They might be Giants as Pavlik-Williams is blue plate special

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They might be Giants as Pavlik-Williams is blue plate special

Boxing ExaminerMichael Marley

It’s my belief, and I am sticking to it, that public demand and the overwhelming greed of the astute co-promoters will make the Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao bout a reality next year.

That mega bout would pit boxing’s most popular and charismatic world champion against the sport’s most notorious and technically skilled boxer.

It doesn’t take an Everlast Einstein to figure that out.

The Dec. 5 Atlantic City bout between middleweight champion Kelly “Ghost” Pavlik and Tall Paul Williams is an entirely different kettle of balut.

Theirs is a Blue Plate Special, a fight for the workingman between two guys who essentially had nowhere else to turn.

Above him, Pavlik is removed from the 168-pound tournament which is on HBO cable rival Showtime.

Pavlik needs an opponent who brings something to the table.

Enter the elongated Williams, who just may be the best welterweight, the best 154-pounder and the best middleweight in the world.

If not, it’s fair to claim, given his freakish size and immense skills, he is likely the hardest guy to beat at 147, 154 and 160 pounds.

This is a solid fight which puts some glitter on the winner and may even add prestige to the loser.

Having both run out of suspects, they embrace and then battle each other.

This kind of sensible match harkens back to the old Gillette Calvalcade of Sports Friday Night Fights on TV.

Which kiddies, believe it or not, came in only two varieties, white and black or black and white.

You had your choice.

My early choice here, in a gritty fight, is Tall Paul.

Micheal Marley sucks....

Comment

Working...
    X