No announcement yet.

10 things to admire about Floyd...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 things to admire about Floyd...

A weekly boxing list compiled by Michael Rosenthal. This week: 10 things to admire about Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s remarkable ability. I get criticized a lot by readers who complain that I don’t appreciate a great boxer because I prefer those willing to exchange punches. In fact, I marvel at Mayweather’s skills.

1. Defensive skills: The best (along with Roy Jones Jr.) since Pernell Whitaker.
    2. Hand speed: It’s the ultimate natural weapon.
    3. Foot speed: He can see a punch coming and move his feet to get away. Sick.
    4. Power: It’s underrated. He’d have more knockouts if he threw more combinations.
    5. Intelligence: We tend to overlook this because of his physical gifts.
    6. Toughness: He has been hit and roughed up quite a bit but rarely hurt.
    7. Poise: He seems to be absolutely unflappable.
    8. Conditioning: Don’t you get the feeling he is fresh after 12 rounds?
    9. Patience: He doesn’t get anxious; he waits for opportunities – and then pounces.
    10. Athleticism: Another thing that might get lost in all this; he’s a suburb athlete.

Michael Rosenthal can be reached at RingTVeditor@yahoo.com

From Ring.

Not quite sure about toughness, he's never fought anyone that could continuously land on his chin. The most punishment he ever took was against Castillo, but that was to the body.

Everything else I agree with, the guy has major skills, even if you hate him you can't deny it.

Comment

That's Floyd Mayweather...

What can i say? He is really good.

Even if he risk himself a little bit against tough and bigger competition he would still win in a 70% ratio. (Cotto, Mosley, Williams).

Some smaller guys gotta a chance.
      Maybe Bradley slickness would give him some trouble...

Fast and skilled Lamont Peterson would have a chance as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivore
        Seems like Rosenthal has a raging hard-on for Floyd.

:*******: :gay:
        he is better than the klitschko brothers in every way
        is that why u dislike him?

Comment

Originally posted by Merseyside View Post
          A weekly boxing list compiled by Michael Rosenthal. This week: 10 things to admire about Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s remarkable ability. I get criticized a lot by readers who complain that I don’t appreciate a great boxer because I prefer those willing to exchange punches. In fact, I marvel at Mayweather’s skills.

1. Defensive skills: The best (along with Roy Jones Jr.) since Pernell Whitaker.
          2. Hand speed: It’s the ultimate natural weapon.
          3. Foot speed: He can see a punch coming and move his feet to get away. Sick.
          4. Power: It’s underrated. He’d have more knockouts if he threw more combinations.
          5. Intelligence: We tend to overlook this because of his physical gifts.
          6. Toughness: He has been hit and roughed up quite a bit but rarely hurt.
          7. Poise: He seems to be absolutely unflappable.
          8. Conditioning: Don’t you get the feeling he is fresh after 12 rounds?
          9. Patience: He doesn’t get anxious; he waits for opportunities – and then pounces.
          10. Athleticism: Another thing that might get lost in all this; he’s a suburb athlete.

Michael Rosenthal can be reached at RingTVeditor@yahoo.com

From Ring.

The ones i disagree with are..............

Toughness. Mayweather has not shown me toughness, he was crying like a ***** when he hurt his hand against C. Hernadez and he uses the Burton fight to describe a hard fight, that fight was not particularly hard imo, ive seen plenty of harder fight than that.

Power and Hand speed are extremely overrated.

Everything else is spot on though, intelligence,footspeed being his biggest asset.

Comment

Originally posted by karrapato View Post
            That's Floyd Mayweather...

What can i say? He is really good.

Even if he risk himself a little bit against tough and bigger competition he would still win in a 70% ratio. (Cotto, Mosley, Williams).

Some smaller guys gotta a chance.
            Maybe Bradley slickness would give him some trouble...

Fast and skilled Lamont Peterson would have a chance as well
            Your talking about in maybe 2-5 years right... as of now they would lose... you know that.

But everything else you said.. yea basically it's hard not love the gifts he has.. i found myself rooting for marquez a few times..

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivore
              Seems like Rosenthal has a raging hard-on for Floyd.

:*******: :gay:
              He is 10x better than the boring BITCHkos.
              your point?.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                Not quite sure about toughness, he's never fought anyone that could continuously land on his chin. The most punishment he ever took was against Castillo, but that was to the body.

Everything else I agree with, the guy has major skills, even if you hate him you can't deny it.
                b/c no one can continuously hit him on the chin. he has plenty of toughness

Comment

He doesn't even need toughness the way he fights. It's too hard to actually hit him flush.

Comment

Originally posted by sycomantz View Post
                    b/c no one can continuously hit him on the chin. he has plenty of toughness
                    I was just about to say the same thing! Well put.

Comment

Working...
                    X