Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

REVEALED: Shawn Porter's Mandatory For Crawford's WBO - The Truth Of The Situation (From Porter Himself)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REVEALED: Shawn Porter's Mandatory For Crawford's WBO - The Truth Of The Situation (From Porter Himself)

I said before that the reason the fight hasn't gotten hard booked is that Shawn is trying to negotiate in good faith.

Meanwhile, WBO refuses to threaten Crawford like they threatened Herring (Fresh after a fight!) and Joshua (continually).

Crawford is very near 2 years out from a mandatory defense. Vergil Ortiz was just placed #1. Crawford already ducked Ortiz, as I covered elsewhere, saying he needs to "earn" it.

So what does this all mean?

We finally get to hear from Porter himself about what the deal is. In summary:

WBO executives do NOT consider Porter the mandatory (this is the required announcement I keep talking about that they refuse to do for 2 years but only for Crawford)

It was just confirmed by executive members of the WBO that Porter is not the current champ's mandatory challenger.
    This contradicts what both BoMac and Crawford said - because when Crawford got asked about an Ortiz fight, he said that Porter was the mandatory.

So somebody's lying - and I suspect it's Crawford.

BoMac lied when he said that Porter activated the mandatory (I covered that here: https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/boxing-forums/non-stop-boxing/30826920-breaking-bomac-says-porter-activated-the-wbo-mandatory)

Not only is Porter not the mandatory - apparently - but....

Porter is still trying to negotiate in good faith. WBO wants him to force a mandatory; he wants to do it the regular way rather than force it, due to friendship but also payday.

“I’m doing the best I can to not lose what I consider to be a good friend (Crawford)," Porter stated on a recent PBC Podcast. "He’s a good dude, and there’s not too many guys like him in the sport. For us to have the kind of friendship that we’ve had for some time, what I don’t want to do is say something that bothers him to the point that he doesn’t want to be my friend, moving forward beyond boxing.”

“I think that’s one thing that most of these guys don’t realize is that we have a life after this sport, and we need to be prepared for it. Instead of looking at championships and what kind of purse they’re going to get from this fight, no one really prepares for life after boxing. That’s something my dad taught me well before I became a professional.”

“So I’m doing my best to try and create a fight without trying to lose a friend at the same time."

According to the bylaws of the World Boxing Organization, Porter dramatically limits his earning potential if he activates his mandatory position. If the WBO is petitioned to intervene and force the champion's hand, a title challenger is only entitled to 25% of the overall purse. So even if the Crawford vs Porter match goes to a purse bid and a promoter wins by offering a $10 million bid, Porter would only be entitled to 25% of the hefty allotment.

... A mere fraction of what the proud Ohio native believes he's currently worth.
    Now, the irony of this quote is that Shawn is just as much friends with Keef and he had ZERO issue facing him, calling him out, embarrassing him publicly, etc. Belts were on the line, paydays were a contentious point, etc.

Also I would point out: Tommy Hearns and Marvin Hagler couldn't STAND each other when they fought. They were out for blood. Yet all the way to Hagler's death they were the best of friends.

So if Porter thinks that Crawford is so petty and fickle that he would just break a friendship over the fight game...I mean, I hate to use the term, but that's straight up b8tchassness.

Here's my question. Why did the WBO feel it necessary to straight up ruin Herring's win by announcing a mandatory...repeatedly threaten Joshua with an Usyk mandatory, yet not a peep on Crawford? Did Porter tell them to back off? Did Ortiz lobby to get ranked #1? And what happens if Ortiz lobbies for mandatory?
    It's hard not to like former IBF and WBC Welterweight champion "Showtime" Shawn Porter.  Although "business is business" in this brutal and often thankless industry, the Ohio born fighter is doing his best to manage his own career as well as his longstanding relationship with friend and potential opponent Terence "Bud" Crawford.   Despite being deemed the number one contender in the WBO's welterweight rankings, the 33 year old puncher is not officially Crawford's WBO mandatory challenger and is ...
    Last edited by Combat Talk Radio; 04-25-2021, 09:47 AM.

