Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Will Artur Beterbiev-Dmitrii Bivol Winner Face David Benavidez Next?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bizmarke32 View Post

This is a totally different situation, I could not disagree more with your assessment, David is starting to tap the mainstream before he even fights Canelo. He is American, he speaks English, a very fan friendly style, he could be a successor to Canelo at this pace, a win would make him the biggest star in US boxing, and among the biggest in the world. So taking 5 mil now, to make 30 mil later ain't such a bad play. I am in the Canelo camp, but for gosh sakes, everyone needs to start giving David his respect.
    he is just one of future Bivol`s victims.

Comment

Originally posted by DClefthook View Post

Very nicely written but I respectfully disagree with a few points. "the Mexican public will never accept him as their own".I agree that the Mexican public should never David as their own because he is not one of theirs, he is one of ours. David is a stone cold red blooded American. More American than basketball, BBQ and apple pie. Why do fighters like David and Ryan have to pass some type of litmus test to get the approvalof Mexican fans. David and Ryan's parents left Mexico to settle in the US to give their family a better chance to succeed.Are they not real Mexicans too? I don't see a bunch of Americans dragging their kids through the Mississippi bayou or the Rocky mountains across the southern border for a better life. It's the other way around. So while I agree that Mexicans that grew up in Mexico proper should be proud of their heritage, David and Ryan should be proud of their upbringing as well. Why do we have to put on kid gloves everytime we mention the Mexican boxing fan base just to appease them. Why don't we do that for anyone else? Someone please enlighten me as to what is a real Mexican. I'm not being facetious.
      You raised a lot of good thoughtful points. I will address only a few. Mexicans are very proud of their country and culture and they do have some affinity for Mexican Americans, but they also know the difference between them. I recall when De La Hoya fought Chavez; the hate directed at Oscar by the Mexican people was palpable. This is just one of many such examples of Mexicans making that distinction. They will not accept the idea of a Mexican American representing Mexico and the Mexican people any more than the people of Ireland accept the idea of Jack Dempsey, an Irish American representing the people of the Emerald Isle. Another example is when the Mexican government complained about the appointment by the U.S. government of Julian Nava as U.S. Ambassador to Mexico. They groused that they were being disrespected by the appointment of a Mexican American. Another minor correction, David's "parents" did not leave Mexico. Perhaps his father did. The mother is not Mexican. Your question as to who is a real Mexican. The Mexican people are the so-called "real" Mexicans. Would you claim that General Eisenhower, a German American, was a "real" German, or that George Stephanopoulos, a Greek American, was a "real" Greek?
      DClefthook DClefthook likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Verus View Post

I am not sure that Benavidez's legacy will be enhanced if he beats Canelo. The prevailing thinking among haters, pundits, and even general boxing fans is that Canelo is not the fighter he once was. Moreover, the reality is more and more people are accepting the idea that Benavidez is way way too big for the 168 lb class. In a word, he is a weight bully. Plus, he has been around long enough to have established himself among the general public. Apart from boxing aficionados, the general public has not a clue as to who Benavidez is. This is evidenced by the dismal 66,000 PPVs for the recent fight with Andrade. Finally, the Mexican public will never accept him as one of their own. The Benavidez fan base, apart from Juan Manuel Marquez and a few other ex-fighters who hate Canelo with passion, is non-existent among Mexicans.
        Canelos whole career was built on opponents who were past their prime, but apparently that would not fly for Benavidez? Interesting. I wonder if I could use that same standard for Canelo?

Calling him a weight bully is such a weak pathetic excuse to minimize David. I would expect nothing less from a Canelo nut hugger, which is ironic considering Canelo has spent a large part of his career weight bullying opponents. Infact he dragged his last opponent up 2 divisions. Canelo fans really are the pits.

Comment

Jr., Sr. and Haymon's lap dog Sampson should rather continue their LOYALTY and stay inside the cult.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle01 View Post

Canelos whole career was built on opponents who were past their prime, but apparently that would not fly for Benavidez? Interesting. I wonder if I could use that same standard for Canelo?

