Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: With a Predictable Mission Accomplished, Devin Haney Climbs to the Superstar Precipice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roadblock View Post

I thought it was obvious, Prograis was made to order and overrated, I would not have been surprised at all had Devin got a stoppage, I knew Regis would walk onto whatever power Devin had, and that it would go up by going to 140, he was cutting too much at 135 his power had to go up somewhat.
    If you called it beforehand then props to you. But there weren’t that many people predicting that he was going to hurt and drop Regis like he did.
    The Big Dunn The Big Dunn likes this.

Comment

Devin drew a packed house. He got a clear victory with a KO. He moved up and took on the best available JWW.

He signed with TR to make sure he got title fights at a time when many pros are fine with staying on ‘their side’.

He took a shitty deal, agreeing to a rematch on the road, even if he won, just to get a title shot.

He honored that contract- many pros have found ways to wiggle out of rematches like this.

Then he chose to make his defense against the LW considered by most diehard and casual fans as the best LW other than himself when others continue to avoid the best opponents.

Devin has moved his career EXACTLY how the majority of posters on this site post they want all boxers to do, yet gets criticized heavily on this site.

Can someone please rationally explain why?
      Last edited by The Big Dunn; 12-13-2023, 08:26 AM.
      ShoulderRoll ShoulderRoll likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        Devin drew a packed house. He got a clear victory with a KO. He moved up and took on the best available JWW.

He signed with TR to make sure he got title fights at a time when many pros are fine with staying on ‘their side’.

He took a shitty deal, agreeing to a rematch on the road, even if he won, just to get a title shot.

He honored that contract- many pros have found ways to wiggle out of rematches like this.

Then he chose to make his defense against the LW considered by most diehard and casual fans as the best LW other than himself when others continue to avoid the best opponents.

Devin has moved his career EXACTLY how the majority of posters on this site post the want all boxers to do, yet gets criticized heavily on this site.

A lot of posters are still butthurt that he beat Lomachenko in what was a close fight (no robbery.)
        The Big Dunn The Big Dunn likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadblock View Post

I thought it was obvious, Prograis was made to order and overrated, I would not have been surprised at all had Devin got a stoppage, I knew Regis would walk onto whatever power Devin had, and that it would go up by going to 140, he was cutting too much at 135 his power had to go up somewhat.
          That is because you are looking at things rationally based on the skill level of each boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

A lot of posters are still butthurt that he beat Lomachenko in what was a close fight (no robbery.)
            I think that is a big part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post

Devin has moved his career EXACTLY how the majority of posters on this site post they want all boxers to do, yet gets criticized heavily on this site.

A packed house doesn't translate to PPV fights. Obviously.

Haney gets criticized because he is defensive minded. No fighter who fights defense first is ever going to be a huge star. Floyd stopped some really good fighters, but his "never get hit" style made for a boring watch many times and he was disliked by many because of it. He created the Money personality and played the bad guy in a brilliant move, causing millions to tune in hoping he would get knocked out.

Pure boxer punchers are rare. Bud is a boxer puncher. RJJ was a great example of a guy unafraid to mix it up and get ko's for the fans, while good enough to avoid damage for most of his career.

There is a small contingency of fans who enjoy purely technical boxing. Most people would rather watch mid level brawlers beat each other half to death in a courageous battle. I myself do enjoy technical boxing, but any fight that has no power involved is just a bore 99% of the time.

Haney may well get some KO's moving up and that would be awesome. But up til now he has been a boring technical guy who clinches to win. He didn't do much of that Saturday, and watching the fight, it is apparent that Prograis is way past it.

As far as losing to Loma, all the "stop whining about it" people seem to not care that Loma is closing in on retirement and he was robbed. Ain't a white or black thing either, no matter how certain posters whine about race. Haney lost. That kind of stuff, much like Canelo getting two fake W's on GGG, it changes the career trajectory. It is ridiculous. May not matter to the bias fan, but in the scope of the sport, it has become the death knell.

We'll see what Haney does against a skilled prime guy with power. He is now being massively overhyped in an effort to make him the next star. He will never be a star with any casual until he gets some knockouts and becomes more offensive. And the casuals drive the money. No matter how many "real fans" complain.
              Last edited by Theshotyoudontsee; 12-13-2023, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Theshotyoudontsee View Post

A packed house doesn't translate to PPV fights. Obviously.

Haney gets criticized because he is defensive minded. No fighter who fights defense first is ever going to be a huge star. Floyd stopped some really good fighters, but his "never get hit" style made for a boring watch many times and he was disliked by many because of it. He created the Money personality and played the bad guy in a brilliant move, causing millions to tune in hoping he would get knocked out.

Pure boxer punchers are rare. Bud is a boxer puncher. RJJ was a great example of a guy unafraid to mix it up and get ko's for the fans, while good enough to avoid damage for most of his career.

There is a small contingency of fans who enjoy purely technical boxing. Most people would rather watch mid level brawlers beat each other half to death in a courageous battle. I myself do enjoy technical boxing, but any fight that has no power involved is just a bore 99% of the time.

Haney may well get some KO's moving up and that would be awesome. But up til now he has been a boring technical guy who clinches to win. He didn't do much of that Saturday, and watching the fight, it is apparent that Prograis is way past it.

As far as losing to Loma, all the "stop whining about it" people seem to not care that Loma is closing in on retirement and he was robbed. Ain't a white or black thing either, no matter how certain posters whine about race. Haney lost. That kind of stuff, much like Canelo getting two fake W's on GGG, it changes the career trajectory. It is ridiculous. May not matter to the bias fan, but in the scope of the sport, it has become the death knell.

Will see what Haney does against a skilled prime guy with power. He is now being massively overhyped in an effort to make him the next star. He will never be a star with any casual until he gets some knockouts and becomes more offensive. And the casuals drive the money. No matter how many "real fans" complain.
                Fair point. But at least he sold a ton of seats.

Have no issue with those criticisms even though i think its a bit silly. The object is to win. You usually win by fighting to your strengths.

Like asking Shaq to play PG to win. Lol.

I’m talking about the other things we’ve been reading. Like the idiots that that claim he ducked a Loma rematch then say he is a weight bully at 140.

We disagree about robbed. He lost a close fight. It happens. To frame this fight as you would say Sweet Pea v Ramirez 1 or Manny v Bradley 1 imo is ridiculous.

I tend to think race plays somewhat of a role. Just my opinion.

I agree about Canelo v GGG 1 draw. Not about the 2nd fight.

Agree he isn’t a star yet. Don’t think he is being overhyped outside of his dad. As I posted, he has done what we all say we want. That should be rewarded.

I think if he continues to get hated irrationally, he may become a casual star. Imo this is what in part is fueling Tank’s most loyal fans- all the hate he gets online. While much is deserved, alot is over the top hate by association because he is with Floyd and Haymon.
                Last edited by The Big Dunn; 12-13-2023, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by messi807 View Post

4-6 million a fight at 24 years of age.. sounds like a superstar in the making.
                  money don't make the superstar. ppl knowing who you are make a superstar. Mike Tyson is a superstar. these other ppl are just boxers getting over paid and under watched. I always have said Haney the cream of the crop of this new generation. however SUPERSTAR. is something I don't think you understand the term

Comment

Working...
                  X