No announcement yet.

Spence vs Crawford did over a $21 million dollar gate!! HUGEEE

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leicesterage View Post

That IS the truth - and that's the problem.

This fight was HEAVILY marketed - and it still didn't make a dent. That's sad.
    Promoters can only do so much marketing. Fighters are the main ones that have to sell the fight, and neither Spence or Crawford have that personality to do that. Their trash talking was weak. It is what it is
    Leicesterage Combat Talk Radio likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingfan91 View Post

Promoters can only do so much marketing. Fighters are the main ones that have to sell the fight, and neither Spence or Crawford have that personality to do that. Their trash talking was weak. It is what it is
      Its not the same money climate now it doesn't compare with years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadblock View Post

That was pre-covid and pre-economic shutdown, we are in a different dollar climate right now it did great considering how bad things are.
        Cryan didn't even have a belt and he sold basically this number against Tank.

So two guys just having a beef and getting in the ring sold more than a fight that made boxing history.

Jake Paul and Tommy Fury were believed to have pulled over $40 million. So a YouTuber and a prospect drew damn near twice what Welterweight champions could.

No, pre-COVID/economy/etc. those are excuses.

The truth is, as boxingfan91 appropriately said, apparently neither of these guys can "sell out a family reunion".
        Last edited by Combat Talk Radio; 08-01-2023, 08:51 PM.

Comment

So two guys just having a beef and getting in the ring sold more than a fight that made boxing history.

Jake Paul and Tommy Fury were believed to have pulled over $40 million. So a YouTuber and a prospect drew damn near twice what Welterweight champions could.

The truth is, as boxingfan91 appropriately said, apparently neither of these guys can "sell out a family reunion".
          They are not excuses they are the reasons more people are financially strapped today, its not just boxing its touching everything, if they cant sell anything compare the result to fights since Covid began, why are you trying to bash them via a world economic crisis, the fight did great numbers and could be the highest grossing fight of the year, its great for boxing.

Comment

The bar is low around here.

Do people forget that Floyd pulled $36 million against Berto?

A fight nobody wanted to see?

And now we're celebrating a $21 million gate? For a history-making fight?

What is your source for this? That sounds like an astronomical number for a gate value. So I tried to confirm this out of curiosity and couldn't find a source. The total purse split for that fight was $36 million with $32 mil going to Mayweather. Not sure if you're conflating purse total with live gate value but please confirm your source for this if not.

Btw a gate of $21 mil for the Crawford Spence fight is also astronomical. Only source i found mentioning it actually put it at a max of $8 million. I'm also curious of which source is reporting $21 million.​

https://sportsmanor.com/boxing-news-...gures-revealed

Comment

Again where is your source for this? If by "pulled over $40 million" you mean in ticket sales, that seems next to impossible. I'm not even convinced it pulled anywhere near that much in PPV buys, let alone the live gate. But again, I'm curious what your source is.

Per the sources I've read, it did around​ 775,000 at $50 in the US. I get about $40 mil if I round up to 800,000 and use the US buying price But I didn't find any source confirming numbers in the US vs other countries, where the price was much lower. Again I don't know if you're conflating PPV sales with ticket sales but I'm curious what source you're using.

Comment

Was the 36 million Floyd’s guarantee or the gate? Because I doubt that fight did 36 million at the gate. The mgm grand holds less than T-Mobile and if you look at the fight the may/berto fight looked bare bones for a mayweather fight.

the thread starter has yet to name his source so the jury is out on the 21million but I wouldn’t doubt it.

plus the times that we are living in people have to be very tight with their money.Car repos and foreclosures are through the roof right now.
                Last edited by The tucker; 08-01-2023, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate keeper View Post

What is your source for this? That sounds like an astronomical number for a gate value. So I tried to confirm this out of curiosity and couldn't find a source. The total purse split for that fight was $36 million with $32 mil going to Mayweather. Not sure if you're conflating purse total with live gate value but please confirm your source for this if not.

Btw a gate of $21 mil for the Crawford Spence fight is also astronomical. Only source i found mentioning it actually put it at a max of $8 million. I'm also curious of which source is reporting $21 million.​

https://sportsmanor.com/boxing-news-...gures-revealed
                  For Floyd, I'm simply talking about money, regardless of source. $36 million for a fight nobody asked for. That's telling as much to how today's boxers simply don't draw casual money

Comment

thats good for the sport. Lets see how the PPV buys did

Comment

Originally posted by Sheikh View Post
                      thats good for the sport. Lets see how the PPV buys did
                      Was that more than UFC 291

Comment

Working...
                      X