Calling him a weight bully is such a weak pathetic excuse to minimize David. I would expect nothing less from a Canelo nut hugger, which is ironic considering Canelo has spent a large part of his career weight bullying opponents. Infact he dragged his last opponent up 2 divisions. Canelo fans really are the pits.
            That Canelo has fought smaller men at times does not mean that Benavidez is not a weight bully. A difference between the two in that regard is Canelo has also fought guys who are much bigger than him. That is something Benavidez has never done. He has always, without exception, been the bigger man in the ring. I am not minimizing Benavidez. He is what he is. He is a boxer who started out as a heavyweight, fights at 168 lbs, without much mass appeal whom the Canelo haters have picked as their current hope to beat Alvarez. He also has fast hands and is undefeated. Let's see what the future holds for him.
            100million 100million likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing 112 View Post

It is just a load of empty talk. He knows they will never accept 5m. These boxers and their teams have always loved claiming we will fight for less money and its not about money its about legacy first. No, it is always about money first, and nothing wrong with it they're getting punched in the head go make the biggest pay you can. But we all know the we'll take less money and its legacy more than money talks from boxers is just all talk.
              They want Canelo because it is the biggest payday. Even if he won Canelo that will not lead to a bigger payday than Canelo because Canelo is the biggest star in boxing in terms of financially outside of heavyweights.
              Bivol took 3m to fight Canelo

Comment

You raised a lot of good thoughtful points. I will address only a few. Mexicans are very proud of their country and culture and they do have some affinity for Mexican Americans, but they also know the difference between them. I recall when De La Hoya fought Chavez; the hate directed at Oscar by the Mexican people was palpable. This is just one of many such examples of Mexicans making that distinction. They will not accept the idea of a Mexican American representing Mexico and the Mexican people any more than the people of Ireland accept the idea of Jack Dempsey, an Irish American representing the people of the Emerald Isle. Another example is when the Mexican government complained about the appointment by the U.S. government of Julian Nava as U.S. Ambassador to Mexico. They groused that they were being disrespected by the appointment of a Mexican American. Another minor correction, David's "parents" did not leave Mexico. Perhaps his father did. The mother is not Mexican. Your question as to who is a real Mexican. The Mexican people are the so-called "real" Mexicans. Would you claim that General Eisenhower, a German American, was a "real" German, or that George Stephanopoulos, a Greek American, was a "real" Greek?
                Well said sir well said!!

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post

Bivol took 3m to fight Canelo
                  Yup.

I am sure Bivol will make a career payday fighting Beterbiev...not Canelo..lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Doubledagger View Post

We’ll find out when Bivol gets in the ring with Beterbiev if he really is much better than the Nail or not.

Personally I call Bs

Bivol is overrated and is about to get run over by Beterbiev

Dont say I didn’t warn you
                    Warn me? I have so much good in my life. That I could'nt care less if Beterbiev destroys Bivol.

I Love Boxing but is not in my top 100 most important thing in my life.

And responding to your comment.

i think Benavidez can beat Gvoz. If Benavidez team didn't think so. Well they wouldn't fight him Just like they didn"'t fight Morrell

Bivol even if he loses to Beterviev at 175 with his resume his skills and style is so much levels above Benavidez.

And when Benavidez goes up to fight to 175 to fight Gvoz or Bivol or Beterbiev. And then wants to squeeze down to 168 to fight Canelo. That's not good for Benavidez.

Then Canelo is gonna put a savage beating on Benavidez.

Benavidez is tosted. Simple as
                    Last edited by 100million; 03-26-2024, 12:03 PM.

Comment

I remember the De la hoya era back in the 90s and I guess that's where I based my assessment on. I could never understand why he was loved by blacks (me) whites and other hispanic Americans but was hated by Mexicans. To me he served them honorably. Yes George Step___________ (try saying that's fats 10x) is Greek but he is revered by fellow Greek Americans and in Greece. Same as Jack Dempsey. Eisenhower on the other hand was commanding the forces that were defeating is motherland so that's another story. Even when boxers throughout the African diaspora (like Julian Jackson) fight in America he is loved and respected like one of our own. I just never felt that with the Mexican fanbase. But you seem as though you have a deep and personal knowledge of this field sonI will defer to you sir. Great convo!

Comment

Working...
                      X