Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets talk about resumes ( Mosley vs Mayweather)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
    Vernon would have been extremely hard fight, he was 5'11 and used every bit of his reach, plus he had a consistent jab and could truly punch as well( and had good hand and foot speed). Floyd beating Winky at 154 is also hard to picture. We really don't know how these fights would have turned out. Cotto would also be a tough one.
    Yea Vernon would deff have been a problem...but I don't think Winky would be...

Cotto may present problems as well...

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
      You may have a point there, and Floyd beating an opponent off of activity would be a first though. Activity is usually Floyd's opponents best chance of winning, but the punches landed would be in the single digits every round.
      I just think Winky would have a lotta difficulty hitting Floyd outside of jabs...

Center of the ring Floyd is faster on his legs and has better handspeed...

Winky's only moments will be when he has Floyd on the ropes and Winky doesn't put his opponents there really...outside of the Taylor fight where Jermain BACKED INTO THE ROPES himself...

Comment

Originally posted by The_Executioner View Post
        It would probably be a terrible fight...

Winky trying to walk Floyd down but Floyd being too fast for that to happen...

Floyd hits Winky's gloves for 12 rounds and wins on activity because Winky can't get off against such an elusive target...

I don't see anything in Winky's game that would bother Floyd...someone who doesn't throw a lot and isn't quick on there feet and doesn't apply pressure...Floyd would dance all night....
        Winky could be an effective pressure fighter when he chooses, especially in his fights against Soliman and Hopkins ( both bigger than Floyd) and even though he was never a big puncher, he was always very strong. He comes in tight behind his high guard with his long right jab so hes not open for counters when he steps in. The biggest problem that Floyd will have is the natural size advantage for Winky and his long reach. What will Floyd do if he can't crack Winky's defense? Also, if Floyd is only hoping to win the fight on work rate, the judges might like Winky's more effective shots, the way they did in the second Mosley fight. When one fighter is hitting gloves and the other fighter is landing clean shots, you have to score it for the fighter who is actually connecting.
        Last edited by slicksouthpaw16; 09-24-2009, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Plus Winky is a southpaw

Comment

Winky could be an effective pressure fighter when he chooses, especially in his fights against Soliman and Hopkins ( both bigger than Floyd) and even though he was never a big puncher, he was always very strong. He comes in tight behind his high guard with his long right jab so hes not open for counters when he steps in. The biggest problem that Floyd will have is the natural size advantage for Winky and his long reach. What will Floyd do if he can't crack Winky's defense? Also, if Floyd is only hoping to win the fight on work rate, the judges might like Winky's more effective shots, the way they did in the second Mosley fight. When one fighter is hitting gloves and the other fighter is landing clean shots, you have to score it for the fighter who is actually connecting.
            Floyd will go to Winky's body all night behind the tight guard...what makes you think Winky's gonna be landing effective shots? Soliman is whatever and Bernard has old legs...

Floyd is no stranger to fighting bigger men and he will keep this fight in the center of the ring for the most part...

The only advantage Winky has is his size and power...Floyd is faster, quicker, more elusive, better footwork, etc. Winky hasn't fought ANYONE who relates to Floyd's style...

Originally posted by BUL@H@W View Post
            Plus Winky is a southpaw
            Winky isn't Zab Judah...and Zab Judah isn't Winky...

Comment

Originally posted by The_Executioner View Post
              Floyd will go to Winky's body all night behind the tight guard...what makes you think Winky's gonna be landing effective shots? Soliman is whatever and Bernard has old legs...

Those were just examples of Wright being no stranger to playing as the aggressor, and i would say Hopkins is on par with Floyd when it comes to ring smarts even though he had ''old legs''. Winky was still 3 weight classes above his best and he was also past it at the time.

Winky will be landing the cleaner shots because of his superior technique and ability to cut off the ring without being open for counters( and don't forget that there is about a 3 or 4 inch height difference between the two). I think he would come inside the way Oscar did but only tighter and more controlled. There were times that Floyd struggled with Oscar's reach and size in the center of the ring as well. I think its pretty safe to say that on boxing ability alone, Wright is superior to Oscar.

Floyd is no stranger to fighting bigger men and he will keep this fight in the center of the ring for the most part...
              Why couldn't he keep Oscar in the center of the ring?
              The only advantage Winky has is his size and power...Floyd is faster, quicker, more elusive, better footwork, etc. Winky hasn't fought ANYONE who relates to Floyd's style...
              Winky isn't a big puncher. And for Floyd to hit Winky with body shots, that would mean he would have to come inside Winky's range and even when he does, Winly guards his body well also. I think Floyd would will be frustrated when he can't find a clean spot to land( just like Taylor and Mosley was).
              Last edited by slicksouthpaw16; 09-24-2009, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Winky isn't a big puncher.
                Yeah. But he did make Jermaine Taylor's face swell.

Comment

Originally posted by Chev Chelois View Post
                  Yeah. But he did make Jermaine Taylor's face swell.
                  That was from accumulation. If i plucked you in the eye about 20 times, I'm pretty sure it would swell too..LOL Taylor was foolishly backing into the ropes with his hands down to his side, and allowing Wright to tee off on him with combinations. Its like he was falling asleep.

Comment

Winky will be landing the cleaner shots because of his superior technique and ability to cut off the ring without being open for counters( and don't forget that there is about a 3 or 4 inch height difference between the two). I think he would come inside the way Oscar did but only tighter and more controlled.
                    [/QUOTE]

I don't think Winky's better than Floyd technically and I haven't seen him cut off the ring against someone as fast as Mayweather...

Oscar has faster hands than Winky and is quicker on his feet...

And a lotta times coming in Oscar would eat a punch and throw 5-6 flurries that were ineffective...

I don't think it'd be a domination but I think it'd be clear Winky has never been in the ring with a slick defensive fighter who is very good at taking his opponent's best weapon away...

Bernard took away Winky's jab I believe Floyd can too...

Comment

Absolutely true. You have to realize Mosley was fighting guys at Jr. Middleweight that are too big for him, and Floyd is even smaller. Floyd would definitely suffer some losses. As far as Mosley going through Floyd's resume, it's much harder to say because there are wins at a weight where Mosley never fought. P4P, saying Mosley will not have weight problems, he goes through Floyd's resume undefeated.

Comment

Working...
                      X