Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who had a better run of title defences Gennady Golovkin or Joe Calzaghe?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who had a better run of title defences Gennady Golovkin or Joe Calzaghe?

Was having this debate as a topic on another forum.

​​​​​​Who had a better run of title defences Gennady Golovkin at 160 or Joe Calzaghe at 168?

For me, i had to give it to GGG as Calzaghe had 15 title defences outside opponents of the top 10. To my surprise the poll was quite even, maybe due to nostalgia.

What's you guys take/argument? Keep it civil!

Calzaghe, he beat tf outta drug cheats like bhop and roid Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Teetotaler69 View Post
      Calzaghe, he beat tf outta drug cheats like bhop and roid Jones
      and those fights were at 168?
      messi807 messi807 likes this.

Comment

Golovkin for me. Aside from the Mitchell fight, I don’t think I’ve ever watched a Calzaghe defence back pre-Lacy.
        Shadoww702 Shadoww702 likes this.

Comment

Calzaghe has the ugliest boxing style known to man.

He fights like a hairhatted hooligan.

this is why nobody even wants to watch a documentary on him. Any highlight footage just discredits the sport of boxing.

Him and Andre Ward are black eyes to the sport of boxing
          Regge Regge tonysoprano tonysoprano like this.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
            Golovkin for me. Aside from the Mitchell fight, I don’t think I’ve ever watched a Calzaghe defence back pre-Lacy.
            in fairness or unfairness to calzaghe the wbo wasnt really seen as one of the major belts until the early 2000's so half his "reign" is disputed. wbo was like the ibo or some crap now and in retrospect it shouldnt have been seen as legit but here we are. most of his title defenses especially early on his career were just laughable bum fests or bums on parade if you will. even the name guys he fought were always coming off recent losses: reid lost to malinga, had 1 tuneup then fought calzaghe. woodhall lost to beyer, had 1 tune up then fought calzaghe. brewer got ko'd by echols, had 1 fight then fought calzaghe. mitchell lost to ottke, then fought calzaghe. and those are the best guys he fought until lacy, bika, and kessler partially redeemed him at the end of his career.
            Last edited by daggum; 03-27-2024, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadShots View Post
              Calzaghe has the ugliest boxing style known to man.

He fights like a hairhatted hooligan.

this is why nobody even wants to watch a documentary on him. Any highlight footage just discredits the sport of boxing.

Him and Andre Ward are black eyes to the sport of boxing
              I get it if one likes exemplary boxing, it's understandable. I have always liked the twisted-style boxers more. As long as they fight by the rules, big bravo for being so unorthodox, but successful.
              messi807 messi807 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post

This is exactly what I'm thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post

Yeah I know. I answered the question

Comment

Originally posted by fifth_root View Post

I get it if one likes exemplary boxing, it's understandable. I have always liked the twisted-style boxers more. As long as they fight by the rules, big bravo for being so unorthodox, but successful.
                    well the rules of boxing clearly state no hitting with the inside of the glove or wrist which is largely what he did to generate his great "hand speed" in a side to side motion instead of the proper forward and back motion but yeah its not legal but then again its not enforced. i have only seen robin reid penalized for hitting with the inside of the glove but that was against sven ottke so they could rob reid and i dont think reid was even doing it.

Comment

Working...
                    X