Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bernard Hopkins @175lbs, i've just realised, what a load of crap!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by british_fan View Post
    i do see reeds point
    tito and oscar were better at welter
    winky has no business above 160
    calzaghe was stepping up in weight as was pavlik
    its hard too see how tarver couldnt have been weight-drained for their fight
    but what hopkins does at his age against world class fighters is why hes so exceptional,and hes a defensive master who will make you look silly if you fight the wrong fight,however good you are
    tito and oscar were after he already cleaned out MW and tito blew out a legit 160lber in joppy. Calzaghe was steeping up in weight? Where did he fight his whole career? Where did Bhop fight? How many fights did Bhop at LHW before Jocal. Jocal is the naturally bigger guy.

Winky has no business about 160 amen!

Comment

Originally posted by mr. riz View Post
      fine, walt

i wont say truthful things today
      Not if they hurt my feelings! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
        The fact still remains, he was taking on these fights at 40+ years of age, which you simply can't discredit... I just think some people throw at names on Bernards resume without taking everything into account, like the fact that Winky and Pavlik shouldnt be fighting above 160 IMO... Bernard fans talk about Pavlik fighting at 166lbs, and 170 was only 4 pounds north of that.. but IMO Pavlik didnt look exactly stellar at 166 either.

But you take the fact that Bernard was 43, it was a very good win.. not GREAT, but very good.
        Pavlik has fought at 168 a number of times. Winky was absolutely nuts to go up that far.

Anyone ever consider that Bhop was just a little too smart for Tarver and had a perfect gameplan or is cuz Tarver KTFO Roy, who had lost his speed and reflexes but didn't have the boxing IQ that Bhop had to fall back on?

Comment

Originally posted by Real OG View Post
          I was thinking about it when everyone criticised the Floyd - JMM fight, Pavlik and Winky had to move up 10 + lbs i believe
          difference is that Floyd hasn't earned that right yet.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
            He gets overrated to an extent based on his age... but it's not something you can dismiss... look at the way he performed at 43 years of age... you cant simply dismiss that.
            but the same logic you apply to his age can be taken away from him when realising the disadvantages his opponents are giving away?

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
              Pavlik has fought at 168 a number of times. Winky was absolutely nuts to go up that far.

Anyone ever consider that Bhop was just a little too smart for Tarver and had a perfect gameplan or is cuz Tarver KTFO Roy, who had lost his speed and reflexes but didn't have the boxing IQ that Bhop had to fall back on?
              -Nobody questions Bernard Boxing IQ
              -Has nothing to do with Roy, whatsoever
              -Tarver DID have to lose a lot of weight to make the limit

Comment

Originally posted by lighterlife11 View Post
                but the same logic you apply to his age can be taken away from him when realising the disadvantages his opponents are giving away?
                You can't take away from Bernard because of his age, but because of his opponents having to come up in weight to fight him... Beating Pavlik at 160 at 43 would of been a GREAT win, the greatest in his career.. Pavlik at 170, is a very good win, and I would place the Tarver win the best in his career.

Comment

Originally posted by catalinul View Post
                  Did it take you a few yeas to realize these statistics?

Comment

You telling me B-Hop who weighed 190 lbs fight night against Joe who weighed 183 is smaller than him? B-Hop is a lot bigger than Calzaghe it's evident from all the face offs they've had. Calzaghe would balloon up to 200 lbs inbetween fights where as Hopkins would stay around 167 lbs, Calzaghe drinks alcohol etc where as Hopkins is 100% clean from it just to make weight.

Comment

Originally posted by boxasmash View Post
                      You telling me B-Hop who weighed 190 lbs fight night against Joe who weighed 183 is smaller than him? B-Hop is a lot bigger than Calzaghe it's evident from all the face offs they've had. Calzaghe would balloon up to 200 lbs inbetween fights where as Hopkins would stay around 167 lbs, Calzaghe drinks alcohol etc where as Hopkins is 100% clean from it just to make weight.

Id definitely agree Bernard was bigger, then just about everyone he fought... not really his fault, but it is what it is...

Maybe not Tarver... cant remember Tarvers exact height... I would place Tarver over Bernard in size though.. especially based on the fact he was a legit LHW for his career.

Comment

Working...
                      X