Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Keith Thurman: I Wish I Would've Done More, But I've Still Got More Left In The Tank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PryorHawk View Post

I can probably count on one hand how many boxers THROUGHOUT HISTORY that did well past 40.
    Foreman, Hopkins, Pacquiao briefly?

The statistics are not on your side if you are a boxer fighting into his 40s.

Father Time is undefeated.

Barroso is doing a great job fending him off for now

Don't forget

Randall Bailey,
    Ishe Smith,
    Marquez (won a title),
    Humberto Soto,
    Sergio Martinez,
    K-9 Bundrage (won a title at 41),
    Tommy Hearns (could have beaten Grant for a title if his ankle didn't give),
    Erislandy Lara reached 40 this year and he's looked better than ever as he gets older because of preservation,
    Mayweather walked down and stopped a middleweight (McGregor) at 40

etc.

Plenty of guys see success in their 40's and even beyond. Certainly rare, but just gives a picture of what talent really means.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadblock View Post

He wasn't doing it on purpose he had multiple injuries and surgery over the time that was the main reason he was out.

f391cd32963d557798b6a69de8ac41f6_xl.jpg
      "I fought you after an injury, I fought Danny WITH an injury. I'm tired of fighting you MF'ers injured!!!!" --- Keef to Shawn Porter

Comment

He wasn't doing it on purpose he had multiple injuries and surgery over the time that was the main reason he was out.

That justifies 7 fights in 9 years? I mean it’s hard tbh to give a pass for that level of inactivity. Also did the injuries cause the inactivity or the inactivity cause the injuries. If you have year layoffs then injuries are going to be more likely in training camp. Take someone like Canelo who is only 2 yrs younger than Thurman, more than twice as many fights and started when he was 16. Keith was simply greedy.

Frankly am tired of primadonnas when you have upcoming fighters willing to earn peanuts, working 2 jobs just to get a shot at the big names and these top guys are already financially set for life. Sooner they retire the better IMHO.

I wasn’t sold on Tszyu at first as its rare for sons to follow father footsteps, but he took huge risks in top caliber fighters when he could have waited for big Title fights. I think mentality will make all the difference in this fight and it’s not on Thurman side.
        dan-b dan-b likes this.

Comment

''Ain't even gonna make an excuse for getting KTFO, but I was inactive for so long. It is what it is.''
          Keef ''Sometime'' Thurman

Comment

Originally posted by hennanra1000 View Post

That justifies 7 fights in 9 years? I mean it’s hard tbh to give a pass for that level of inactivity. Also did the injuries cause the inactivity or the inactivity cause the injuries. If you have year layoffs then injuries are going to be more likely in training camp. Take someone like Canelo who is only 2 yrs younger than Thurman, more than twice as many fights and started when he was 16. Keith was simply greedy.

Frankly am tired of primadonnas when you have upcoming fighters willing to earn peanuts, working 2 jobs just to get a shot at the big names and these top guys are already financially set for life. Sooner they retire the better IMHO.

I wasn’t sold on Tszyu at first as its rare for sons to follow father footsteps, but he took huge risks in top caliber fighters when he could have waited for big Title fights. I think mentality will make all the difference in this fight and it’s not on Thurman side.
            What do you mean justify he is not doing this for you or me, this pic was one operation he had a few over a period of years another after the Pac fight, it was a number of reasons why he didn't compete, fights fell out other fights got made, I doubt he thought fck em Im just going to sit back for a decade and talk sht, it was way more complicated than that.

Comment

Yeah but what like 3-4 fights in 8 years? Spence fought Garcia after almost dying in a car accident and Ugas after a detached retina. Why hasnt Keith fought in 3 years now?

Comment

Just another inactive American "name" getting a disproportionate amount of attention.

Comment

Originally posted by bigtyivier2k2 View Post

Yeah but what like 3-4 fights in 8 years? Spence fought Garcia after almost dying in a car accident and Ugas after a detached retina. Why hasnt Keith fought in 3 years now?
                  Go into his timeline and you would be surprised how easily time just evaporates, a single operation can have you out for a year or more then miss a fight because they took someone else and all of a sudden its 2/3 yrs, add a fight and then another operation so on and so on, years fly by in the blink of an eye, you cannot compare anyone to Thurman they all have their own deals trials and tribulations going on, as I said earlier he is not in it for us he is in it for himself, and like all of us sometimes life just gets in the way and its gone before you know it.

Its actually quite good interview touching on a lot of things, only recent chat and he talks a lot about Tim and other things with weight etc .

Last edited by Roadblock; 02-16-2024, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Talk Radio View Post

Don't forget

Randall Bailey,
                    Ishe Smith,
                    Marquez (won a title),
                    Humberto Soto,
                    Sergio Martinez,
                    K-9 Bundrage (won a title at 41),
                    Tommy Hearns (could have beaten Grant for a title if his ankle didn't give),
                    Erislandy Lara reached 40 this year and he's looked better than ever as he gets older because of preservation,
                    Mayweather walked down and stopped a middleweight (McGregor) at 40

etc.

Plenty of guys see success in their 40's and even beyond. Certainly rare, but just gives a picture of what talent really means.
                    Its modern nutrition and scientific training which is adding longevity to all sports, going to see more and more athletes competing at their best for longer as they continue to fine tune everything.

Comment

Working...
                    X