Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Eumir Marcial Knocks Arman Darchinyan Out In 1st Round, Joins Khyzhniak, Sousa, Bakshi In Middleweight Semifinals

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As for pros participating in the Olympics, apparently there is a lot of them in this Olympics.

"An Associated Press examination of the Tokyo Olympic field found 36 men and seven women with professional boxing experience, representing 24 nations from six continents. It's a sharp rise from the three pros who competed with minimal success in Rio de Janeiro, the first Olympics in which professionals were allowed to participate. Pros will comprise about 19% of the 186 men, 7% of the 100 women and 15% of the entire Tokyo group.

Yet nearly all of the prizefighters in the Tokyo field have very limited résumés, with 23 of the 43 showing fewer than three recorded pro bouts. Even fewer pros likely would have been in Tokyo in 2020, with several qualified fighters only starting their pro careers during the yearlong pandemic delay.

"Turning pro developed me into a more complete fighter, and I'm coming back as an amateur with no pressure," said US lightweight Keyshawn Davis, who will fight in Tokyo after taking three professional bouts in early 2021. "I loved my taste of pro boxing, and I'm bringing that back to the Olympics."

The US team has three pros — Davis, Troy Isley and Duke Ragan — whose nine combined fights were all six rounds or shorter.

"They couldn't be more different," USA Boxing head coach Billy Walsh said of the Olympic and pro styles. "It's like two runners: One is a marathon runner, and one is a sprinter."

The qualifying tournaments for the current Olympic cycle were badly altered by the pandemic, which might have dissuaded some experienced prizefighters from trying to reach Tokyo — but which also prompted some young fighters to start their pro careers while they waited.

"If it wasn't for COVID, he never would have turned pro before the Olympics," Gibbons said of Marcial.

Last edited by cjeagle1; 08-01-2021, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Marcial will be next Pinoy Champion of the world. Pinoys kings of boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by RGJTMMRDCMJRJSM View Post
        Meh. The bronze medal is the most he could get. His next fight is against Khyzniak. They fought before and Marcial lost badly (received a 8 count). Even if he gets through Khyzniak, he's fighting Bakshi in the finals who destroyed him in their previous bout.
        As Marcial said about the next fight with Khyzniak, he has gained a lot more experience since they last fought, training in the US for more than a year under Roach at the Wild Card gym where he was able to spar with not only pros but also former world ranked amateurs in and around his weight division and then training with the US Olympic boxing team in Colorado.
        Last edited by cjeagle1; 08-01-2021, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Meh. The bronze medal is the most he could get. His next fight is against Khyzniak. They fought before and Marcial lost badly (received a 8 count). Even if he gets through Khyzniak, he's fighting Bakshi in the finals who destroyed him in their previous bout.
          It should be a different fight this time. I got Eumir taking it.

Comment

Yeah I give him a good shot to beat Khyzniak but Bakshi is gonna be tough.

Comment

Definitely the fan favourite with his power punching style and none of his opponents have even got out of the first round. Would be a fairytale ending if he snags the gold.

Comment

Darchinyan was claiming at the end of fight that he received a foul punch by pointing to the back of the head but as video replay shows it was a clean punch to the chin that decked and concussed him.

https://streamable.com/7zbo7y
                Last edited by cjeagle1; 08-02-2021, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X