Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Has Saturday's PBC Card Primed Boxing for a New Broadcast Era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Has Saturday's PBC Card Primed Boxing for a New Broadcast Era?

A card bejeweled with four world-championship belts on the line marks the Saturday night launch of Premier Boxing Champions' debut card on Amazon Prime Video.
    [Click Here To Read More]
    Last edited by BoxingUpdates; 03-27-2024, 04:50 PM.

This article is a disgrace of a puff piece that could have been written directly by PBC.

Nowhere in this article is the truth which everyone knows- this is a PPV event that costs $70… calling it PBC on prime is a bald faced lie

Comment

No it doesn’t. Boxing broadcasting is a f***ing mess atm. HBO and Showtime were staples of the sport. These streaming networks pale in comparison.

Tszyu vs Fundora wouldn’t have even been a main event on prime time HBO, yet it’s PPV on Amazon. It’s clear from the get go Amazon aren’t interested in helping the sport grow, they’re just another network looking to cash in on the increasingly oversaturated PPV market.

This is a good card, but the idea that this clown Pugmire is pushing is utter nonsense. This isn’t revolutionary by any means. Don King cards in the late 90’s and early 2000’s were way deeper. Hopkins vs Joppy had 7 world title fights on the undercard, including an undisputed fight between Spinks and Mayorga. Some of these supposed “journalists” are such obvious stooges.

Comment

Since I already have prime , I was like OK when I heard the news of PBC going to Amazon ...........Then they throw their 1st card on PPV , this is going into the streambin .They ,missed the mark with this throwing on it on prime video was the move...
        Last edited by Brother Mouzone; 03-27-2024, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Just bringing it to Amazon won't increase the audience size. No casual is going to say "Oh, only $70 for guys I never heard of before." Boxing is left with hardcore fans willing to pay $70 for a diluted product and people who know how to steal it.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzbron View Post
            This article is a disgrace of a puff piece that could have been written directly by PBC.

Nowhere in this article is the truth which everyone knows- this is a PPV event that costs $70… calling it PBC on prime is a bald faced lie
            would you rather them call it "PPV on internet"?

Comment

Did they lower the price?

Comment

Originally posted by wrecksracer View Post
                Just bringing it to Amazon won't increase the audience size. No casual is going to say "Oh, only $70 for guys I never heard of before." Boxing is left with hardcore fans willing to pay $70 for a diluted product and people who know how to steal it.
                Yes I do agree that 200 million subs globally will not all of a sudden becoming PPV buying boxing fans but I hope to gawd that the Amazon engineers are trying to figure out some mew tech to prevent people from stealing streams on THEIR FIRESTICK DAMMIT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
                  No it doesn’t. Boxing broadcasting is a f***ing mess atm. HBO and Showtime were staples of the sport. These streaming networks pale in comparison.

Tszyu vs Fundora wouldn’t have even been a main event on prime time HBO, yet it’s PPV on Amazon. It’s clear from the get go Amazon aren’t interested in helping the sport grow, they’re just another network looking to cash in on the increasingly oversaturated PPV market.

This is a good card, but the idea that this clown Pugmire is pushing is utter nonsense. This isn’t revolutionary by any means. Don King cards in the late 90’s and early 2000’s were way deeper. Hopkins vs Joppy had 7 world title fights on the undercard, including an undisputed fight between Spinks and Mayorga. Some of these supposed “journalists” are such obvious stooges.
                  Problem is boxing of the 90s was far better than boxing in 2024 where boxers avoid each other

Comment

Boxing needs to wean itself off the need for belts. Nonsense belts do not make a fight important. Boxing also needs to wean itself off charging PPV for non-PPV-worthy fights.

The developments mentioned in this article may actually be damaging in the long term to the sport. Saudi Arabia overpaying for fights is little different to when DAZN was overpaying for fights -- it creates an expectation among fighters for unsustainable payouts.

I wish PBC and Amazon luck with this new venture, but I don't think it's going to transform or save the sport. Charging 70 bucks for a PPV when the fighters are well known with crossover appeal is one thing. Charging it for fighters that no-one outside boxing knows about is the definition of niche. It won't bring in new fans and just tries to squeeze the most out of the existing fanbase, such as it is.
                    El_Feroz99 El_Feroz99 likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X