Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Top Six Unchanged, Haney Debuts: BoxingScene Competition Index October Update

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Top Six Unchanged, Haney Debuts: BoxingScene Competition Index October Update

The first half of 2022 was as good a six months as boxing could have asked for. The last three months have been a dramatic slowdown in the pace of the year with hopes for a smashing final quarter.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Canelo #1 been telling y'all but you Canelophobes and Hispanicphobes just can't handle reality.

Comment

How come Canelo is number one when he's the biggest cherry picker in boxing..

Imo thiss should be the top 10

Usyk Inoue
      Spence
      Crawford
      Chocolatito
      Bivol
      Beterbiev
      Jermell Charlo
      Haney
      Shakur

These guys consistently fought the best at their division unlike Alvaroids who continue to duck Benavidez and Charlo. He had no problems fighting Fielding and Yildirim tho
      Last edited by BigDramaShow!; 10-05-2022, 08:50 AM.

Comment

The inherent flaw in this list is that it assumes each division is equally talented and number one contenders are tried, true, and tested. The fact that guys like Jeison Rosario and Tony Harrison were ever rated near the top of that division shows how week it is and was. Charlo's best win is Brian Castano and he's second on this list. That says all you need to know.
        The Big Dunn The Big Dunn likes this.

Comment

Stopped reading when they said canelo is at the top still.
          tkoboxingscene tkoboxingscene likes this.

Comment

I like that they got a consistent scoring system at least, same can be said for Boxrec - up to a point it does lessen subjectivity, but obviously can't be free of it altogether since the scores also rely on subjective rankings from third parties too. It remains an interesting project and at the very least a starting point for further discussion.

Nonetheless it's probably about comparable to Boxrec in terms of how much the results align with my own personal (very loose) rankings of the current elite talent pool. ie - not very close at all.

Comment

Number 1 on the competition index AGAIN.

That tells you no one in the sport is fighting tougher opposition than Canelo.

It's good to see Jermell Charlo ranked so high, and Naoya Inoue not in the top 10. Those are well deserved rankings for both fighters in my opinion.

Comment

so..... the guy who is probably the best fighter in the world, does not even make the top 10 ?

you cannot box-by-numbers, this is not a maths game

mathematical scoring systems simply do not work, how can anyone not be aware of that ???

a board room discussion > vote > decision.... is far more accurate, and the only method that could work

Comment

For a rigid system that misses out on context and nuance, this is about as good as it gets and is more accurate than inaccurate. But there are numerous instances where this can have flawed results, such as overt robberies, where a preponderance or vast majority of the public saw the other guy win. Then there are losses to unranked fighters who might be better fighters than some of the ranked ones (not that it happens very often). I could go on but I think I'll end this with a question: How the hell is Jermall Charlo in the top 30 here? Seeing as how this list puts a premium on recent activity, Jermall hasn't fought in almost two years and counting, and his last fight was against a guy not highly ranked. I don't quite understand that. I'll have to look more closely later.

Comment

Originally posted by Cypocryphy View Post
                    For a rigid system that misses out on context and nuance, this is about as good as it gets and is more accurate than inaccurate. But there are numerous instances where this can have flawed results, such as overt robberies, where a preponderance or vast majority of the public saw the other guy win. Then there are losses to unranked fighters who might be better fighters than some of the ranked ones (not that it happens very often). I could go on but I think I'll end this with a question: How the hell is Jermall Charlo in the top 30 here? Seeing as how this list puts a premium on recent activity, Jermall hasn't fought in almost two years and counting, and his last fight was against a guy not highly ranked. I don't quite understand that. I'll have to look more closely later.

but, no system can be both of those things

a system cannot be.... " as good as it gets ".... if there are.... " numerous instances where it can have flawed results "

if any business uses a system that produces " numerous instances where it can have flawed results "​.... that system is considered to be a total failure, and would be removed/replaced immediately

you can't box-by-numbers.... you just can't

e.g.

The Ring religiously used lineage to rank fighters.... but that shltty system fell apart a few years ago.... back when Adonis Stevenson was ranked number 1 at light heavyweight for beating " the man ", despite the fact that Kovalev would have been highly favored to win that fight.... and back when Canelo was ranked number 1 at middleweight for beating " the man ",
                    despite never weighing more that 155, and despite never fighting a genuine middleweight opponent.... that was absurd, everyone knew that Golovkin was ranked number 1 at middleweight

lucky for The Ring they dumped that ranking-by-lineage nonsense.... or they would have a tricky time explaining the Lomachenko > Lopez > Kambosos > Haney nonsense.... they would have had Kambosos ranked at number 1, despite not being a top 5 lightweight

Last edited by aboutfkntime; 10-05-2022, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X