Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hearn on Joshua-Wallin: You Don't Really Want to be Fighting a Southpaw; [Joshua] Has to be Aggressive

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Hearn on Joshua-Wallin: You Don't Really Want to be Fighting a Southpaw; [Joshua] Has to be Aggressive

Promoter Eddie Hearn admits Otto Wallin isn't exactly an ideal stylistic matchup for Anthony Joshua. At the same time, the Matchroom head feels his ace client should be able to dominate a fighter of Wallin's standing. London's Joshua, the former unified heavyweight titlist, is set to fight a third time this year when he takes on Sweden's Wallin in the feature bout of stacked fight card on Dec. 23 in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Wallin's only real claim to fame is cutting Fury and that happens to them all. There's no room for Joshua to look bad either , he's got the confidence of beating him before and should go out there and be aggressive and do the job. Then try and beat one of the elite guys and get some real respect.
    Sayithowitisuk Bob likes this.

Comment

AJ needs to be aggressive and look good here. I think he gets Wallin out in 5 or 6.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
        Promoter Eddie Hearn admits Otto Wallin isn't exactly an ideal stylistic matchup for Anthony Joshua. At the same time, the Matchroom head feels his ace client should be able to dominate a fighter of Wallin's standing. London's Joshua, the former unified heavyweight titlist, is set to fight a third time this year when he takes on Sweden's Wallin in the feature bout of stacked fight card on Dec. 23 in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
        [Click Here To Read More]

Wallin is a top 10 heavyweight in his prime. He is not that good, but he isn't that and that bad either. He is a big semi-skilled, southpaw with an effective type of jab who is 1 ) in shape and 2 ) not that old. Wallin in that respect is better than anyone Joshua has beaten , with the possible exception of Parker whose testes shrink during the fight as he opted for safety and did not engage giving away the match. Joshua who might have questionable mental ability right now. If he wins I hope he will fight Hrgovic next! But if he loses he was only a an above average alphabet champion.​

He British so he will draw and produce a big gate. Boxing will be better off if he wins form a financial perpestive.
        Last edited by Dr. Z; 12-12-2023, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Wallin has hardly any power. He mostly throws his pitty pat jabs and backs away all night long. Very one dimensional. Even when Fury was giving him free shots he just patted away without any real intention of doing damage. He doesn't know how to move up from 2nd gear.

If Joshua loses this it's down to his lack of determination, nothing else. Likely this will be a rather boring jab fest like it was Joshua vs Helenius. The styles just don't match well.

Joshua has all 3 fights of the year against low volume counter punchers, Franklin and Helenius neither tried to do very much. Neither wanted to win really. Wallin usually is exactly the same way. He boxes behind his jab and is comfortable to leave it up to the judges. His best win Breazeale was tailor made for Wallin and he still caused no damage all night. Second best win already quite a few steps away from Joshua. Kauffman and Granat might be the next best wins. Recently he beat what used to be a champion at cruiser but he looked completely useless in that fight so I don't rate Gassiev at heavyweight much above the classic journeyman level like Scott Gammer and Michael Sprott.

This fight will show whether Wallin just got a lucky cut against Fury or not. He might be better than he seems against mid-tier opposition but it seems more likely his claim to fame was a fluke. I don't think there will be a KO as Wallin goes safety first and has a fairly good defense.
          Dr. Z Dr. Z likes this.

Comment

Wallin did more vs Fury than just legitimately cutting him.

Wallin busted up Fury real good, and pushed him in a close fight over 12 rounds.

And this was a 250 + pound Tyson Fury.

Note: For many years hardcore Fury fans, have called for Joshua to fight Wallin 'Some have even claimed that Joshua was avoiding Wallin, in fact they have been spinning the narrative that many Heavyweights have all been avoiding Wallin for years'.

Wallin is a better more experienced, and proven fighter now 'Than he was when he busted up Tyson Fury real good'.

If Joshua can beat Wallin over 12 rounds, and win 90-95% of the rounds 'That is a solid performance'.

If Joshua can force a stoppage or become the first fighter to knock-out Wallin 'Then that would be a great performance'.

Fury never hurt Wallin, never decked Wallin 'And he was busted up real good, pushed in a close fight' That is a nice benchmark comparison, for team Joshua to keep in mind 'It is in part what makes this fight interesting'.

The match up really has not got much of a theme, accept? Wallin pushed and busted up Tyson Fury real good 'Can Anthony Joshua beat Wallin more impressively?' etc.

Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 12-12-2023, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Wallin getting a little bit lippy.

May the best man win. AJ wins ain't nothing changed, all good, might see Wilder cave the horse face in. If Wallin loses then we've got a guy with some balls to replace him. Let's be honest, Joshua's lack of balls is why Joshua has haters. **** all to do with but him lost to a fat kid doe and everything to do with him looking like a dejected little girl when Ruiz and the Usyk beat that ass.

Ain't no one like it when Wilder or Joshua cry so them losing to a man who doesn't cry wouldn't be too terrible.

Comment

Looking forward to this one. Wallin won't ever wow the fans or look aesthetically pleasing to the eye. It's not his style. I think the Swede's apparent lack of power has as much to do with his temperament as his actual pop. He caught and staggered Gassiev and I imagine he can throw with some spite when needed or pushed.

If AJ is at his best, he beats Wallin however I think there are enough variables to make this a compelling matchup. Otto is a big, skilled, awkward and apparently durable southpaw. I expect him to challenge AJ in this one.
                Dr. Z Dr. Z likes this.

Comment

Joshua had 24 rounds of boxing with the best southpaw out there in Usyk. Meanwhile Wallin has probably beaten one top-10 guy his whole career and is now fighting a proven top-3 fighter he has lost to twice in the amateurs.

I go with Joshua. But every fight is hard. Wallin is just about in the top-10. It's not going to be an easy win for AJ

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
                    Wallin did more vs Fury than just legitimately cutting him.

Wallin busted up Fury real good, and pushed him in a close fight over 12 rounds.

And this was a 250 + pound Tyson Fury.

Note: For many years hardcore Fury fans, have called for Joshua to fight Wallin 'Some have even claimed that Joshua was avoiding Wallin, in fact they have been spinning the narrative that many Heavyweights have all been avoiding Wallin for years'.

Wallin is a better more experienced, and proven fighter now 'Than he was when he busted up Tyson Fury real good'.

If Joshua can beat Wallin over 12 rounds, and win 90-95% of the rounds 'That is a solid performance'.

If Joshua can force a stoppage or become the first fighter to knock-out Wallin 'Then that would be a great performance'.

Fury never hurt Wallin, never decked Wallin 'And he was busted up real good, pushed in a close fight' That is a nice benchmark comparison, for team Joshua to keep in mind 'It is in part what makes this fight interesting'.

The match up really has not got much of a theme, accept? Wallin pushed and busted up Tyson Fury real good 'Can Anthony Joshua beat Wallin more impressively?' etc.

I think that is something that is easily forgotten. That cut was caused by a clean, landed punch and Otto was landing a good amount of those early in that fight. To Fury's credit, he switched tactics and made it a trench fight with Otto. The big Swede was gassed by the physical nature of the grueling affair but he landed alot in a losing effort.

I think Otto has proven to be durable and tricky. If AJ dominates him (or stops him), I think it will be incredibly impressive.

Comment

Working...
                    X