Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would Marco Antonio Barrera fair at 122-130 in the late 70s?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would Marco Antonio Barrera fair at 122-130 in the late 70s?

Marco Antonio Barrera Tapia (born January 17, 1974) (67-7, 44 KOs) nicknamed the Baby Faced Assasin is a Mexican former professional boxer who competed from 1989 to 2011. He held multiple world championships in three weight classes between 1995 and 2007, from super bantamweight to super featherweight.

He has beaten the likes of:

Agapito Sanchez (17-4-2): Have beaten undefeated Oscar Larios who became a two division champion at 122-126.

Robbie Peden (25-2): IBF super featherweight champion by knocking out Nate Campbell.

Rocky Juarez X2 (25-1)(25-2): Silver Olympic Medalist and multiple time world title challenger. He had defeated Zahir Raheem who pulled the upset against Erik Morales and had a draw with Chris John.

Kennedy Mckinney (28-1): Olympic Gold Medalist, won by TKO against big puncher Junior Jones (44-2) who had Barrera's number twice, even after Marco had improved significantly in the rematch.

Johnny Tapia (52-2-2): Three division champion (115,118 and 126). He beat Danny Romero who was a two division champion at 112-115. He had beaten Cesar Soto (WBC featherweight champion) who stopped Jose Luis Castillo in twice in one sided fights. Mauricio Pastrana, a four weight world champion at 108 up to 118, who had beaten ATG Michael Carbajal by SD. Tapia also had beaten Jorge Elicier Julio who was two time bantamweight champion, he was also the first fighter to had dropped Junior Jones. Lastly he beaten Manuel Medina, a five time featherweight champion.

Kevin Kelley (54-5-2): WBC featherweight champion who had beaten champions like Humberto Soto and Derrick Gainer.

Paulie Ayala (35-2) had defeated Johnny Bredahl a champion at (115-118) and HOF Johnny Tapia X2.

Naseem Hamed (35-0) a HOF/ATG who had beaten Wilfredo Vazquez, Cesar Soto, Wayne McCullough, Kevin Kelley and Manuel Medina.

Erik Morales X2 (42-0) (47-1) ATG who had beaten Pablo Cesar Cano, In-Jin Chi, Jesus Chavez, Daniel Zaragoza, Junior Jones, Wayne McCullough, Marco Antonio Barrera, Kevin Kelley, Guty Espadas Jr X2, Paulie Ayala, and Manny Pacquiao.

At 130, Barrera also had a controversial loss to Juan Manuel Marquez.

The late 70s had stacked divisions with the likes of Bobby Chacon, Cornelius Boza-Edwards, Danny Lopez, Azumah Nelson, Wilfredo Gomez, Salvador Sanchez, and Alexis Arguello. (There is more, that's just what I remembered so far)

Last edited by Feroz; 03-18-2024, 11:05 PM.

You forgot Limon and Navarette

that being said, from your list i could only see two names that definitely beats him. everyone else is beatable for barrera.

El Escorpion Feroz likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by PryorHawk View Post
      You forgot Limon and Navarette

that being said, from your list i could only see two names that definitely beats him. everyone else is beatable for barrera.
      Forgot about Bazooka Limon and Rolando Navarrete, these two fought Castillo, Chacon and Edwards aswell.

By the way I think Barrera was overall more fundamentally sound than Morales/Marquez after losing to Junior Jones, throwing a lot of high output combinations with impressive handspeed and developed a superb piston fast jab.

He however had average power, reason why his skill wasn't enough to beat a athletic phenom like Pacquiao. I think he fairs well with Sanchez even if he losses while Gomez and Arguello would prove the most troublesome. Barrera however I think can beat Gomez due to his size advantage. (Also because of his wars with Morales and Marquez showed how good of a chin he has.)

I think he beats competitively most featherweights, although I haven't seen enough on Azumah Nelson.

Last edited by Feroz; 03-18-2024, 11:49 PM.
      PryorHawk PryorHawk likes this.

Comment

Barrera is a throwback fighter who would be a stud in any era.
        El Escorpion Feroz likes this.

Comment

Working...
        X