Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the Top Greatest Fighters from the Caribbean Islands?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Regge View Post

Again where it counts...who cares about amateur records lol

Cubans are notorious for fumbling during big prize fights....where it counts.

Name me the last Cuban who accomplished as much as Wilfredo GomeZ, Benitez and Tito Trinidad heck even Cotto?
    Where it counts? Cubans did it before PR and even Mexico. you delivered it, left out the part where Cuba didn't have any representation for almost sixty years. we know the only culprit is castro. But, I'm pretty sure guys like Stevenson, Savon, Anldama, Milian, and countless others would have been good and some greats. It didn't happen that way, but we do have three guys that always pop up on ATG lists.
    ps. The Olympics counts too, different than professional but it counts.
    ps. Yes, some has failed, not the good ones. Casamayor had winning trilogy with Corrales and was robbed against Castillo and Freitas, Rigondeaux won in one of the biggest SBW fights facing a top p4p and reigning fighter of the year, Ugas vs pacquio(both past their prime, still he won and took the email champion stigma off) Lara completely neutralized canelo's offense, and make him look like an amateur and was robbed too. So who are you talking about? Old Ortiz?
    Last edited by garfios; 03-26-2024, 01:18 PM.
    CubanGuyNYC CubanGuyNYC likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by garfios View Post
      Where it counts? Cubans did it before PR and even Mexico. you delivered it, left out the part where Cuba didn't have any representation for almost sixty years. we know the only culprit is castro. But, I'm pretty sure guys like Stevenson, Savon, Anldama, Milian, and countless others would have been good and some greats. It didn't happen that way, but we do have three guys that always pop up on ATG lists.
      ps. The Olympics counts too, different than professional but it counts.
      ps. Yes, some has failed, not the good ones. Casamayor had winning trilogy with Corrales and was robbed against Castillo and Freitas, Rigondeaux won in one of the biggest SBW fights facing a top p4p and reigning fighter of the year, Ugas vs pacquio(both past their prime, still he won and took the email champion stigma off) Lara completely neutralized canelo's offense, and make him look like an amateur and was robbed too. So who are you talking about? Old Ortiz?
      Man stop it with your BS Manny was a 40+ yr dinosaur while Ugas was at his best STOP trying to change the narrative because the fukin world would tell you prime Manny literally annihilates average ass Ugas.

Name me 3 Cubans of the last 30 yrs that can be considered legitimately all time great fighters in the pros? Be honest now not top fighters like Casamyor or Rigo or Lara but legit ATGs.....I'll waite.

The problem is fools like you only see what you wanna see Lara ran straight up ran like a litle ***** all night he did not box canelo like Floyd did he literally ran for dear life if a fighter is given wins for NOT engaging then we might as well kill off prize fighting and Stick to amtuers. Canelo worked laras body and landed the more effective shots plain n simple. ***** n moan all you want but Lara lost that fight for fighting like a fairy ‍♀️. Then Lara proceeds to get pumbled by B level guys like Angulo(he was losing and dropped before the ending) and castano and that other 6ft tall b level brawler who lost to Williams can't even remember his name lol

Fact is Most Cubans in the pros never reach legit great status they lack something call it heart or hunger but it seems like once they make the trip to the US they lose it that and the Cuban amtuer style doesn't always translate to the pros especially when the going gets tough. I know Cubans don't wanna hear that but that it is the truth.
      Last edited by Regge; 03-26-2024, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Regge View Post

Man stop it with your BS Manny was a 40+ yr dinosaur while Ugas was at his best STOP trying to change the narrative because the fukin world would tell you prime Manny literally annihilates average ass Ugas.

Name me 3 Cubans of the last 30 yrs that can be considered legitimately all time great fighters in the pros? Be honest now not top fighters like Casamyor or Rigo or Lara but legit ATGs.....I'll waite.

