• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking Down The Donaire vs. Concepcion Fight

Breaking Down the Donaire vs Concepcion Fight

By Allan Tolentino

On August 15th Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire (win 21 (KO 14) -
    lost 1- draw 0) current IBF and IBO flyweight champion will square off against Rafael “El Torito” Concepcion (win 13 (KO 8) –lost 3 – draw 1) former WBA interim superflyweight champion, in what was billed as PINOY POWER2. Without further ado, let’s look at each fighter closely by examining their previous fights.

When the name Rafael Concepcion's name is brought up, it reminds me of the gutsy guy who won over AJ “Bazooka” Banal, and the fighter who gave Jorge “El Travieso” Arce one tough fight. Too bad I wasn't able to find any videos of Concepcion's last two fight werein he won against Emerson Nisperusa via 2nd round TKO and against Kermin Guardia via 8round unanimous decision. Concepcion is a slugger that keeps going forward, swinging and winging those left hooks, and looping right punches. He likes to fight on the inside, banging the body regularly and will keep throwing those clubbing punches to the head. You will rarely see Concepcion throw straight left jabs or right straights. And I’ve never seen Concepcion fight from the outside.

When Rafael fought AJ Banal, Banal lost that fight mainly because of Banal’s doing. Banal just let Concepcion come to him and allowed to get hit to the body ever since the early rounds. It may not have an effect during the early stages of the fight, but any fight fan knows an accumulation of hits to the body will soon wear any fighter down. And that’s exactly what happened. By the 10th round, AJ Banal’s legs looks like made of jelly. As credit to Rafael Concepcion, he kept coming forward, relentless in his attacks. He kept punching and pounding eventhough he gets hit on a regular basis. Concepcion’s punch to Banal’s temple was just icing on the cake of Banal’s own destruction. Banal took a knee and shook his head gesturing that he resigned from the fight.

In the Arce fight against Concepcion, Rafael was actually winning the fight in the early stages of that encounter. He was hitting Arce with those wild left hooks and right hands. And I’ve seen Jorge Arce get rocked numerous times when Rafael Concepcion was able to hit him. From a fight fans’ point of view, Rafael seems to put his full weight in his punches to put more power into his strikes. Those kinds of punches coming from Concepcion are what staggered Arce during the initial stanzas of their fight. Though they look heavy, they don’t seem to “sting” Arce. Some guys can throw flickering punches that doesn’t look that heavy, yet can sting their opponents and knock them out (think Muhammad Ali and Manny Pacquiao).

Some guys, like Concepcion, would hit their opponents with heavy punches, yet the effect would be like “clubbing and pushing” kind of hits. Although Arce got rocked and staggered on numerous occasions in that fight, he was never really in trouble and was able to shake those hits off. Although Arce did got hit, Jorge Arce showed that he has more defensive skills than Concepcion and was able to duck, slip and counter many of Rafael’s punches. Rafael Concepcion was eating all those left hooks and right
    straights Arce was throwing at him. I didn’t see any defense whatsoever displayed by Concepcion in that fight. No head and body movements, no bobbing and weaving, no parrying and blocking, no slipping and no quick footwork, nadda! He just kept coming forward receiving Jorge Arce’s punches just to deliver punishment coming from his side. He tries to make his offense his best defense. And he just goes backwards when he is taking punishments. Rafael Concepcion threw power shots after power shots in
    that fight, that’s why he was winning up to the round 6. By the 7th round, Rafael Concepcion seemed to be punched out. He was panting, breathing from his mouth, holding and trying to move away. This prompted Arce to step up his attack that made Concepcion’s eyes swell and shut. By the end of round 9, the fight had to be stopped because Concepcion cannot see from his swollen eyes.

How well will Rafael Concepcion do against a counter-puncher in the
    character of Nonito Donaire? Let’s take a look at Donaire closely.

On the other hand, Nonito Donaire gained prominence when he knocked out the previously undefeated slugger in the form of Vic Darchinyan to win the IBF and IBO flyweight titles. And in his next 3 fights after that was nothing short of impressive. His counter-punching style is reminds me of Juan Manuel Marquez with a certain “Pinoy flavor”.

Nonito dominated Luis Maldonado from the beginning of their fight using his ring smarts, accurate counter-punching and effective footwork. He punished Maldonado, causing cuts above Luis' both eyes. Donaire dropped Maldonado in the 7th round of the fight with a wicked looping left hook. In round 8, Nonito kept pounding Maldonado and the referee called a halt to the fight.

In the Mthalane fight, proved to be a tougher fight for Nonito. Moruti Mthalane was a game fighter who keeps coming forward. Again, Nonito showed superior defensive skills and counter-punching. In round 6, Nonito hit Mthalane with a perfectly timed left hook that connected to the eye which caused a deep cut. Later on, the cut was examined by the ring physician and called a halt to the fight.

Raul Martinez was undefeated when he fought Nonito Donaire. Yet again, Nonito Donaire displayed brilliant counter-punching skills, with accuracy and power. Donaire knocked out Martinez in only 4rounds of their fight.

How will the fight goes down this weekend between Nonito Donaire vs Rafael Concepcion?

This shall be Rafael Concepcion's chance to show the world that he is a contender in the sport. He will be the hungrier fighter in this encounter. But if styles make fights, Rafael Concepcion's style is tailor fit for Nonito Donaire. Seeing Rafael get hit regularly by those left hooks from Banal and Arce, Nonito's single left hook can knock out a "Raging Bull"! Nonito's punches are text book execution.The power comes from firm stable stance and leg movements, momentum travels through the hips and torso, then end up with damaging power into the punching fists, delivered in less than a split second. Each one of Nonito's punches both left and right can sting, unlike Rafael's
    heavy punches that club and push. Nonito will box smartly in this fight and punish Rafael with those left hooks, uppercut and shots to the body. I don't see this fight going the full distance. Early to mid rounds KO win by Donaire.

http://www.8countnews.com/news/125/A...009-08-11.html

Breaking the fight down, Concepcion will get clipped with a left hook and knocked out by Nonito Donaire who will be much stronger at 115 since he won't be crashing to make weight anymore.

Concepcion is way too available to big punches for a guy like Donaire to not capitalize on. It's going to be brief.

Comment

lmao at this whole article for reals, damn it was like an encyclopedia.

whats there to break down? i aint never heard of concepcion and i know hes a bum from looking at his record.

concepcion is a bum, donair wins...simple. i like donair, hes coo and gots skills.

Comment

Just watch the repeats of Nonito vs either Vic or Raul. They said the same thing about them, powerful punches. But they are too slow, to counter and to avoid the counters from Donaire.

Nonito by a devastating one-punch KO in the 2nd round.

Comment

Originally posted by Equinox View Post
          lmao at this whole article for reals, damn it was like an encyclopedia.

whats there to break down? i aint never heard of concepcion and i know hes a bum from looking at his record.

concepcion is a bum, donair wins...simple. i like donair, hes coo and gots skills.
          Why would someone say Concepcion is "a bum?" Why did Jorge Arce take 9 rounds to finish off a bum then?

You can't tell if a fighter is "a bum" or not from looking at his record. Only by watching a fighter and knowing how to interpret what you're seeing can you come to that conclusion.

Concepcion is definitely not upper-echelon and the primary reason he is getting this fight is because of his improbable TKO of AJ Banal but nonetheless to call him a bum is to over-simplify the situation.

Comment

Working...
          X