Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Photos: Jake Paul, Tommy Fury - Heated Face To Face in Saudi Arabia

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Casualfanboy View Post

Well, hypothetically, if you know, Jake and you happened to be doing your thing in a dark alley, and Tommy accidentally interrupted you two, would you call him garbage then?
    Bottom line : he's arguably worse than Tania Alvarez.

Comment

I've been watching boxing for nearly 40 years. It's hands down my favorite sport. And I know it well.

I gotta say, the hate I see being directed at Jake Paul is astonishing. And it's clouding people's judgment.
      Not every fighter will be a world champion. And I doubt Jake will be one either.
      But it's quite evident that the kid is an actual athlete. He appears to work very hard at this sport.
      And he's got the cash to afford time to train, with good trainers and good sparring partners.

He's making boatloads of money, far out of proportion with his current boxing achievements, because of his popularity in other endeavors.
      I get it. I don't like it either. But it's the *system.

As for his fight with Tommy Fury....boy, I don't know. Tommy looks every bit as manufactured as Jake. They both have approximately the same professional experience, with Jake arguably having *more. So, on the one hand, this is Jake's first contest with a real pro boxer. But it's also clearly Fury's toughest test, too.

So, what we've got is what appears to be a fairly even matchup, with an incredible amount of hype behind it. I don't know about you folks, but I'm glad for it. There are so many mismatches in boxing that the prospect of watching a fight where you genuinely don't know who the winner will be going in alone makes this worth watching. Given the excitement generated, I think it's a must watch for boxing fans.

I'll admit, there is a part of me that wonders if Jake's serious, or if this is all a bit of a put on. But if it's a put on, has it really been building only to this? A fight with Tommy Fury? Really? I gotta think that if this is a con, then he's got his sights set on a bigger event to go out on than this. Which is why even if he's not all that serious about boxing, I have to figure that he genuinely thinks he can win this one. He wouldn't have made this fight if he didn't think he could win. There's just no way. Whatever you think of Jake Paul's boxing ability, he's proven that he makes pretty good decisions when it comes to marketing himself. And there's just no way that this is his planned swan song. If Jake Paul gets beat Sunday, it won't be because he lays down and cashes out. It'll be because he ran into someone better.

I don't think there's a large enough sample size to accurately predict the winner here. But if I had to pick, I'd say Jake is gonna take it.
      I, for one, hope he does. I'd like to discover that he's been serious all along, and that he's got a talent that no one expected. It would make a hell of a story. Like it or not, stories sell fights and careers. And boy could boxing use a good story right about now.
      Fact Fact likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Skillman View Post
        I've been watching boxing for nearly 40 years. It's hands down my favorite sport. And I know it well.

I gotta say, the hate I see being directed at Jake Paul is astonishing. And it's clouding people's judgment.
        Not every fighter will be a world champion. And I doubt Jake will be one either.
        But it's quite evident that the kid is an actual athlete. He appears to work very hard at this sport.
        And he's got the cash to afford time to train, with good trainers and good sparring partners.

He's making boatloads of money, far out of proportion with his current boxing achievements, because of his popularity in other endeavors.

As for his fight with Tommy Fury....boy, I don't know. Tommy looks every bit as manufactured as Jake. They both have approximately the same professional experience, with Jake arguably having *more. So, on the one hand, this is Jake's first contest with a real pro boxer. But it's also clearly Fury's toughest test, too.

So, what we've got is what appears to be a fairly even matchup, with an incredible amount of hype behind it. I don't know about you folks, but I'm glad for it. There are so many mismatches in boxing that the prospect of watching a fight where you genuinely don't know who the winner will be going in alone makes this worth watching. Given the excitement generated, I think it's a must watch for boxing fans.

I'll admit, there is a part of me that wonders if Jake's serious, or if this is all a bit of a put on. But if it's a put on, has it really been building only to this? A fight with Tommy Fury? Really? I gotta think that if this is a con, then he's got his sights set on a bigger event to go out on than this. Which is why even if he's not all that serious about boxing, I have to figure that he genuinely thinks he can win this one. He wouldn't have made this fight if he didn't think he could win. There's just no way. Whatever you think of Jake Paul's boxing ability, he's proven that he makes pretty good decisions when it comes to marketing himself. And there's just no way that this is his planned swan song. If Jake Paul gets beat Sunday, it won't be because he lays down and cashes out. It'll be because he ran into someone better.

