No announcement yet.

If Hopkins / Calzaghe rematched ...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by street bully View Post
    Come on man, Calzaghe is a great fighter, but I do not like when people blow it out of proportion. Other than a faded Hopkins he really has not faced anyone that could beat him.
    Who could have beaten Calzaghe back then?

Prime Roy or Hopkins, but that's about it. Dawson probably the pick of the crop out there right now that maybe gives Calzaghe problems but i don't see him keeping up with Calzaghe's workrate either.

Hopkins didn't have the stamina in the first fight to see it through. A rematch would be the same if not wider UD for Calzaghe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chunk View Post
      Who could have beaten Calzaghe back then?

Prime Roy or Hopkins, but that's about it. Dawson probably the pick of the crop out there right now that maybe gives Calzaghe problems but i don't see him keeping up with Calzaghe's workrate either.

Hopkins didn't have the stamina in the first fight to see it through. A rematch would be the same if not wider UD for Calzaghe.
      Dawson's got a pretty good workrate himself. Plus, he does things to offset yours.

There are several fighters I would've loved to have seen Calzaghe fight from 2000-present. Would have been nice to see how he fared, win or lose.

LOL @ only a 200 +lb man being the only person that could've beaten him. I love these boards.

Comment

• Originally posted by street bully View Post
        No, it makes Hopkins look better since it was him who beat Pavlik. Thats like saying Barerra looked better after Morales beat Pacquiao.
        That was a joke to purposely wind up the diehard Hopkins stans btw! Truth is,both were great fighters,and its all in the realm of fantasy to say things like,'prime hopkins beats prime calzaghe'. As you said in one of your posts,its a horrible style matchup,and I believe that would have been the case at any stage in there career.

Those guys fighting reminds me of trying to make two magnets stick together.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roger Mellie View Post
          That was a joke to purposely wind up the diehard Hopkins stans btw! Truth is,both were great fighters,and its all in the realm of fantasy to say things like,'prime hopkins beats prime calzaghe'. As you said in one of your posts,its a horrible style matchup,and I believe that would have been the case at any stage in there career.

Those guys fighting reminds me of trying to make two magnets stick together.
          I don't know. Both of those guys in 2000 would've been a GREAT styles matchup. GREAT.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
            Dawson's got a pretty good workrate himself. Plus, he does things to offset yours.

There are several fighters I would've loved to have seen Calzaghe fight from 2000-present. Would have been nice to see how he fared, win or lose.

LOL @ only a 200 +lb man being the only person that could've beaten him. I love these boards.
            Its a shame it never happened as it would have been a brilliant fight IMO.

Comment

I don't know. Both of those guys in 2000 would've been a GREAT styles matchup. GREAT.
              Maybe.
              One irony about them fighting in 2000 is that Joe could really crack back then,and Hopkins workrate was much higher!

Comment

• Originally posted by Roger Mellie View Post
                One irony about them fighting in 2000 is that Joe could really crack back then,and Hopkins workrate was much higher!
                Yeah, it would've been FANTASTIC.

Comment

Yeah, it would've been FANTASTIC.
                  Its a role reversal of their recent fight......so it may have looked just the same! lol

Comment

Dawson is hardly as much as a style nitemare match up as Hopkins. Dawson was rightly ranked and placed below both, because having not beaten Johnson or Tarver in as dominating ways as Hopkins, he's favoured to lose to them both.

Why are you misquoting Sam on his 200lbs comment, he's clearly said he didn't say beat, but that no one below 200 lbs KO's Calzaghe. Not quite the ridiculous quote you try to mis quote it as.

Who at 160-175 would in your opinion even, KO Calzaghe?

Comment

• I don't want to be biased so i'm gonna go with Calzaghe. I think the first fight was close but it would have been more of an uproar if the fight was given to Hopkins than given to Calzaghe.

Calzaghe decisions Hopkins again on workrate but no real shots land.

Comment

Working...
                      X