Some points to make:

The WBO isn’t threatening Crawford because the number one contender, Shawn Porter, never activated his mandatory contender position in the nine months he was ranked number one.

The others you mentioned have opponents who are willing to take the risk and fight them for the mandatory contender cut.

Crawford hasn’t fought a mandatory in 16 months. During 9 of those 16 months, Shawn Porter was the number one contender and refused to activate his mandatory. There’s also a pandemic and multiple champions who haven’t fought mandatories in the same period of time.

Crawford didn’t duck Ortiz. Ortiz has 15 fights and Crawford just made a comment about how he’s still green when asked about him. If Ortiz activates the mandatory and Crawford vacates, we can discuss ducking. Until then, its an insane discussion.

The WBO doesn’t consider Porter a mandatory because Porter never activated his mandatory challenger status.

Were Crawford and his team lying when they called Porter the mandatory, or were they just referring to the number one contender in the WBO rankings as a mandatory contender? Maybe they expected Porter to activate the mandatory and not duck the fight?

Weird how you place blame on the WBO and then casually mention they want Porter to activate the mandatory. If they’re begging him to activate it, why are you claiming they aren’t pressuring Crawford?

Porter is not avoiding the activation of the mandatory because he’s Crawford’s friend, he’s avoiding it because he wants more money or he’ll duck the fight. He’s not worried that Crawford won’t be his friend. He wants more money. What a stupid narrative the friendship is here.

Originally posted by revelated View Post
    I said before that the reason the fight hasn't gotten hard booked is that Shawn is trying to negotiate in good faith.

Meanwhile, WBO refuses to threaten Crawford like they threatened Herring (Fresh after a fight!) and Joshua (continually).

Crawford is very near 2 years out from a mandatory defense. Vergil Ortiz was just placed #1. Crawford already ducked Ortiz, as I covered elsewhere, saying he needs to "earn" it.

So what does this all mean?

We finally get to hear from Porter himself about what the deal is. In summary:

WBO executives do NOT consider Porter the mandatory (this is the required announcement I keep talking about that they refuse to do for 2 years but only for Crawford)

This contradicts what both BoMac and Crawford said - because when Crawford got asked about an Ortiz fight, he said that Porter was the mandatory.

So somebody's lying - and I suspect it's Crawford.

BoMac lied when he said that Porter activated the mandatory (I covered that here: https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/boxing-forums/non-stop-boxing/30826920-breaking-bomac-says-porter-activated-the-wbo-mandatory)

Not only is Porter not the mandatory - apparently - but....

Porter is still trying to negotiate in good faith. WBO wants him to force a mandatory; he wants to do it the regular way rather than force it, due to friendship but also payday.

Now, the irony of this quote is that Shawn is just as much friends with Keef and he had ZERO issue facing him, calling him out, embarrassing him publicly, etc. Belts were on the line, paydays were a contentious point, etc.

Also I would point out: Tommy Hearns and Marvin Hagler couldn't STAND each other when they fought. They were out for blood. Yet all the way to Hagler's death they were the best of friends.

So if Porter thinks that Crawford is so petty and fickle that he would just break a friendship over the fight game...I mean, I hate to use the term, but that's straight up b8tchassness.

Here's my question. Why did the WBO feel it necessary to straight up ruin Herring's win by announcing a mandatory...repeatedly threaten Joshua with an Usyk mandatory, yet not a peep on Crawford? Did Porter tell them to back off? Did Ortiz lobby to get ranked #1? And what happens if Ortiz lobbies for mandatory?

