Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: "Fighting Words" -- Mike Tyson-Jake Paul: The Devil Is In The Details

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've paid for a lot worse "real fights". McNeely? That was so bad King had to put the Mathis fight on free TV due to the backlash.

Comment

I'm ok with this - ahem - event. Don't like it, don't watch.

I'm also ok with this article being on a boxing site. Don't like it, don't read.
      greeneye99 greeneye99 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Liondw View Post
        I understand the writer's skepticsm, but I think the article is too cynical.

Apparently it's not going to be an exhibition. Also, why wouldn't Mike really go for it and throw punches with full force against a very young, strong guy who is still a basic boxer?

I mean, he shouldn't want to hold back as against Jones, because what can you hold back at age 57 or 58? No, you go there swinging for the fences.

That is, as long as there's not some behind the scenes agreement to take it easy for eight rounds and not hurt each other, especially for Mike not to ko Jake quickly. Which Tyson could do, by the way.
        I believe it will be the real deal. Realistically speaking, Tyson, to win, has to do it early. After a couple of rounds or so he gasses, and Paul's youth and strength takes over the fight.

Comment

I think 58 years old Mike Tyson will destroy Paul , trust me
          Beercules Beercules likes this.

Comment

Is this fight free on Netflix?

Comment

I hope Tyson knocks him TFO

Comment

Originally posted by wileyhemi View Post

I think what's required is awareness of how sad a state boxing is in when this article appears on a boxing site and not strictly on entertainment sites like TMZ, People etc
                Thanks for the feedback! Whether we like it or not, Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul will be the biggest boxing event — or boxing-adjacent event, if that's how one prefers to frame it — of the year.

That's not why I wrote this, though. The inspiration for this article was actually out of the concerns I heard, and that I initially felt, when this fight was announced. Concerns about a 58-year-old man taking punches. Or, conversely, concerns about a relative boxing novice stepping in with a former heavyweight champion. Some tried to argue that we shouldn't be worried, as this will actually be an exhibition — and that led me to take the angle that this article has, which is that an exhibition fight doesn't necessarily make things safe, but that the approach I believe Mike Tyson and Jake Paul and the athletic commission will take that will hopefully make this safe(r).

I'm always open to suggestions for column ideas for my weekly pieces here, so please feel to message me if there's a story in boxing that you feel deserves to told. One of my favorite articles I ever wrote came from a tip someone gave me about a boxing judge who had recently retired, and why.

https://www.boxingscene.com/fighting...career--103589

Over these years that I've been writing for BoxingScene — all the way back to 2004! — I've been fortunate to cover the big fights and the little ones, the big issues and the things that people don't know about (but should), and even some of the circuses that our sport and the industry bring forth on occasion.

One thing I've learned over the years is not every article will be a hit, and even the articles that I thought I did well on won't necessarily resonate with everyone. Sorry that this one didn't reach you, but I nonetheless appreciate that you gave it a chance. On to the next!
                Last edited by Mr. David; 03-16-2024, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxknowledge75 View Post
                  Is this fight free on Netflix?

Yes, the fight is free on Netflix. No PPV, just the usual subscription.

Comment

Working...
                  X