Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lewis v Bowe 1993 "Why it never happened"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sooner did we figure out what heavyweight champion Riddick Bowe meant when he said, "I am the man who beat the man who beat the man who beat the man"—Bowe decisioned Evander Holyfield, who stopped Buster Douglas, who KO'd Mike Tyson—than the WBC, reacting to Bowe's refusal to fight No. 1 contender Lennox Lewis (a refusal that Bowe, who retains the WBA and IBF crowns, elucidated by dumping the WBC belt in a trash can), awarded its version of the title to Lewis, which is just as well, since, having whipped Bowe for the Olympic gold medal in 1988, Lewis is the man who beat the man who beat the man who beat the man who beat the man.

Come Again Again?

Given the foul, degrading and disingenuous manner in which business is often conducted in boxing, Lewis may have to wait until 1994 to make the case that he's the best. When he flattened Ruddock, Lewis and his manager, Frank Maloney. believed that Lewis would get the first shot at the winner of the Nov. 13 Evander Holyfield-Riddick Bowe title bout, a shot that both Holyfield and Bowe had indicated they would give him.

However, after Bowe outpointed Holyfield, it quickly became clear that Bowe's manager, Rock Newman, had no more intention of having his fighter meet Lewis right away than he had of dancing with a chain saw. Newman tossed a low-ball offer at Lewis, which Lewis rejected; then, looking for big money and easy pickings. Newman and Bowe signed a six-fight contract with Time Warner Sports, whose president, Seth Abraham, had been pushing Lewis as the greatest heavyweight in the world—"Lennox Lewis is the real deal," Abraham said last fall—right up to the Bowe-Holyfield fight, after which he began hyping Bowe. "Riddick Bowe could make as much as $100 million if he wins all six fights," Abraham said.

The dead-meat parade begins at Madison Square Garden on Feb. 6, when Bowe steps into the ring against 34-year-old Michael Dokes. a 250-pound spent bullet whose battle against cocaine addiction has been quite as spectacular as any he has waged in the ring. Once he has dispatched Dokes, Bowe will entertain Ray Mercer in Atlantic City in May in another waste of time. After Mercer he may take on George Foreman and even Larry Holmes, boxing's senior citizens.

On Dec. 14 Bowe relinquished the World Boxing Council's version of the heavyweight title by dumping the WBC belt in the trash. It was an unnecessary bit of showmanship; the WBC was going to strip him anyway for ducking Lewis. No longer the undisputed champ, Bowe now holds the World Boxing Association and International Boxing Federation belts. The WBC conferred its title on Lewis.

As things turned out, Lewis also ended up in the bosom of Abraham. On Jan. 14 Time Warner Sports announced that it had signed Lewis to a four-fight, multimillion-dollar contract. Like Bowe. he must win to advance to the next bout. "We knew we couldn't make [Bowe and Lewis] fight each other," Abraham explains. "So we decided the next best thing is to put both men under contract and use our influence to get them to fight. It's courtesy and it's politic and it's good business to start with Bowe. If we start the other way, Rock Newman would not make a deal with us.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
      Riddick Bowe was Undisputed Heavyweight Champion of the World.. holding all 3 belts, he had 3 mandatory challengers..

IBF - Holyfield
      WBC - Lewis
      WBA - Ferguson

Ferguson had just beaten Ray Mercer in a final-eliminator for the Mandatory position.

Lennox Lewis had just beaten Ruddock in a final-eliminator yet was virtually unknown outside of Britain

Bowe was looking to a $30 million payday in a rematch with former champion Evander Holyfield with the purse split being 75/25 to the champion.

Riddick Bowe was the champion, he was involved in the discussions, yet there is some on the forum who claim to know better than Bowe, these fools was most likely hiding under the table when these discussions was taking place. This is evidence `straight from the horses mouth` who can doubt the series of events
      I'm not claiming i know the exact series of events, because i don't. But you must really worship him if you trust everything Riddick Bowe says. Just because a boxer says something doesn't mean it's true. He's just going to say whatever makes him look better. Ask Lewis and he will tell you something different. There's 2 sides to every story.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe2608 View Post
        I'm not claiming i know the exact series of events, because i don't. But you must really worship him if you trust everything Riddick Bowe says. Just because a boxer says something doesn't mean it's true. He's just going to say whatever makes him look better. Ask Lewis and he will tell you something different. There's 2 sides to every story.
        He doesn't worship Bowe, he's just one of the bigger Lennox Lewis haters on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe2608 View Post
          Yep.

But one thing that is clear is that 25% is pathetic when you are guaranteed a title shot when Bowe ducks you and you have already beaten him in the Olympics

Bowe should of wanted this fight more than Lewis but he chose to duck him by low balling him.

Bowe himself admits that he offered 25%.

Comment

Oh and all I can hear in the video posted is...

"uhhhhh wubba wubba mmmmmmm huuuuuuuu... heh heh... and hmmmmmmmm woola booooo niiii"

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
              If you beat someone in the Olympics and were guaranteed to fight for that title anyway when they duck you would you accept 25% ? fcuk no!!

You would say jog on ill take the title and you are gonna be left with the hang up that ive already whooped yo ass.

He low balled Lewis with 25% because he did not want the fight. Oldest trick in the book.
              Oh Kid... you are the guy who supplied this video of Riddick Bowe, now you are calling him a liar... how stupid can you get

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
                Yep.

But one thing that is clear is that 25% is pathetic when you are guaranteed a title shot when Bowe ducks you and you have already beaten him in the Olympics

Bowe should of wanted this fight more than Lewis but he chose to duck him by low balling him.

Bowe himself admits that he offered 25%.
                Bowe accepted 25% to get a shot at Holyfield.. Holyfield accepted 25% in their rematch

your story dont make sense Kid

Comment

Oh god...not THIS old story again! Can't you see, there is no solution, youre just gonna run around in circles arguing who did what and who said what.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                    Bowe accepted 25% to get a shot at Holyfield.. Holyfield accepted 25% in their rematch

your story dont make sense Kid

Who cares what Bowe got to face Holyfield that is a different scenario.

Bowe got his ass stomped in the Olympics by Lewis and Holyfield was undisputed Champ, Bowe would not have been Undisputed Champ if he had not faced Lewis because he would have had to drop a belt and Lewis could of laid claim to being a Heavyweight Champ.

Bowe made every possible attempt to dodge Lewis and its so obvious you would have to have a mental disorder not to see it.

Newman wisely ducked a commitment to the World Boxing Council to fight the winner of the October 1992 Lennox Lewis-Razor Ruddock fight—a commitment he had agreed to keep if Bowe won the title—and then called a press conference in London, Lewis's hometown, where Bowe deposited his WBC belt in a garbage can before the organization had the chance to strip him and give the belt to Lewis. And at times it has been a show of artful dodging, as when Newman deflected the heat he got in the aftermath of February's Bowe-Michael Dokes one-round fiasco by grandly proposing a $32 million, winner-take-all fight contract with Lewis, which he had mined with terms so unacceptable to Lewis's camp that the contract blew up at first touch.

Comment

I dont necessarily think Bowe ducked Lewis, i think Rock Newman was to blame for the fight not taking place, he wanted to build the fight up to make more money but when all said and done it does seem like he did advise Bowe to avoid Lewis meantime and Bowe went through with it.

I dont think Bowe was scared though, but the issue i have/had with this is you wanna spin it all around and put it all on Lennox Lewis, when logic dictates that if anyone was to blame for this fight not taking place its more because of Bowe and his team.

Comment

Working...
                      X