Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Wilder's Trainer: Joshua is a Bit Gun-Shy, Ever Since Ruiz Loss He's Been Overthinking

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Wilder's Trainer: Joshua is a Bit Gun-Shy, Ever Since Ruiz Loss He's Been Overthinking

Malik Scott, the head trainer of former WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder, believes Anthony Joshua has become 'gun-shy' since suffering a knockout loss at the hands of Andy Ruiz back in 2019.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Gun shy isnt neccesarily bad if it helps your defence. At least Josh hasnt visited the canvas 5 times like he had before being gunshy. So isnt that a good thing heading inn the right direction?

Comment

Tell us something we dont know captain obvious

Comment

Alec Baldwin incoming as Joshua's new trainer. Nash out

Comment

You can start seeing signs of his waning confidence/ring generalship/style change in the Povetkin fight.

He succumbed to the robot taunts. Instead of embracing his natural ability and imposing his will without retreating, he became a fluid boxer-puncher that constantly gives up ground.

Reminded me of Cotto’s change of style around the Alfonso Gomez fight and Canelo’s pre-Golovkin 1 seesawing styles. You can pull off secondary styles against most contenders (if you’re an elite fighter), but that **** will get exposed at the elite level.

What happened to Joshua is as if Giannis stopped attacking the basket in favor of shooting from the perimeter, he’d still be good, but would not be the perennial MVP candidate he is now. Joshua showed the style that made him successful in Usyk 2, he needs to get back to that with certain tweaks and he’ll be a force to be reckoned with.

Comment

So Wilder isnt gun shy after being koed by Tyson? Even against Helenius he looked wary. I guess Wilder can hide the fact hes gun shy by not fighting anyone at all. Just waiting for a Usyk fight?
            I can assume Wilder is gun shy by not fighting the man who Koed Josh.

Comment

I'm sure Scott is an astute trainer, and he's right about AJ.

I do criticise though, that he didn't advise against Wilder getting so bulked up for the the third Fury fight. Granted, he still managed to knock down Fury twice, even as slow as he was.

I think he could've done better though. Then again, after being outclassed for most of the 30 rounds they fought, Fury just has his number.

A Joshua-Wilder fight is still one that many wouldnt mind seeing.

Comment

Wadabout Wilder? He wasn't terrorized by old, Wlad; fat, Andy; or smaller men. He has been KOing bigger men all along. Show me where he's gun shy. That 24 foot ring should tell you about gun shy.
                Last edited by Corelone; 04-06-2023, 01:25 PM.

Comment

That being said I still think it’s a toss up between wilder and Joshua, really a matter of who lands first. After the fury fights it’s clear to me that wilder is a small 1990’s era heavyweight and the size and strength of Joshua will be a problem if wilder lets it and since he isn’t the most intelligent ring general, it just very well may

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
                    So Wilder isnt gun shy after being koed by Tyson? Even against Helenius he looked wary. I guess Wilder can hide the fact hes gun shy by not fighting anyone at all. Just waiting for a Usyk fight?
                    I can assume Wilder is gun shy by not fighting the man who Koed Josh.
                    I would think a 1st round ko of a legitimate contender who was on quite the streak would snipe any concept of his being “gun shy”
                    club fighter club fighter likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X