Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What a waste that Canelo vs Benavidez might not happen, is such disappointment for the 168 division.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a waste that Canelo vs Benavidez might not happen, is such disappointment for the 168 division.

It's not the last opportunity that it could happen, but after today's news about Estrada vs Rodriguez, it's just disappointing that another classic fight might not happen, in the press conference and interviews, Canelo stated that:

1. Benavidez brings nothing to the table, just 20-30 pounds to the fight. Despite that Benavidez is one of the most accomplished fighters today in the division. Benavidez had become a world champ at 21 years old and was one of the most accomplished fighters in the current day's division.

2. He would only be willing to fight him if he got 3-4X times the purse than usual with 150-200$ Million dollars. Where even Turki is not willing to get involved because it would be a really unsuccessful investment compared to making a full card of Heavyweight fighters.

3. It takes two to make a memorable entertaining fight, with fighting Munguia being Mexico vs Mexico like some other great fighters have done so in the past. However, Jaime had just officially debuted at 168 against John Ryder and hasn't even fought for a title at Middleweight.

Canelo vs Munguia is a fight between a Great fighter in the P4P list against a good fighter who just came from a lower division. In the other hand Canelo vs Benavidez is a fight between two great fighters.

With Benavidez barely becoming a top 10 P4P fighter in 2023 and ranking down after the rankings changed.

It could had been an Iconic chapter in the Super Middleweight division like:

The Super Six World Boxing Classic (Andre Ward, Carl Froch, Arthur Abraham, Glen Johnson, Mikkell Kessler, Andre Dirrell, and etc)
    Gerald McClellan vs Nigel Benn
    Joe Calzaghe vs Mikkell Kessler
    Roy Jones Jr vs James Toney

(There is likely more fights out there, just don't know much of them)

There is also the Mexican vs Mexican American Civil War boxing history:

Robert Guerrero vs Orlando Salido (Salido won but was deemed a no contest after he tested positive)
    Genaro Hernandez vs Jorge Paez
    Ruben Olivares vs Bobby Chacon Trilogy (2-1 in favor of Olivares)
    Salvador Sanchez vs Danny Lopez I-II
    Humberto Gonzalez vs Michael Carbajal Trilogy
    Julio Cesar Chavez vs Oscar De La Hoya I-II
    Jose Luis Castillo vs Chico Corrales I-II
    Marco Antonio Barrera vs Johnny Tapia
    Juan Manuel Marquez vs Juan Diaz I-II

Then there is likely going to be Juan Francisco Estrada vs Jesse "Bam" Rodriguez is happening in June 29

Not liking this direction of accomplished fighter becoming less active and when they do, is mainly exhibition bouts to make a big purse with little risk involved by picking a fighter of their choosing.
    Last edited by Feroz; 03-28-2024, 08:08 PM.
Working...
X