Who will Gatti fight next?

Collapse
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • barryboy
    Glasgow's Finest
    Platinum Champion - 1,000-5,000 posts
    • Oct 2003
    • 3321
    • 56
    • 96
    • 9,717

    #11
    Gatti on the cards for Witter

    John Rawling
    Thursday March 10, 2005
    The Guardian

    Junior Witter's promoter Mick Hennessy has made a $2.5m (£1.3m) bid to give the British and Commonwealth light-welterweight title holder an opportunity against the World Boxing Council champion Arturo Gatti at Nottingham Arena on June 11.

    Gatti, a crowd-pleasing Canadian, was to have defended his title against Floyd Mayweather, but contract negotiations have broken down between his promoters Main Events and Bob Arum who represents Mayweather. The American broadcaster HBO is keen that Gatti still fights on June 11 and Hennessy believes Witter might provide the most lucrative option for the champion.

    Although Ricky Hatton is due to challenge Kostya Tszyu for the International Boxing Federation version of the title at the MEN Arena in Manchester the previous weekend, an event that is already a complete sell-out, Gatti would be a massive attraction at the 12,000-capacity Nottingham venue.

    "I have done my homework and I know that I can make this work," said Hennessy. "The most important thing is that Junior really wants the fight. In his last contest, against Lovemore N'Dou, he broke a bone in his hand in the second round and still won well. Now people in America are waking up to what a talented fighter he is.

    "This is a genuine offer and Gatti's people are considering it. But if they are not happy about coming to England, it is not a problem. Junior is ready to go anywhere to get the chance to fight for the title.

    "And the fact Hatton and Tszyu are fighting the previous week isn't a problem. People are always keen to see genuine fights and this would be special. And I believe Junior has the style and the power to beat Gatti."

    Witter's chances of landing the fight are further boosted by the three-fight co-promotional deal Hennessy signed with Oscar de la Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions last month.

    De la Hoya, who praised Witter's points win over N'Dou on the Bernard Hopkins-Howard Eastman undercard, said: "Everyone knows Arturo is a true warrior but personally I think it would be a very tough fight because Junior has substantial advantages in speed and power over him."

    Comment

    Working...
    TOP