Comment

Crawford is a P4P guy but he’s not a draw. Arum already stated he’s losing money on him so he’s not going to pony up to get him a big name that his resume sorely lacks.
      Porter isn’t going to force a mandatory as he’d make less than Haymon would give him for most other in house opponents or Crawford would just vacate because he has some fantasy that he should get top dollar when he can’t sell PPV’s and can’t sell out gyms in Nebraska.
      This all comes back to Crawford going to Top Rank. He knew what position he was putting himself in. The top names at WW are with PBC or DAZN so he put up an extra barrier to getting the fights he needs for his legacy. Don’t feel bad for him. He’s a grown man that made that decision. He’s approaching mid 30’s and with his current resume he’ll be quickly forgotten.

Comment

Crawford is a not a draw, that's a given.
        So why in Neptune would you demand unrealistic amounts of money?
        And I have to keep repeating this:
        Is the opportunity or chance to beat Crawford have any value at all?
        Which means if you beat him the money you demand will be much more than you realize.

Comment

Originally posted by genrick View Post
          Which means if you beat him the money you demand will be much more than you realize.
          Solid points. It's like applying for a job and asking for a huge salary when you haven't even been requested to appear for an interview.

Comment

Re: the bold.

You're grossly overrating Terence "The Living Legend" Crawford's value.

They just want the belt and the chance to take his "O".

Which is why I said Crawford might as well just fight Ortiz. No PBC to worry about and it's still a threat.

Comment

Because the WBO does what Bob says. Bob values Mexican fighters over black fighters. He'll be quick to make Ortiz vs Crawford. How was Ortiz vs Hooker a WBO eliminator when it was Hooker's first fight at the full welterweight limit and he hadn't fought in over 15 months and he never held the WBO at 140?
              Leicesterage Combat Talk Radio likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post

Re: the bold.

You're grossly overrating Terence "The Living Legend" Crawford's value.

They just want the belt and the chance to take his "O".

Which is why I said Crawford might as well just fight Ortiz. No PBC to worry about and it's still a threat.
                I see. So you're really not interested in seeing Porter beat Crawford. Or no interest in the fight at all. Okaay doe!
                I see that you're only interested in playing blame games, instead of making this fight happen so we can all watch it.
                I suggest that you stop mentioning Porter and Crawford. People do have capacity to move on.

Comment

I’ve heard Porter himself say Vergil Ortiz is “very nice” one of his podcasts. Never thought much of that but I think I know the reason why all this happened.

if I’m Not mistaken the WBO still does 75/25 purse bid and I think both promoters (TR/PBC) didn’t want to gamble on the risk for this fight given the numbers. First, TR wouldn’t know if Haymon could win the bid, or, Porter (to his right) does deserve more than 25% given his ratings accomplishments, so I have no doubt Porter would kindly feel Ortiz deserves 25% because he’s far from accomplished with gates, ratings, belts etc... no way Porter is scared of Bud it’s all politics about money.

Comment

I see. So you're really not interested in seeing Porter beat Crawford. Or no interest in the fight at all. Okaay doe!
                    I see that you're only interested in playing blame games, instead of making this fight happen so we can all watch it.
                    I suggest that you stop mentioning Porter and Crawford. People do have capacity to move on.
                    You just flip-flopped, bro.

In one breath you said you'd rather see Crawford fight Pacquiao despite knowing that fight wasn't going to happen.

Meanwhile, I've been consistent from day one. You can go back in history and confirm.

I want Crawford to fight a THREAT.

I don't give a damn which threat.

And I specifically called out the list, and that list has not changed for a year.

Keef
                    Danny Swift
                    Shawn Porter
                    Vergil Ortiz

I don't care which one he fights. But that's the list. Pick one.

Not old Manny.

Not some no-name.

Not some damaged fighter.

Not some washed fighter.

Any of those four, I don't care which.

Hell, I'd even be okay with Mikey Garcia at this point. Or even tiny ass Gary Russell Jr.

Once he proves to me that he can comfortably deal with a threat WITHOUT help from the ref and without low blows or other dirty fighting, then and only then will I ask for a Spence fight.

Or, if he accepts B-Side humbly, like Floyd did against De La Hoya, I'm fine with a Spence fight sooner.

Consistent from day one bro.

Comment

Working...
                    X