Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Navigating a Prudent, Profitable Path in Canelo Alvarez's Final Years

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Navigating a Prudent, Profitable Path in Canelo Alvarez's Final Years

As Saul "Canelo" Alvarez enters the twilight years of his boxing career, he remains the most popular and profitable fighter in the world. What might he do with all that leverage in the time he has left in the ring?
    [Click Here To Read More]
    Last edited by BoxingUpdates; 05-02-2024, 07:56 PM.

Just make it a circus act. He could do that into his forties. Not a fan of who he fights or not fights anymore.

Comment

So mungia can get a shot by beating old derv and old Ryder, and berlaga is lined up for a shot after doing nothing,but David beats plant and Andrade,and potentially also has to move up and beat gvozdyk and the winner of Bivol-Artur just to get a shot at the ginger? Crazy the amount of nonsense the ginger gets away with.

Comment

There was a debate yesterday on another thread about whether promoters work for fighters, or fighters work for promoters.

Imho situations like this, where (love him or hate him) such a long-standing champion has acquired enough power to literally dictate to any promoter with whom he chooses to work, will always remain extraordinarily rare. From the fans' perspective, this rarity is a great thing because we already see enough politics & unnecessary mismatches in this sport.

In 4 of his final 6 pro fights he fought Canelo, Maidana twice & Pacquiao, yet Floyd still took a lot of flack for the way he "navigat(ed) a prudent, profitable path" towards retirement. That was (love him or hate him) after an absolutely stellar career with an abundance of killers on his resumé.

Compared to Floyd, & despite taking a brave crack at Bivol, Canelo probably does deserve to take some s h i t for his recent choices *shrug*.​

Comment

Canelo has done a lot for boxing, he deserves to be in the position of calling the shots
          alexoneness alexoneness likes this.

Comment

Mungia, Berlanga, Benavidez, retire.
            alexoneness alexoneness likes this.

Comment

Just retire. Nobody needs to see him fighting all Berlangas in the world.
              factsarenice factsarenice likes this.

Comment

I would LOVE to read an unbiased, facts only paper that outlines the arguments against Canelo. It would include the FACTS about him weight bullying, aging guys out, etc.
                He has fought a ton of people. He fought Floyd and GGG. Still people bash his resume. Is it really real or is it hate, picking certain facts, or biased ignoring of non-supporting evidence?
                Verus Verus likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by adotd View Post
                  Mungia, Berlanga, Benavidez, retire.
                  Why? He is 33. He has a lot time left if je want's to fight

Comment

Mayweather had a gimme fight against Berto and I really didn’t like that but other than that fight, the fights on his showtime contract were all against fighters who had come off big wins and were champions or previous champions. I could be wrong about that but I recall that being the case. If Canelo wants his last fight to be a cake walk then so be it but his last few fights shouldn’t be against people he’s expected to easily defeat. I blame his fans for this, I blame the boxing establishment, and I blame pbc as well who is going to bankrupt itself paying so much for a fighter that doesn’t provide a return on investment. Canelo IS NOT Mayweather, he doesn’t produce the PPV numbers floyd did.

Comment

Working...
                    X