Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Caleb Plant Scores Brutal One-Punch Knockout of Anthony Dirrell in Ninth

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rosco3387 View Post

So many people underestimate Plant's abilities. breadman looks like he even upped his game a bit!
    I always knew Plant was skilled he has a great jab but I still don't think he's a huge power puncher. That was just a perfectly placed punch right on the money against a Dirrell who was at the tail end of his career. Meanwhile Plant is in his prime and coming off a semi-competitive fight against Canelo where he showed his place at the top of the division.

Caleb had power in his early career but I believe he broke his hand and that's when the knockouts stopped coming. It's an unfortunate part of boxing that sometimes changes the trajectory of ones career, there are plenty of examples of fighters who broke their hands and couldn't deliver many knockouts on the regular afterwards doesn't mean they still can't do it, just they aren't throwing everything into every punch anymore with the fear of injuring it again.

I saw training videos of Plant working with Breadman, he looked sharp and he was actually drilling that left to the body left upstairs and it worked perfectly. I'm a Benavidez fan but I think now I say that fight is 50-50, Benavidez isn't a huge puncher himself (he has also broken his hand) and he tends to break his opponents down with pressure and volume. I wonder if Plant caught him in an exchange how well he would take it, he was dropped by Gavril coming in so I think Plant would have a chance as well. I'm still going with Benavidez, but that would be the fight to make for sure and I think it would more competitive than most think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szr7m22nsRE

Rosco3387 Rosco3387 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Kannabis Kid View Post
      I always knew Plant was skilled he has a great jab but I still don't think he's a huge power puncher. That was just a perfectly placed punch right on the money against a Dirrell who was at the tail end of his career. Meanwhile Plant is in his prime and coming off a semi-competitive fight against Canelo where he showed his place at the top of the division.

Caleb had power in his early career but I believe he broke his hand and that's when the knockouts stopped coming. It's an unfortunate part of boxing that sometimes changes the trajectory of ones career, there are plenty of examples of fighters who broke their hands and couldn't deliver many knockouts on the regular afterwards doesn't mean they still can't do it, just they aren't throwing everything into every punch anymore with the fear of injuring it again.

I saw training videos of Plant working with Breadman, he looked sharp and he was actually drilling that left to the body left upstairs and it worked perfectly. I'm a Benavidez fan but I think now I say that fight is 50-50, Benavidez isn't a huge puncher himself (he has also broken his hand) and he tends to break his opponents down with pressure and volume. I wonder if Plant caught him in an exchange how well he would take it, he was dropped by Gavril coming in so I think Plant would have a chance as well. I'm still going with Benavidez, but that would be the fight to make for sure and I think it would more competitive than most think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szr7m22nsRE
      That accuracy was impressive. It reminded me of how Ward caught Dawson just above the glove lol, years back. I think the chemistry is such that with Breadman, Plant, who is in his physical twilight, could fight well for the next years using smarts, accuracy and knowing when/when not to sit down on his shots. If he takes care of himself he could keep things going physically for a bit!

Would love to see him fight Benavidez, agreed.
      Last edited by Rosco3387; 10-16-2022, 02:59 PM.
      Kannabis Kid Kannabis Kid likes this.

Comment

Canelo having an exceptional chin is a big part of his success.

Comment

This KO left me feeling uncomfortable AF because he was down so long. There is no reason for Dirrell not being thrown on a stretcher and rushed to the hospital for examination.

Boxing needs to step up ringside emergency care.

Comment

Wow! Yes! That was an entertaining fight. Great win for Plant!
            greeneye99 greeneye99 likes this.

Comment

Working...
            X