Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why are losses so devastating in this era of boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why are losses so devastating in this era of boxing?

was just wondering everyones opinion on why losing has become such a huge deal in this new era of boxing. In the old days it was common for the greats to have losses on their ledger. And if you did lose, oh well. You got right back on the horse and kept going. It seems to me that once someone loses once or twice today, they are written off as finished(ala Taylor). If Floyd were to lose anytime soon, he would be written off as past his prime. WHY???? My take on the situation is that its the money fueling these fights. I think the real deal is that you are a "shot fighter" if no one wants to put up the money to see you fight. Sad, but all too true i think. What do you guys think?

Because people like Mayweather duck everyone credible. Most people don't give a **** about losses. Look at Mosely, Cotto, Margacheato, Williams. They all have looses and noone considers them any less of a fighter for it. People like Floyd who duck all challenges to fight bums/small fighters are on the next level down to the above guys.

Comment

Not far from the truth IMO...

If you lose, you're either shot, past prime, or exposed.

Comment

Because the sport is run by marketability. If you lose, your marketability takes a hit, unless you just have a huge built in fan base, or the type of personality that draws attention.

Comment

Being undeafed sells, also creates a bull**** aura.

If you fight the best in the world consitently you will lose at some stage. All the greats have lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdaddy_Vh View Post
            was just wondering everyones opinion on why losing has become such a huge deal in this new era of boxing. In the old days it was common for the greats to have losses on their ledger. And if you did lose, oh well. You got right back on the horse and kept going. It seems to me that once someone loses once or twice today, they are written off as finished(ala Taylor). If Floyd were to lose anytime soon, he would be written off as past his prime. WHY???? My take on the situation is that its the money fueling these fights. I think the real deal is that you are a "shot fighter" if no one wants to put up the money to see you fight. Sad, but all too true i think. What do you guys think?
            That has a good part to do with it...

The other reason i believe is thats the standard we've created in the sport as fans. Everyone is out looking for the next "ATG" and if you lose a fight or two then you get bumped from the list.

Having top p4p champs (like floyd mayweather) really do help our sport in terms of attractions and attention from outside sources (ie. casual fans and the media).

However guys like floyd ruin it for everyone else in the sport.

Since mayweather appears unbeatable to the public and he's considered the best in the sport (or was; watever, etc.) that fighters with a couple losses seem like second rate fighters.

there is too much politics and drama around boxing today. everything is about the all mighty dollar and promoters will screw fighters left and right for the big money. boxing has been reduced to the nfl...in other words its all about tom brady (ie. floyd mayweather jr), payton manning (ie. pacman), etc.

you get my point. in the NFL all the headlines read is the biggest names in the sport...in boxing the fans have been reduced to nothing but talks of mayweather pacman, and whoever is the flavor of the week to beat them; etc.

Its insane.

no one cares about the sport as a whole anymore expect he people who have the weakest voice in this situation....the true hardcore fans.

Comment

It's not just the loss itself. It's how a fighter loses, how he reacts, how long he takes to return to the top level, etc.

It's also more difficult to bury a loss in an era where you're lucky to see your favorite fighter more than twice a year. Was much different back in the day, where you could lose your first fight of the year, but still be 3-1 by March.

Comment

Because many "Old Timers" fought often and fought the best...not just once, but twice, three times, etc. They could also move up and down in weight to chase the big money fights. If you lost one week they could be at it again soon after and win.

Here is a quick example:

Sugar Ray Robinson moved up to MW from WW to fight Jake LaMotta...and he lost. About 3 weeks later, he fought Jake again and won. He would go on to fight him many more times and win.

They fought because it was work. It was a paycheck they needed so they fought often and they fought hard. When you fight often, fans are more forgiving for a loss, specifically when you win the rematch.

Comment

I'm not so sure a loss hurts a fighter,JC & floyd are the only 2 undefeateds of this era & their both surrounded by controversy!!In the end,when floyd ducks Mosley & Cotto & fights Manny,people will see his true colors!!

Comment

Losses arent devastating its just the fighters that make them that way. When you fight the best sometimes you lose. Back in the day nobody was undefeated cause they all fought each other. after 1 loss you are more willing to fight whoever. IMO the "0" is just a big monkey on a fighters back. Once you lose it you are more relaxed nothing to worry or protect. Avenge your loss move on and keep fighting. Mayweather is the only credible fighter at the moment with an '0' but isnt considered great because he ducks everybody. his skills might be great but him as a fighter shouldnt even be considered as a great. Margo,williams,cotto,jmm,ODH,pac,morales,mosely man i could go forever all great names tha have fought each other and lost to each other.

Comment

Working...
                    X