The problem is fools like you only see what you wanna see Lara ran straight up ran like a litle ***** all night he did not box canelo like Floyd did he literally ran for dear life if a fighter is given wins for NOT engaging then we might as well kill off prize fighting and Stick to amtuers. Canelo worked laras body and landed the more effective shots plain n simple. ***** n moan all you want but Lara lost that fight for fighting like a fairy ‍♀️. Then Lara proceeds to get pumbled by B level guys like Angulo(he was losing and dropped before the ending) and castano and that other 6ft tall b level brawler who lost to Williams can't even remember his name lol

Fact is Most Cubans in the pros never reach legit great status they lack something call it heart or hunger but it seems like once they make the trip to the US they lose it that and the Cuban amtuer style doesn't always translate to the pros especially when the going gets tough. I know Cubans don't wanna hear that but that it is the truth.
        Past his prime just like Manny, less older not at his best, you're the one fitting the narrative. Just a few months prior everyone including you were saying he wasn't the champ, because manny got stripped and he would had walk through him, so after the fight he was old, but was the favorite. And yes you're right about they making money and going through the motions after. Do you know why? Find out how many of them has defected with their family, or the struggles to just make it here, heart they have to spare, complacency yes,and how old they're and what they left behind. Find another athlete in the whole world that have to go through that $h1t just to compete at the highest level. The new wave are younger and with a stronger support system, some like Morrell Jr have their family or a least the closest with them and yet, just like their predecessors they're avoided too, go figure. Do your homework before talking out of your @$$, and watch that fight again and you will see how your fraud face looked after the fight. Just when you said PR is not at fault for castros decision, which is true, Lara is not a fault for the lack of speed noe knowledge on how to cut the ring, or fight a technical boxer. They tried to robb bivol too, almost.
        ps. I know I'm wasting my time, but if you think Angulo was pummeling Lara in that fight you're a biased a$$ hater. First the ring was like 16×16, secondly they went to Lara's dressing room and told him he couldn't rehydrate more than 10 pounds, so he kept it at 164, nobody told perro, he rehydrate 20 pounds and didn't have to worry about his weight. I bet you you knew about this "little nuances" but kept it to yourself to make your story more believable. GTFO, do you think I follow fighters? I follow boxing for over 60 years.
        Last edited by garfios; 03-26-2024, 04:12 PM.
        CubanGuyNYC CubanGuyNYC likes this.

Comment

Past his prime just like Manny, less older not at his best, you're the one fitting the narrative. Just a few months prior everyone including you were saying he wasn't the champ, because manny got stripped and he would had walk through him, so after the fight he was old, but was the favorite. And yes you're right about they making money and going through the motions after. Do you know why? Find out how many of them has defected with their family, or the struggles to just make it here, heart they have to spare, complacency yes,and how old they're and what they left behind. Find another athlete in the whole world that have to go through that $h1t just to compete at the highest level. The new wave are younger and with a stronger support system, some like Morrell Jr have their family or a least the closest with them and yet, just like their predecessors they're avoided too, go figure. Do your homework before talking out of your @$$, and watch that fight again and you will see how your fraud face looked after the fight. Just when you said PR is not at fault for castros decision, which is true, Lara is not a fault for the lack of speed noe knowledge on how to cut the ring, or fight a technical boxer. They tried to robb bivol too, almost.
          ps. I know I'm wasting my time, but if you think Angulo was pummeling Lara in that fight you're a biased a$$ hater. First the ring was like 16×16, secondly they went to Lara's dressing room and told him he couldn't rehydrate more than 10 pounds, so he kept it at 164, nobody told perro, he rehydrate 20 pounds and didn't have to worry about his weight. I bet you you knew about this "little nuances" but kept it to yourself to make your story more believable. GTFO, do you think I follow fighters? I follow boxing for over 60 years.
          I enjoy having intelligent discussions with people, which is very rare here. It’s sports, so people will always disagree. I don’t mind that; I expect it. But when someone fails to recognize that 65 years of oppression and isolation might just affect the professional output of a nation, the conversation isn’t worth having. Then dudes will argue that a certain fighter was greater than another fighter, and I urge them to look up lists by professional sportswriters to see what they think and I get crickets. Lol

I have the hope and expectation that with Cuban athletes coming over at younger ages, our professional performance will increase greatly. What saddens me is that the past is gone. So many of our athletes didn’t get a chance. And I don’t care what anyone says, boxing isn’t what it used to be. The golden years are no more.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post

I enjoy having intelligent discussions with people, which is very rare here. It’s sports, so people will always disagree. I don’t mind that; I expect it. But when someone fails to recognize that 65 years of oppression and isolation might just affect the professional output of a nation, the conversation isn’t worth having. Then dudes will argue that a certain fighter was greater than another fighter, and I urge them to look up lists by professional sportswriters to see what they think and I get crickets. Lol

