No announcement yet.

Paz-Jones, 1995; A Different View…

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paz-Jones, 1995; A Different View…

FLASHBACK, January 1992, Pensacola, Florida, Roy Jones Sr. ("Big Roy") gym on Strong St.

Roy Jones ("Lil' Roy") asked me, "How's Paz doing?" (Vinny Pazienza had just had a horrific car accident just a few months earlier which resulted in Vinny breaking his neck)

I told him that he seemed good, was doing all the rehab stuff etc. I mentioned that Vin was planning to fight again and Roy said to me how he "could never fight Paz" because he would be afraid that he would paralyze him if he caught him wrong with a good shot.

Fast forward three and a half years to the point where Vinny had almost miraculously come back so strongly that he had won numerous fights, including victories over Lloyd Honeyghan and Roberto Duran which had brought him to a fight in Atlantic City over the summer of 1995 in Atlantic City with ROY.

The fight was intense, matador and the bull, until the very end when Roy suddenly lands four or five VICIOUS shots that snap Vinny's neck violently and end the fight.

At this point people rush into the ring, the usual excitement ensues, when Roy almost aimlessly makes his way over to the ropes and puts his head down on the top strand. People may have thought he was just resting and decompressing but if you watch closely you will see that he is actually crying and when I saw that (I was there live in Atlantic City) I remembered our conversation from early 1992 and realized he was super emotional because he thought he had actually - as he feared- seriously hurt Vinny at that point if not had caused him to become paralyzed.

Two things I always took away from that fight and that moment. One is that RJ was razor sharp that night, it was a scintillating performance, but literally 20 seconds after it was over and he had begun to process what might be happening there his whole focus shifted and the idea of being exhilerated in the face of such a fantastic showing and scintillating ending was completely overshadowed by his immediate concern for Vinny's health and, really, his life.

#2 is that fighters often say before a fight that they would rather die before they lose or quit. The reality is that deep down they really don't mean it, they don't ever WANT TO DIE and wouldn't choose it.

Its a crazy thing with Paz, though. I mean, I don't think he WANTED to die but I do think if there were ever fighters who would actually go through with it if it came down to it, Vinny would be one of them.

Many may not have noticed it and they did they maybe didnt realize the power of it but for me, watching Vin struggle and fight with the referee as he was on top of him, stopping that fight, was REALLY something to see.

That final combination -and especially the last shot he got hit with- were sizzling and ultra-brutal but there he was, absolutely struggling with the ref to keep the fight from being stopped.

If the ref let him up to continue, ABSOLUTELY he jumps back into the tornado waiting for him with guns blazing, 100000 pct. NO doubts whatsoever.

You have -and will see- many good -even great- fighters submit under a million times less brutal circumstances. Not judging ANYONE, just saying, THERE ARE LEVELS TO THE HEART AND DESIRE to willingly endure brutality, especially when you know it is extremely unlikely that any of it will end in your favor at all.​
    Last edited by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY; 07-18-2023, 05:38 PM.

Vinnie's story is amazing the man had no quit in him at all, to come back the way he did is testimony to his determination in life.
    real raw real raw likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadblock View Post
      Vinnie's story is amazing the man had no quit in him at all, to come back the way he did is testimony to his determination in life.
      yup, NO quit in VP

Comment

That finishing combo was insane.
        ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY likes this.

Comment

Great story, IceMan. You need to post more of these on here.

Comment

Originally posted by DJS View Post
            That finishing combo was insane.
            yeah, one of the best I’ve ever seen
            DJS Richard Hamilton likes this.

Comment

Well said John…

Paz had absolutely no quit in him, a true warrior. He should be in the IBHOF IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post

yeah, one of the best I’ve ever seen
                Was watching some highlights from Vinny Pazienza last week, its incredible his story and how he literally laughed at what he told his doctor that he will fight again.

Great story Iceman, keep those great stories coming

Comment

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
                  FLASHBACK, January 1992, Pensacola, Florida, Roy Jones Sr. ("Big Roy") gym on Strong St.

Roy Jones ("Lil' Roy") asked me, "How's Paz doing?" (Vinny Pazienza had just had a horrific car accident just a few months earlier which resulted in Vinny breaking his neck)

I told him that he seemed good, was doing all the rehab stuff etc. I mentioned that Vin was planning to fight again and Roy said to me how he "could never fight Paz" because he would be afraid that he would paralyze him if he caught him wrong with a good shot.

Fast forward three and a half years to the point where Vinny had almost miraculously come back so strongly that he had won numerous fights, including victories over Lloyd Honeyghan and Roberto Duran which had brought him to a fight in Atlantic City over the summer of 1995 in Atlantic City with ROY.

The fight was intense, matador and the bull, until the very end when Roy suddenly lands four or five VICIOUS shots that snap Vinny's neck violently and end the fight.

At this point people rush into the ring, the usual excitement ensues, when Roy almost aimlessly makes his way over to the ropes and puts his head down on the top strand. People may have thought he was just resting and decompressing but if you watch closely you will see that he is actually crying and when I saw that (I was there live in Atlantic City) I remembered our conversation from early 1992 and realized he was super emotional because he thought he had actually - as he feared- seriously hurt Vinny at that point if not had caused him to become paralyzed.

Two things I always took away from that fight and that moment. One is that RJ was razor sharp that night, it was a scintillating performance, but literally 20 seconds after it was over and he had begun to process what might be happening there his whole focus shifted and the idea of being exhilerated in the face of such a fantastic showing and scintillating ending was completely overshadowed by his immediate concern for Vinny's health and, really, his life.

#2 is that fighters often say before a fight that they would rather die before they lose or quit. The reality is that deep down they really don't mean it, they don't ever WANT TO DIE and wouldn't choose it.

Its a crazy thing with Paz, though. I mean, I don't think he WANTED to die but I do think if there were ever fighters who would actually go through with it if it came down to it, Vinny would be one of them.

Many may not have noticed it and they did they maybe didnt realize the power of it but for me, watching Vin struggle and fight with the referee as he was on top of him, stopping that fight, was REALLY something to see.

That final combination -and especially the last shot he got hit with- were sizzling and ultra-brutal but there he was, absolutely struggling with the ref to keep the fight from being stopped.

If the ref let him up to continue, ABSOLUTELY he jumps back into the tornado waiting for him with guns blazing, 100000 pct. NO doubts whatsoever.

You have -and will see- many good -even great- fighters submit under a million times less brutal circumstances. Not judging ANYONE, just saying, THERE ARE LEVELS TO THE HEART AND DESIRE to willingly endure brutality, especially when you know it is extremely unlikely that any of it will end in your favor at all.​
                  - - Glad to see Roy's humanity on duty at his peak as a fighter.

Remember that story you told about you and Roy playing pool with some good ol'boys in some Florida dive when one of snapped and broke his cue on the table ready to rip you two up?

Roy instead of being macho ****** just put down his cue and walked out with you following. Smart move that left you two ready to sign your next contracts.

Did I get that right?

Comment

Wow, it's crazy how we tend to just think of Roy in athletic terms, but dude is actually pretty brilliant & thoughtful when it comes to boxing.

I've seen vid of him talking to Andre Ward & Big Baby Anderson and he's a good mentor as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X