Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jones looked great tonight, but lets not get carried away.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ReppinDubK View Post
    I understand everybody not getting carried away after this win, but give Roy his props he looked great and hes 40yrs old. All this B.S about he only looked good against a limited slugger who was moving up in weight, sounds similar to the BHop-Pavlik fight to me. Roy still has the handspeed to give a lot of fighters problems, but he should stay away from the Dawsons and Adameks. BHop could do much better against those fighters because of his defensive skills which are much better than Roys, but because of Roys speed he could still give BHop lots and lots of problems.
    Roy only has hand speed, he was real stiff against Lacy outside of it.. Hopkins would mop the floor with him if they fight again. Any foot speed Roy has over Hopkins is negligible as Roy doesn't give any angles or tricky movement anymore and Bernard is no snail and had fast enough hands to deal with Calzaghe anytime he wasn't too tired to fight back.

Roy backed up to the ropes against Lacy from slow, bs pressure. Imagine real pressure being put on from someone who can actually hit. Hell, Roy is still there to be countered silly. I'm beginning to question his boxing I.Q. He's smart when doing analysis for fights, but he hasn't been looking too bright in his own big fights in recent years.

Comment

• Originally posted by street bully View Post
      He is still shot, and Lacy was more or less tailor made. No Jones would not beat Calzaghe ina rematch, he would still get stopped by Glenn Johnson, Dawson would UD him, and Hopkins would as well or possibly stop him late. Roy Jones should beat Green and retire as a cruiserweight titlist, because I think he would lose to all those I mentioned, and Adanek would do some sinister things to him.

When did Pacquiao beat Jones?

Comment

• Originally posted by Haglerwins View Post
        Roy only has hand speed, he was real stiff against Lacy outside of it.. Hopkins would mop the floor with him if they fight again. Any foot speed Roy has over Hopkins is negligible as Roy doesn't give any angles or tricky movement anymore and Bernard is no snail and had fast enough hands to deal with Calzaghe anytime he wasn't too tired to fight back.

Roy backed up to the ropes against Lacy from slow, bs pressure. Imagine real pressure being put on from someone who can actually hit. Hell, Roy is still there to be countered silly. I'm beginning to question his boxing I.Q. He's smart when doing analysis for fights, but he hasn't been looking too bright in his own big fights in recent years.
        BHop is far from a 100 punch a round pressure fighter. Hes a counter puncher who throws very few punches a round which is why the fighters hes struggled against in the past few years were JT and Calzaghe who both use their athleticism. Along the ropes Hop wont pressure him like a Glenn Johnson, so a lot of the fight is going to be just boxing, and thats where Jones superior hand speed will help him.

Comment

• Originally posted by ReppinDubK View Post
          BHop is far from a 100 punch a round pressure fighter. Hes a counter puncher who throws very few punches a round which is why the fighters hes struggled against in the past few years were JT and Calzaghe who both use their athleticism. Along the ropes Hop wont pressure him like a Glenn Johnson, so a lot of the fight is going to be just boxing, and thats where Jones superior hand speed will help him.
          Roy just doesn't give enough looks. Bottom line. He has no footwork. All Hopkins has to do is mildly press to keep Roy in a shell. No Glen Johnson needed. I will stick by this stance until Roy shows me he will remove himself from the ropes when someone is in his face now. Roy didn't show me anything last night that would scare Hopkins into retreat from him.

Comment

• Beating Lacy is no big deal really.

Comment

Roy just doesn't give enough looks. Bottom line. He has no footwork. All Hopkins has to do is mildly press to keep Roy in a shell. No Glen Johnson needed. I will stick by this stance until Roy shows me he will remove himself from the ropes when someone is in his face now. Roy didn't show me anything last night that would scare Hopkins into retreat from him.
              You have to admit, the way roy fought off those ropes was a thing of beauty.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                He was "past his prime" in the first Tarver match.

He's "shot", now.

It's easy to look like "Superman" when you're fighting somebody as limited as Lacy, and I'll be honest ; the fact that some people around here were asking questions such as "Did Roy make a mistake picking Lacy?" had me literally pissing my pants in laughter.

I can't believe anybody thought Lacy even had a remote chance in this one.
                Yeah bull****, That's an excuse roytard. He was in his prime when he got knocked the **** out. He just had a bad night in the first Tarver fight. So what. The KO is what aged him. I'm so tired of you butt licking Roy fans. If he so great then why doesn't he stop fighting cherry picked stiffs and get in the ring with a real opponent?

Comment

• Originally posted by SiR Rich Loc$ View Post
                  Calzaghe > B-Hop & Jones
                  You mean Air-zaghe, The phantom slapper? Get out.

Comment

• @Shawn

That was the ONLY plus for me last night. Now I want to see him get off of them, not concede in retreat to them so easily. I was almost yelling at my screen yesterday.. letting Lacy lead him to the ropes with little to no resistance just because he was coming forward.

Comment

Im not saying Roy beats him, Im saying he can win rounds and make it a good fight. If Roy goes into his shell it becomes the most boring fight ever because BHop still will not open up. If Roy had it in him to keep the fight in the middle of the ring I think he easily beats Hop, but thats not this version of Roy at all. BHop is still a great fighter and belongs at the top of whatever division he fights in, but hes not as quick and agile as Pavlik made him look. BHop is still a middle aged man regardless of what shape hes in and Roy still possesses superior hand speed.

Comment

Working...
                      X