Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather-Marquez Falls Short With The Gate

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mayweather-Marquez Falls Short With The Gate

    According to a report in USA Today, last Saturday's bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Juan Manuel Marquez was not a sold out event and it performed below expectations with the live gate at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The gate generated a total of $6,811,300. The total attendance was 13,116. Only 12,009 of those tickets were sold at face value, 895 were comps and 2,645 went unsold. It was Mayweather's first fight in nearly two years. He dominated Marquez to pick up a twelve round decision. [details]

  • #2
    This was obvious.

    Although gate revenue isn't where the lion's share of profit is made, it does say something about the public's interest in this fight.


    Nobody asked for this fight.


    The fact that they asked people to pay for it is a slap in the face of the fans. Especially after it being exposed for the mismatch that it was.

    Comment


    • #3
      "Its considered a disappointment" Yet people expected and thought less would be sold, same with the PPV people expected way less then what is being reported right now.

      GBP expected/was hoping for more.

      The Public/Boxing fans expected way less.
      Last edited by DE100; 09-24-2009, 03:16 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MOREBASS View Post
        This was obvious.

        Although gate revenue isn't where the lion's share of profit is made, it does say something about the public's interest in this fight.


        Nobody asked for this fight.


        The fact that they asked people to pay for it is a slap in the face of the fans. Especially after it being exposed for the mismatch that it was.
        Any word on the ppv sales yet?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DE100 View Post
          "Its considered a disappointment" Yet people expected and thought less would be sold, same with the PPV people expected way less then what is being reported right now.
          Um, no.

          People though that this fight would be the biggest since De La Hoya-Mayweather. HBO execs were on TV stating that this would shatter all records.


          What are you talking about?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MoneyMay1 View Post
            Any word on the ppv sales yet?
            Official numbers came out minutes ago, it did 314 million buys in the US alone, some reports are saying close to a billion buys in India and Pakistan combined. No word on how well it did in Afghanistan, but rumors are floyd has a huge following there.

            Comment


            • #7
              Considering what people were expecting, that's a success.

              Comment


              • #8
                I think vegas was an unwise place to hold the fight, for this particular matchup anyway. It seems to me the mexican americans in Nevada were not enough to sell out the live gate, and Floyd has few fans over there.

                If they had held the fight in a major urban area... New York, Chicago, LA... then the live gate would have sold out easy. Floyd has more fans than you all want to admit.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MOREBASS View Post
                  Um, no.

                  People though that this fight would be the biggest since De La Hoya-Mayweather. HBO execs were on TV stating that this would shatter all records.


                  What are you talking about?
                  People? You mean those trying to sell the fight? Sure as hell not the public thought that.

                  People, as in use thought is would bomb and would do very low ppv's. There were threads on here everyday saying so.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MOREBASS View Post
                    Um, no.

                    People though that this fight would be the biggest since De La Hoya-Mayweather. HBO execs were on TV stating that this would shatter all records.


                    What are you talking about?
                    who said it was going to shatter records? I didn't hear that one before. I thought people were predicting 500k to 900k. A million or more is obviously a massive success, imo.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X
                    TOP