Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canelo vs. Munguia is a DECENT fight. Not a great one.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canelo vs. Munguia is a DECENT fight. Not a great one.

image.png
    People flack on Canelo for not fighting Benavidez next.

On the show we've said that Benavidez should logically be next. If only to shut up naysayers. Because to this day ("TILL THIS DAY!"), we think Canelo makes Benavidez look like less of a monster on the night even if Benavidez gets the W.

But here's the truth that many of you on NSB don't want to hear.

The reason that a lot of you are angry about the Munguia announcement is that you want Canelo to take another L.

Yes...it's more about dislike of Canelo than it is being fans of Benavidez. Canelo has solidified his seat as the heir apparent to Floyd - people want to see him lose so bad he's banking multi-millions.

You know that Munguia isn't good enough to hand Canelo an L. You know that fight likely goes the same way as Canelo/Saunders. You know that it's basically just a payday for Munguia, who will then later look lackluster against his next opponents and retire in disgrace. You know that.

BUT...Munguia will fight his ass off up until he gets hit. And it's a huge test for him. If he somehow pulls it out, you'll be forced to acknowledge him. But you won't.

You'll say that Canelo was washed, he was old, he was damaged by Bivol, etc. You'll make excuses and not give Munguia the credit.

Now allegedly, Munguia's side negotiated and was granted a rematch offer in the event he loses. Can't find any secondary sources to confirm that. Jermell apparently had a similar clause as did Khan, but there's never been anyone who called for a rematch against Canelo other than Golovkin thus far. Canelo had a rematch clause against Bivol, he never claimed it.

So if he granted Munguia the ability to do a rematch, it tells me that he plans to dominate this kid and beat him into submission to make a statement. Which means we might see Munguia fall victim to what happened to Andrade.

Once again...from our lens, Canelo should fight Benavidez now, because Benavidez is red hot.

BUT...the fight against Munguia is a good test to see what level he's at, and more importantly, to know for sure whether Canelo is truly washed or not. Because remember: prime Canelo would make Munguia quit inside of 8 rounds. So for us that's the bar to reach.
    Last edited by Combat Talk Radio; 03-13-2024, 08:40 AM.

Some people think that this fight isn’t dangerous for Canelo. Seeing what I’ve seen of Munguia at 168 is a real threat. Why? He’s been fighting at 160 for a long time. I think he’s been fighting WEAK at 160. He’s a man now and at his PEAK and Canelo is OLD.
    Dangerous fight for Canelo. I see a CLOSE FIGHT.
    The ones in here wining about this fight being made will be the SAME people all pissed off that a close fight went to Canelo. They are just children who want to see Canelo loose. He will eventually loose cause he’s OLD NOW. Probably will be to Munguia.

Comment

IMO, Its the 3rd best fight Canelo could take, only behind Benavidez and Morrell

Comment

PPV was reserved for huge fights that captured the imagination. Now is to watch the star fight someone.

Comment

Originally posted by STREET CLEANER View Post
          PPV was reserved for huge fights that captured the imagination. Now is to watch the star fight someone.
          A match-up that captures the imagination can still be a mismatch, i.e. Joshua vs. Ngannou. Tyson/McNeely supposedly broke records, but I don't believe anyone now would claim that was anything more than a mismatch. I think the primary issue is that the bar for what's considered a PPV star has been lowered. Fighters are being placed on PPV before they're ready.
          Leicesterage Combat Talk Radio likes this.

Comment

I guess it is better than Canelo fighting Charlo.

Comment

"The reason that a lot of you are angry about the Munguia announcement is that you want Canelo to take another L."

Not really. If people are going to continue to sing his praises,and call him the best pfp fighter in the world,he needs to fight the best opponents out there. If he loses as a byproduct of testing and challenging himself (as 99% of all the greats have) then so be it. I gained more respect for him fighting bivol,compared to all the Khan,Kirkland,yildrim,angulo,smiths,and chavez jr fights combined. His fans are currently in damage control mode,scrambling around to find any sort of justification as to why Canelo chose Jaime over David,and trying as hard as possible to push against the justified backlash. If canelo is past prime at 33,and no longer wants to push himself or challenge himself against people who have a legitimate chance of winning,then fine. But drop those belts,and stop holding the sport hostage

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post

A match-up that captures the imagination can still be a mismatch, i.e. Joshua vs. Ngannou. Tyson/McNeely supposedly broke records, but I don't believe anyone now would claim that was anything more than a mismatch. I think the primary issue is that the bar for what's considered a PPV star has been lowered. Fighters are being placed on PPV before they're ready.
                Those circus fights sale because of casuals tuning in and the comeback of Tyson was so hyped even when he was in jail. Canelo's last fight against Charlo was nonsense. They were not on a collision course, there was a lot of inactivity and nobody was talking about it.

Look at all these PBC shows on ppv. Ruiz vs Ortiz doesn't belong there and they flop to a degree. A lot of the Pac fights, ex. vs Rios on ppv. I don't pay for fight like those.

Comment

The fight may be decent in terms of the credibility of the challenger, but it may be great in entertainment value. The problem is the most legitimate challenger is, and has been, available for Canelo to fight and he still chooses to move in a different direction.

I don't care if Canelo beats or loses to Benavidez. I enjoy it when Canelo goes through and fights and beats the people the haters thought he would never fight or lose to. But he needs to face the best opposition to keep the undisputed title and all the accompanying praises.
                  Leicesterage Combat Talk Radio likes this.

Comment

Decent is about the highest level Canelo is willing to go. Canelo ain't up for a great fight opponent. I blame it on that boring ass golf bs hes into now.

Comment

Working...
                    X