Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NSB Pick Em 2022 MASTERTHREAD

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Top 10 right now is really stacked. Lots of skipping possible. Will be interesting how it goes from now on...

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Tatabanya View Post
      Next weekend, we have two potential Pick Em fights on FRIDAY:

      Fanlong v Pascal
      Lejarraga v Metcalf


      on Saturday we have

      Benavidez v Lemieux
      Buatsi v Richards

      As Gilbert O'Sullivan would have it, "what do we do?"
      veteran picker Tata, why do you come with these obscure-ish fights that are with non-rules based match-ups? Don't the fights have to be either top ten contenders or by 'public demand' - surely you're not suggesting there is much interest in the highlighted fights? ... i've no idea who Metcalf is.

      The other 2 fights are with contenders but I'd imagine most people would go for a Benavidez and a Buatsi KO.

      as an aside - didn't you get a perfect pick this weekend ?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by SteveM View Post

        veteran picker Tata, why do you come with these obscure-ish fights that are with non-rules based match-ups? Don't the fights have to be either top ten contenders or by 'public demand' - surely you're not suggesting there is much interest in the highlighted fights? ... i've no idea who Metcalf is.

        The other 2 fights are with contenders but I'd imagine most people would go for a Benavidez and a Buatsi KO.

        as an aside - didn't you get a perfect pick this weekend ?
        Haha, you got me again...

        Yes, I did get my first perfect pick thanks to Boots Ennis, but I got wrong on both remaining fights (and, for good measure, I put my betting money on Castano from 9th to 11th at the last minute, after I had already decided to put it on Charlo... and so my three-hundred win went into the toilet...)

        Yes, there's no popular demand for those two, but they're pretty balanced fights. See what happened with Ennis vs Clayton? It was in fact a mismatch. To be honest, I thought Yoka vs Bakole was another one... Only, it turned out to be a mismatch in reverse!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Tatabanya View Post

          Haha, you got me again...

          Yes, I did get my first perfect pick thanks to Boots Ennis, but I got wrong on both remaining fights (and, for good measure, I put my betting money on Castano from 9th to 11th at the last minute, after I had already decided to put it on Charlo... and so my three-hundred win went into the toilet...)

          Yes, there's no popular demand for those two, but they're pretty balanced fights. See what happened with Ennis vs Clayton? It was in fact a mismatch. To be honest, I thought Yoka vs Bakole was another one... Only, it turned out to be a mismatch in reverse!
          well we can always find more balanced fights if we look hard enough but I'm pretty sure our pick-em contenders won't have the time or interest to research somebody like Metcalf's fights - in fact Mikey G might need paying as he could be hours searching for vids of their last two fights :-)

          I thought Yoka could outbox Bakole - wrong! I was very indecisive on Charlo-Castano - i went with the more proven fighter in the end without much confidence.

          You lost $300 on Castano? - ouch!

          edit - you would have won $300 if Castano would have gotten the ko? - you and your long odds
          Last edited by SteveM; 05-15-2022, 03:39 PM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by SteveM View Post
            You lost $300 on Castano? - ouch!

            edit - you would have won $300 if Castano would have gotten the ko? - you and your long odds
            I would have won 300 with a bet of 50 on Charlo 9-to-11.

            Instead I spread those 50, 30 on Castano 9-to-11 and 20 on a parlay elsewhere in an attempt to win 450 + 340. Well deserved punishment for my stupid greed.
            Last edited by Tatabanya; 05-16-2022, 09:35 AM.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by SteveM View Post

              well we can always find more balanced fights if we look hard enough but I'm pretty sure our pick-em contenders won't have the time or interest to research somebody like Metcalf's fights - in fact Mikey G might need paying as he could be hours searching for vids of their last two fights :-)

              I thought Yoka could outbox Bakole - wrong! I was very indecisive on Charlo-Castano - i went with the more proven fighter in the end without much confidence.