I don't think there's a large enough sample size to accurately predict the winner here. But if I had to pick, I'd say Jake is gonna take it.
        I, for one, hope he does. I'd like to discover that he's been serious all along, and that he's got a talent that no one expected. It would make a hell of a story. Like it or not, stories sell fights and careers. And boy could boxing use a good story right about now.
        You makes some reasonable points, but alongside the "you really don't know who the winner will be", there's also a healthy dollop of neither really having a proper boxing career to speak of so far, so it's hard to care very much.

Rather than a question of who has the better resume, it's more a question of who has the less bad resume. Tommy's fought no one good, but at least they were boxers. Jake Paul has not only avoided boxers thus far, but his opponents were also ancient. Anderson Silva is 47... Tommy has also never fought a basketball pro in the ring.

Comment

Neither of these clowns are serious. Tommy only fought 8 times in 4 years, he only fights inbetween reality TV shows. Real pro fighters fight 8 times their first year if they are serious about it.

Jake too every fight was a big money fight, he is not serious about it or about taking any risks, its all a big game. Every single guy he fought was smaller than him. Even the retired wrestlers, even the NBA player which he managed to fight the smallest NBA player of recent years. He finally fought a striker who was almost 50 years old and he got outworked by him the first half of the fight.

Jakes team knows what they are doing, Tommy is a goldmine for them. Tommy is a "real" boxer, who has a famous name, and is less athletic than Jake. Tommy fought nobody but bums, his opponents have a combined 7 losses for every win...... so that is the reason Jake begged this man for a fight, even when it fell through twice, Jake kept coming back, desperate for this fight.

Jake and his team arent even confident in themselves, they have taken minimal risks, he has been doing this nonsense for 4 years now and this is his first boxing fight against a "boxer". Every opponent was carefully calculated, for maximum promotion vs minimal risk. Look at ben askren, hand picked pot bellied wrestler, performed so bad he was removed from the UFC, the worst striker in recent UFC history, 20 pounds smaller than Jake.... minimal risk but Jake can now claim he beat a "pro fighter", forget that he is a fat and old wrestler.

Comment

This post has balance, maturity and insight, unlike just about everything else put forth in this thread.

Comment

Whos the arab with a tablecloth on his head and why is he holding the made-up belt too? Is he the Saudi Hearn?

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded Terror View Post

This post has balance, maturity and insight, unlike just about everything else put forth in this thread.
                That's just like your opinion man
                Hooded Terror Hooded Terror likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Leicesterage View Post

The man is garbage. Straight garbage.

This fight is misleading and was a bit of a stitch up. Had a fight scheduled and then late replacement for this guy who is 15-1 (12 KOs). 33 year old full blown cruiserweight and an african cruiserweight champion at that. Not a fight that an up and coming early 20s fighter would usually be facing before he's had 10 fights. Factor in that the guy also came to fight but didn't lay a proper glove on Fury. It was a horrible fight to take even if it was an exhibition. Then you've also got the punk ringside in your ear all fight trying to put you off. That whole thing was set up to make Fury look bad. Analyse that video and the fight as a whole and it was a decent display by Fury.

If I were looking for something to bash Fury with then maybe his inability to get a light-heavy out of there before 8 rounds in Bocianski (last fight).

Comment

Originally posted by YoungManRumble View Post
                    Whos the arab with a tablecloth on his head and why is he holding the made-up belt too? Is he the Saudi Hearn?

anyone who knows these 2 have any insights? i only care as i have a couple of acca's with the youtuber as the final leg. That Fury looks absolute **** though? not sure whether to cover.

Comment

Maybe it's great marketing but real boxing, no. Boxing at it's core is still about best vs best and though many fights today are mismatches they're always followed by the post fight call out to the better opposition. Make no mistake, the call out is the lifeline, it's the anticipation of the eventuality of the best fighting the best and THAT anticipation is what keeps fans tuned in. Unfortunately since 2005 the best vs the best have been allowed to marinate to the point of ripening and rotting.....but that's for another conversation.

I'm sorry, but just because they're wear gloves does not make this the sweet science. At it's core what we have here is Reality TV, the spectacle of Kim kicking the shyt out of Marsha Brady. Fair from boxing this may be entertaining fight but boxing???? NO!. Promoters love it because they'd promote just about anything for money, but that's what they do. On the other hand, a real boxer recognizes this as the sideshow cash grab and a mockery of the art form they dedicated their lives to.​

Comment

Working...
                      X