Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Wilders reach give him more power in hooks?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Wilders reach give him more power in hooks?

You don't extend the arm anyway in hooks so does extra reach actually grant more power in any way shape or form?

Let's for argument sake compare a thick boned short arm like Mike Tyson, vs thin bone long arm like wilder.

Will Wilders hook have more power because it starts further away from the target due to broader shoulders?
    Last edited by automaton89; 04-25-2024, 09:22 AM.
    billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Just more leverage can let you bring more power into the equation. Longer legs, longer arms. Big feet let you plant better to turn over everything with a larger footprint. This dude at my gym reminds me of Wilder's build. Tall, lanky black kid. He's strong AF. He's absolutely shredded with a skinny/muscular look, probably 6' 3 or 4". He puts up 150lb dumbbell bench press in each arm. Maxes out 99% of the machine type lifts the gym has. Straight unit of strength but has zero bulk look on him. I imagine him if he got into boxing that his punching would be quite scary.

Comment

No, it's a different leverage point is all. Power comes from the thigh.

Comment

Originally posted by ELPacman View Post
        Just more leverage can let you bring more power into the equation. Longer legs, longer arms. Big feet let you plant better to turn over everything with a larger footprint. This dude at my gym reminds me of Wilder's build. Tall, lanky black kid. He's strong AF. He's absolutely shredded with a skinny/muscular look, probably 6' 3 or 4". He puts up 150lb dumbbell bench press in each arm. Maxes out 99% of the machine type lifts the gym has. Straight unit of strength but has zero bulk look on him. I imagine him if he got into boxing that his punching would be quite scary.
        But isnt it also because the arm starts further away with broader shoulders? So further away, longer/higher speed accelerated

Comment

are we still pretending wilder is the biggest puncher in boxing history or something nonsensical like that?

Comment

Can Wilder even throw a hook?

All we tend to see is jabs and straight or looping right hands.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post

He threw a hook on fury that floored him.

Hooks on the inside against Parker
              ​​

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                are we still pretending wilder is the biggest puncher in boxing history or something nonsensical like that?
                No way

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post

didnt he "knock out" malik scott with some sort of hook. maybe a phantom hook?

Comment

Originally posted by automaton89 View Post

He threw a hook on fury that floored him.

Hooks on the inside against Parker
                    ​​
                    That was a terrible hook, he basically slapped him, if Wilder could throw a left hook probably he could’ve finished Fury there, he was already on the way down from the right hand, a follow up left look would’ve been lights out.

Comment

Working...
                    X