I have the hope and expectation that with Cuban athletes coming over at younger ages, our professional performance will increase greatly. What saddens me is that the past is gone. So many of our athletes didn’t get a chance. And I don’t care what anyone says, boxing isn’t what it used to be. The golden years are no more.
            They're not challenging themselves, used to be you needed to fight the best to make money, not anymore, if you have a following in Instagram you made the money fighting a cab driver from the UK

Comment

They're not challenging themselves, used to be you needed to fight the best to make money, not anymore, if you have a following in Instagram you made the money fighting a cab driver from the UK
              That’s right. The grittiness that made the sport so noble and exciting is fading. Like everything else in our society now, it’s all about the quick buck — all these exhibitions and dodging worthy opponents. I have to give Crawford and Spence credit; their meeting was a throwback to a better time in the sport.
              garfios garfios likes this.

Comment

That’s right. The grittiness that made the sport so noble and exciting is fading. Like everything else in our society now, it’s all about the quick buck — all these exhibitions and dodging worthy opponents. I have to give Crawford and Spence credit; their meeting was a throwback to a better time in the sport.
                Eh, I mean I am glad the fight happened but.

-Took 6 years to make it happen.

-They did haven't much activity after 2020, Spence had like 2 fights and Crawford had like 3 fights.

-They held the WW division at a standstill for years. Leaving it in a scrappy state, both having left it behind.

-Both were had declined physically, especially Spence.

Also about Regge/Garfios comments.

It's difficult to give Ugas credit about the Pacquiao win, Ugas had just turned 35 years old in a month having a good activity rate with a win over former contender Abel Ramos a year ago. In the other Hand Pacquiao was 42 years old (four months before turning 43) having been inactive for nearly three years later after fighting Keith Thurman by SD (despite the knockdown, the body shot and winning more convincingly) and being busy as a senator in the Philippines.

Ugas might have declining because of age, but nowhere near the same rate as Manny Pacquiao. Whose also in the smaller side.
                Last edited by Feroz; 03-29-2024, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Feroz View Post

Eh, I mean I am glad the fight happened but.

-Took 6 years to make it happen.

-They did haven't much activity after 2020, Spence had like 2 fights and Crawford had like 3 fights.

-They held the WW division at a standstill for years. Leaving it in a scrappy state, both having left it behind.

-Both were had declined physically, especially Spence.
                  And that’s partly my point. How often do we get to see a fight worth watching between two high-profile boxers in their prime? The sport is in bad shape.
                  El Escorpion Feroz likes this.

Comment

And that’s partly my point. How often do we get to see a fight worth watching between two high-profile boxers in their prime? The sport is in bad shape.
                    At least 2023 has been a pretty great year for boxing, not sure if it's thanks to Turki's financial investments or if the Garcia vs Davis fight enticed promoters to make bigger fights after the conjoined PPV results between two in-house fighters.

The sanctioning bodies still have their favorites though like Navarrete (WBO), Charlo (WBC), Spence (WBA), Canelo (WBC), Loma (WBO) and etc. Which will likely impede fighters from having any urgency from defending against any mandatories. There is also the absurdly low activity rate, where a fighter fights maximum 2 fights, which could be a handpicked fighter that is at a disadvantage.
                    Last edited by Feroz; 03-29-2024, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Feroz View Post

At least 2023 has been a pretty great year for boxing, not sure if it's thanks to Turki's financial investments or if the Garcia vs Davis fight enticed promoters to make bigger fights after the conjoined PPV results between two in-house fighters.

The sanctioning bodies still have their favorites though like Navarrete (WBO), Charlo (WBC), Spence (WBA), Canelo (WBC), Loma (WBO) and etc. Which will likely impede fighters from having any urgency from defending against any mandatories. There is also the absurdly low activity rate, where a fighter fights maximum 2 fights, which could be a handpicked fighter that is at a disadvantage.
                      Yet another compliant. At the modern rate of fighting, future “ATGs” will have something like 30 total fights. In keeping with our discussion, I’ll cite Kid Gavilan’s 143 career fights. That’s never to be seen again.
                      El Escorpion Feroz likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X