out there on the docks to buy.

Why did Al haymon put you on his ignore list?

iceta why are actively trying to get on my ignore list?

Comment

Why did Al haymon put you on his ignore list?

iceta why are actively trying to get on my ignore list?
                I'm actually not. I actually didn't even want to make another post on this thread, but I clicked the reply button to see whether or not I was on iggy, and low and behold, I was not. You are a good man. But I still thought I had to make another post since I was already in reply mode.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iceta View Post
                  I'm actually not. I actually didn't even want to make another post on this thread, but I clicked the reply button to see whether or not I was on iggy, and low and behold, I was not. You are a good man. But I still thought I had to make another post since I was already in reply mode.
                  I thought you said, Al haymon put you on his ignore list?

Comment

I thought you said, Al haymon put you on his ignore list?
                    He did. He's a ***** for it too. Don't follow suit.

Comment

• I will take you serious, when you start to take yourself serious.
                      horus that getsumbrah character is a joke and doesn't know boxing..treust me you should ignore him.

great post the haters can't stand facts about floyds career.

they say he should fight a welterweight and act like he didn't fight zab, baldomir, and hoya in his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fight above 140.

when he beats the cotto vs pc winner they will come up with more excuses. you have been around long enough to know their schick.

they will not give floyd credit until he losses and we both know floyd ain't losing anytime soon especially not coto, pac or mosley.

Comment

Working...
                      X