Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Carlos Ortiz, Puerto Rico's First Two-Division Champion, Passes Away At Age 85

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Carlos Ortiz, Puerto Rico's First Two-Division Champion, Passes Away At Age 85

The boxing world has lost one of the greatest Puerto Rican fighters in history. BoxingScene.com is saddened to report the passing of former two-division champion Carlos Ortiz, who passed away on Monday in New York at age 85. News of his death came the day after a three-class International Boxing Hall of Fame (IBHOF) induction ceremony this past weekend, an event which Ortiz was a regular fixture since his induction in 1991.
    [Click Here To Read More]

As R.A the Rugged Man said in his infamous boxing rap. “Greatest Puerto Rican fighter: Carlos Ortiz”.

A true ATG who’ll be sadly missed. RIP Champ.

Comment

Rest in peace champ!

Last edited by War Room; 06-13-2022, 09:31 PM.

Comment

I'm very proud to say I not only met him at Gleason's gym and watched him train a fighter, I talked boxing with him and told him he was one of my favorite fighters and how I had film of him against Len Matthews, Johnny Busso I & II, Lou Bizzarro, Duilio Loi, Niccolino Locche, Joe Brown and many others. He told me he hadn't seen some of these fights after he fought them, and I went home and made copies, and brought them to him on DVD. He was very happy and excited to go home and watch them. One of the best boxers of any era, and possibly the best boxer P.R. produced. Some say Tito, some say Gomez, Cotto, Sixto Escobar. I say maybe Ortiz or Pedro Montanez, b4 him
        Last edited by archiemoore1; 06-13-2022, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Legendary fighter. One of my all time favourites and one of the greatest Lightweight's ever.

R.I.P

Comment

R.I.P. champ.

Berlanga should look at your fights to learn a thing or two.

Comment

He saw Berlanga's embarrassing performance on Saturday and decided to check out on Monday. Rest in Peace Champion.

Comment

Originally posted by archiemoore1 View Post
                I'm very proud to say I not only met him at Gleason's gym and watched him train a fighter, I talked boxing with him and told him he was one of my favorite fighters and how I had film of him against Len Matthews, Johnny Busso I & II, Lou Bizzarro, Duilio Loi, Niccolino Locche, Joe Brown and many others. He told me he hadn't seen some of these fights after he fought them, and I went home and made copies, and brought them to him on DVD. He was very happy and excited to go home and watch them. One of the best boxers of any era, and possibly the best boxer P.R. produced. Some say Tito, some say Gomez, Cotto, Sixto Escobar. I say maybe Ortiz or Pedro Montanez, b4 him
                Carlos Ortiz wasn't Puerto Rico's first champion, but he was Puerto Rico's first established long reigning champion.
                Very few of our world boxing champion's came close to his achievement's, and even fewer exceeded his achievement's.
                Kudos, and a tall salute to one of Puerto Rico's top 5 pound for pound greatest fighters of all time in the history of boxing.
                He was a great fighter, and a decent role model for our youth to follow in his footstep's. and emulate.
                God bless you, and rest in peace your our proven, and respected champion who reigned with honor, professionalism, and dignity.

Comment

RIP, one of Puerto Rico’s best.

Comment

Working...
                  X