              You lost $300 on Castano? - ouch!

              edit - you would have won $300 if Castano would have gotten the ko? - you and your long odds
              Haha! Yeah some of them just can't be found, but there is always something at least. So it's not really some hardcore searching on my part, but it takes some time. I just like to contribute something, because Pick Em is fun for me.
              SteveM and Tatabanya like this.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Tatabanya View Post
                Next weekend, we have two potential Pick Em fights on FRIDAY:

                Fanlong v Pascal
                Lejarraga v Metcalf

                on Saturday we have

                Benavidez v Lemieux
                Buatsi v Richards

                As Gilbert O'Sullivan would have it, "what do we do?"
                [Content is Protected, Please Register For Free To Unlock This Content]

                Originally posted by SteveM View Post

                veteran picker Tata, why do you come with these obscure-ish fights that are with non-rules based match-ups? Don't the fights have to be either top ten contenders or by 'public demand' - surely you're not suggesting there is much interest in the highlighted fights? ... i've no idea who Metcalf is.

                The other 2 fights are with contenders but I'd imagine most people would go for a Benavidez and a Buatsi KO.

                as an aside - didn't you get a perfect pick this weekend ?
                Yeah, despite the very real mismatch problem - especially with Benavidez vs Lemieux - we're gonna go with the two Saturday fights. Lejarraga vs Metcalf will be a barnburner as long as it goes, you know precisely what you're gonna get with Kerman, although it's a mystery to me why the bookies got it as close as they have - Metcalf is both outgunned and fighting in Kerman's back yard.

                Fanlong vs Pascal... only intrigue for me is trying to figure out how the bookies got Fanlong the favourite even despite Jean having close to 30 months out of the ring. Fanlong has fought literally no-one and hasn't even looked stellar doing it. I know Pascal's old now but this is still an epic level change for Meng. Dunno.. maybe the bookies are seeing something in him I don't.

                Buatsi vs Richards is a fun one despite Joshua being a big, big favourite I could see the very real possibility of the upset here... would I bet on it? no, probably not, even at those odds, but for those so inclined I'd say you could do worse.

                Benavidez vs Lemieux - ugh, kinda got to... not expecting many to pick David though. Guess the first question is 'does Lemieux see the final bell' and the second is 'what round?'

                Comment


                • Originally posted by PICK EM CREW View Post




                  Yeah, despite the very real mismatch problem - especially with Benavidez vs Lemieux - we're gonna go with the two Saturday fights. Lejarraga vs Metcalf will be a barnburner as long as it goes, you know precisely what you're gonna get with Kerman, although it's a mystery to me why the bookies got it as close as they have - Metcalf is both outgunned and fighting in Kerman's back yard.

                  Fanlong vs Pascal... only intrigue for me is trying to figure out how the bookies got Fanlong the favourite even despite Jean having close to 30 months out of the ring. Fanlong has fought literally no-one and hasn't even looked stellar doing it. I know Pascal's old now but this is still an epic level change for Meng. Dunno.. maybe the bookies are seeing something in him I don't.

                  Buatsi vs Richards is a fun one despite Joshua being a big, big favourite I could see the very real possibility of the upset here... would I bet on it? no, probably not, even at those odds, but for those so inclined I'd say you could do worse.

                  Benavidez vs Lemieux - ugh, kinda got to... not expecting many to pick David though. Guess the first question is 'does Lemieux see the final bell' and the second is 'what round?'
                  well the choice here is early mid or late ko - i'd be very surprised if there is any other outcome. I want to look at the Bivol Richards fight to see whether Bivol took his foot off or Richards fought his way back into contention - on paper this is less clear cut than Yoka-Bakole was and we saw what happened there.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by PICK EM CREW View Post
                    Fanlong vs Pascal... only intrigue for me is trying to figure out how the bookies got Fanlong the favourite even despite Jean having close to 30 months out of the ring. Fanlong has fought literally no-one and hasn't even looked stellar doing it. I know Pascal's old now but this is still an epic level change for Meng. Dunno.. maybe the bookies are seeing something in him I don't.
                    Of course you were right, and I could have won a hundred on Pascal had I bet on the simple win... Instead I went for the late KO to win 500, and of course lost my money.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Tatabanya View Post

                      Of course you were right, and I could have won a hundred on Pascal had I bet on the simple win... Instead I went for the late KO to win 500, and of course lost my money.
                      Ha - wasn't right by much, Fanlong did better than I thought but Jean's all dog and his experience served him well. I couldn't have been more wrong about Metcalf vs Lejarraga though. Really didn't think JJ had it in him to outbox Kerman for 10..

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X
                      TOP