Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ricky Hatton, Marco Antonio Barrera Trade Punches in Eight Round Exhibition

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post

That's because BOXXER distanced themselves from the fight. Although the main event was Hatton-Barrera, it was NOT promoted by BOXXER. They promoted the rest of the card, but someone else was lead promoter for Hatton-Barrera. As a result, BOXXER did zero PR for the fight.... no photos, no setting up interviews, etc. I have no idea if anyone even handled PR for that fight.

The fight was dumped on the Jonas card by Sky Sports and I don't think BOXXER was that happy about that. They wanted no backlash in the event one of these guys got hurt.
    Interesting

i was wondering why there seemed to be no word on it from BOXXER. interestingly enough Hatton was involved with BOXXER when they started as Ultimate Boxxer.

I understand though. If I was a young promoter wanting to be taking seriously with credibility and still establishing myself, I’d be avoiding these exhibitions. Not that I have a problem with two old fighters having a bit of a move around but I wouldn’t want it dumped on my event.

Comment

That's because BOXXER distanced themselves from the fight. Although the main event was Hatton-Barrera, it was NOT promoted by BOXXER. They promoted the rest of the card, but someone else was lead promoter for Hatton-Barrera. As a result, BOXXER did zero PR for the fight.... no photos, no setting up interviews, etc. I have no idea if anyone even handled PR for that fight.

The fight was dumped on the Jonas card by Sky Sports and I don't think BOXXER was that happy about that. They wanted no backlash in the event one of these guys got hurt.
      ——
      Interesting and strange especially because exhibition fights are becoming routine now

Comment

Additionally, no one picked this fight up in the USA. Not televised at all. Only way to see it was to illegally stream.

I guess it was the Holyfield clown-show that made networks hesitant?

Bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by Motofan View Post
          How’d they each look? I know it’s an exhibition but I really liked watching both fighters in their day.
          They both looked amazing. No doubt they werent going hard out...but saying that...the ref had to remind them a couple of times that it was an exhibition. If you didnt know that it was...you would think it was more competitive than a lot of fights you see nowadays. Excellent fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Motofan View Post
            How’d they each look? I know it’s an exhibition but I really liked watching both fighters in their day.
            Honestly it wasn’t a bad watch if you take it for what it is. I wouldn’t watch it again or anything but it was a bit of fun.

They’re old friends so obviously they weren’t going full on trying to flatten each other. But you could see they were both very good fighters in their day.

Hatton still has surprisingly quick feet for his age, considering he’s spent the last 10 years being overweight until recently.

It was definitely better than Tyson v Jones Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyc420 View Post
              That was a fun watch actually.
              Terrible fight

Comment

Working...
              X