Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Mairis Briedis, IBF Cruiserweight Champion, Announces Move To Heavyweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Mairis Briedis, IBF Cruiserweight Champion, Announces Move To Heavyweight

IBF cruiserweight champion Mairis Briedis has announced that he'll no longer be fighting in the division. "Hey guys, I'm coming to heavyweight," Briedis said during a workout session before unleashing a barrage of punches on the heavy bag.
    [Click Here To Read More]

That probably makes Okolie the big dog at 200 now, honestly, but I don't think he'll be at cruiser that much longer either. All the best guys from the last few years have gone or are going to HW, division will be wide open soon. Interested to see what Briedis does at HW and whom the IBF orders to fight for that title
    Castilo Castilo Dare7 Dare7 like this.

Comment

Originally posted by BigZ44 View Post
      That probably makes Okolie the big dog at 200 now, honestly, but I don't think he'll be at cruiser that much longer either. All the best guys from the last few years have gone or are going to HW, division will be wide open soon. Interested to see what Briedis does at HW and whom the IBF orders to fight for that title
      I wanna see Okollie vs Makabu at Cruiserweight and Breidis vs Gassiev at Heavyweight.
      Dare7 Dare7 likes this.

Comment

Breidis will be bait and food for the good heavies, IMO. Bad move…. Just one mans opinion

Comment

Exactly Lawrence Okolie is going to get all dem belts to be undisputed, lineal & ring magazine cruiserweight champion! TBH I see no one stopping him in that division now. Briedis was that one that would have given Okolie work but it seems He wants the big pay day and you can easily get them in the heavyweights nowadays.

Even Okolie won't be there for long, once he grabs all the belts he will step up as well
          Castilo Castilo likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post

I wanna see Okollie vs Makabu at Cruiserweight and Breidis vs Gassiev at Heavyweight.
            Think Okolie/Makabu may be an ugly fight stylistically. Hope we get Makabu/Mchunu 2 next, while Okolie deals with his mandatory. May favorite fight with Okolie at 200 would probably be against Dorticos. When Okolie goes up, the division will be truly wide open. Wonder if someone will see a power vacuum and try a crazy move for a title (ie Canelo)

Comment

He has a lot of options.

It makes sense for him to get a rematch with Usyk, regardless of what happens in Usyk’s next fight.

It makes sense for him to eventually get Gassiev if both continue to win.

It makes sense for him to get Dereck Chisora or Joseph Parker at some point.

Smart move financially.
              Castilo Castilo likes this.

Comment

Think Okolie/Makabu may be an ugly fight stylistically. Hope we get Makabu/Mchunu 2 next, while Okolie deals with his mandatory. May favorite fight with Okolie at 200 would probably be against Dorticos. When Okolie goes up, the division will be truly wide open. Wonder if someone will see a power vacuum and try a crazy move for a title (ie Canelo)
                I actually think Dorticos could catch him and knock him out. Would be a good fight providing the referee doesn’t allow all the holding and grappling from Okollie.

Mchunu is a bit of an enigma man, sometimes he looks fantastic but other times he looks like a higher level journeyman just going through the motions. I remember seeing him school Eddie Chambers and thinking he was a future world champion for sure but he seems to always fall short in his biggest fights. Looked good vs Lebedev last time out though. Massive win for him.

I could only see Canelo going above 175 if it was some sort of catchweight like 180 or something. Which is completely fair considering the size of Canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post

I actually think Dorticos could catch him and knock him out. Would be a good fight providing the referee doesn’t allow all the holding and grappling from Okollie.

Mchunu is a bit of an enigma man, sometimes he looks fantastic but other times he looks like a higher level journeyman just going through the motions. I remember seeing him school Eddie Chambers and thinking he was a future world champion for sure but he seems to always fall short in his biggest fights. Looked good vs Lebedev last time out though. Massive win for him.

I could only see Canelo going above 175 if it was some sort of catchweight like 180 or something. Which is completely fair considering the size of Canelo.
                  That win over Lebedev was 2 fights ago for Mchunu, he returned to Russia recently and dominated Evgeny Tischenko; undefeated giant Cruiser with big Olympic pedigree. Mchunu has had a big career resurgence

Comment

That win over Lebedev was 2 fights ago for Mchunu, he returned to Russia recently and dominated Evgeny Tischenko; undefeated giant Cruiser with big Olympic pedigree. Mchunu has had a big career resurgence
                    My bad man… I actually watched that fight too, think it was a fight featured in the Pick Em league on here. Just completely forgot about it.

Another good performance from Mchunu though, definitely deserving of another title shot at 200 lbs.

Comment

Working...
                    X