No announcement yet.

Breaking News! Cotto's strap up for grabs by Manny Pacquiao

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by horge View Post
    It was Cotto himself who offered to fight Pac at 145, unprompted.
    This was months ago. Nobody's holding him back on weight.
    It's his own hand at work.
    Fight was offered at 145 because he knew Manny wouldn't fight him at 147. I am pretty sure that Miguel has no problem fighting Manny at 147 and putting the belt up.

Comment

Who the *** cares about a belt.

Cotto is not going to lose...put it up...and let the ibf join in with the vacant belt that Cotto should have won from Clottey.

145 is still a WW fight....The belt is worthless anyway.

Seriously to all my fellow Cotto fans...Would you want Miguel parading around a worthless belt calling himself the WBO if he lost to MP...that would be ******.

He ain't losin' so it's a non issue....but seriously put the belt up...If just for promotional and historic purposes.

It makes no sense not to.

and this WBO prez I know just wants to get paid....Make Arum pay for that ****.

or maybe thats what the Cotto camp is trying to get accomplished with this stunt...You never know...Lawyers are a sneaky bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
        If he wants the belt then fight at the right weight, 147. Pacquaio is not bigger than the sport, special rules are not owed to him. Man up and make the fight at 147 if you want the belt.
        I agree.. its a great fight but....if you are making a catch weight the title shouldnt be on the line.

Comment

Originally posted by BOOMbip View Post
          Who the *** cares about a belt.

Cotto is not going to lose...put it up...and let the ibf join in with the vacant belt that Cotto should have won from Clottey.

145 is still a WW fight....The belt is worthless anyway.

Seriously to all my fellow Cotto fans...Would you want Miguel parading around a worthless belt calling himself the WBO if he lost to MP...that would be ******.

He ain't losin' so it's a non issue....but seriously put the belt it...If just for promotional and historic purposes.

It makes no sense not to.
          Yes, I would atleast. The belt is set at a weight and until he loses in a fight where the belt is meant to be fought at then he deserves to keep it. You're right about belts being worthless but Manny doesn't deserve special rules. 145 isn't Miguels best weight and it isn't Mannys so why fight for a belt?

Comment

Wow, simply wow. Yes, the rules are that 147 is the max weight so if they are fighting for that belt why shouldn't Cotto be allowed to weigh that at the weigh in? If you are going to fight for a strap that allows you to weigh up to 147 you should be allowed to weigh 147, not 145 lbs. No special rules for your boy. Get in the ring and get your ass beat!
            Cotto will ony have to lose one more pound than his last weigh in, so he'll hardly struggle to make it.

And if Cotto thinks he can't be in his best shape at 145, just don't sign the damn contract, as simple as that. Nobody forced him to take the fight. He comes down 2 pounds to make the biggest payday of his life. Not that bad for a guy who used to fight at 140.

Comment

Fight was offered at 145 because he knew Manny wouldn't fight him at 147. I am pretty sure that Miguel has no problem fighting Manny at 147 and putting the belt up.
              I think you're the only one here that doesn't know things. Cotto's team is not defending that belt due to the fact they were asking for more money to get a leverage on Bob. Since Arum and manny wants to make that a big deal being the only fighter winning 7 titles in 7 weight division. You got the defending champion getting 35-65 % of the spllit. If Bob is willing to pay the sanctioning fees + add a little bit more money, Cotto will defend that belt.

It's all about money. If Cotto is afraid or scared defending that decoration, then he will get stripped. If his fans think Cottto could win by KO, why afraid of putting that belt on the line? No confidence on Cotto? Lol
              Last edited by MakeDamnSure; 07-25-2009, 08:59 AM.

Comment

anyone have any idea what the splits like ?

Comment

If you are brave enough to put your balls on the line, why not a ****** belt? It can't hold your balls anyway.

A challenge has been accepted and it should be for all the marbles. Not putting everything on the line is just gay.

Comment

people box is a bussiness, dont you people know that????? cotto is using that belt for negotiating. if manny and arum want the belt on the line they should pay more $$$. how many times had cotto been screwed. (ibf vs clottey) so why he got to do everything team pac wants???? more $$$$$ or no title simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by JM1 View Post
                      Francisco “Paco” Valcarcel, lawyer and president of the World Boxing Organization, is not tone deaf.

Valcarcel has heard the cry from the millions of Manny Pacquiao fans and those who devoutly follow the fistic fortunes of Boricua Bomber Miguel Angel Cotto.

As I reported, Cotto has thought he could hold the WBO welterweight title hostage and use it as a blackjack on the head of the Pacquiao-Cotto Nov. 14 promoter Bob Arum.

I caught up with Valcarcel as he was going through airport security somewhere and we had a brief conversation Friday afternoon.

Whatever happens in Cotto’s money play with Top Rank’s top dog, Valcarcel said that Pacquiao fans, Cotto fans and fight fans in general can relax.

“I know that Manny is looking to make boxing history. I can appreciate that as he goes after the very tough Cotto for a seventh weight division world title,” Valcarcel said.

“You can tell all the people right now, the WBO title will be on the line. You’ve got a highly respected champion fighting the Number One contender. It would be ridiculous for this not to be for the title.

“No matter what happens, I assure you that this will be a WBO welterweight title fight. End of story.”

Yes, you can say, well Paco is a boxing politician. That much is true.

But, unlike many politicians, he has his finger on the pulse of the people.

Good call, El Presidente

http://www.examiner.com/x-5699-NY-Bo...Manny-Pacquiao
                      I don't think it should if it aint at the WW limit, JMO.

Comment

Working...
                      X