No announcement yet.

Clarification (Godfrey-Hawk)...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
    I didnt think so I mean, styles are so different...Matt is much better at 200 than Byrd was at 175, you know what I mean???
    No, I don't know what you mean. I am no big Chris Byrd fan, but get back to me when Godfrey wins a fight of any significance. Seriously, you are talking about a former Heavyweight Champion of the World who was a shadow of himself when defeated by George. Have some respect please.

Comment

Originally posted by DC Fight Fan View Post
      No, I don't know what you mean. I am no big Chris Byrd fan, but get back to me when Godfrey wins a fight of any significance. Seriously, you are talking about a former Heavyweight Champion of the World who was a shadow of himself when defeated by George. Have some respect please.
      He was just responding to another poster's point regarding a potential matchup. You yourself confirm his point regarding Byrd at 175 by calling Byrd a "shadow of himself" when he was at the weight.

You are the one who should have some respect here.

Comment

DC, Chris is a friend of mine in the boxing game, we go back to 1988 in the amateurs (he was 139 back then)...I have all the respect in the world for him, BELIEVE ME...but anyone knows he was in terrible trouble at 175 after so many years as a heavyweight...it is not disrespectful in any way shape or form to say Matt Godfrey is better at 200 pounds than Chris is at 175.

Comment

DC, Chris is a friend of mine in the boxing game, we go back to 1988 in the amateurs (he was 139 back then)...I have all the respect in the world for him, BELIEVE ME...but anyone knows he was in terrible trouble at 175 after so many years as a heavyweight...it is not disrespectful in any way shape or form to say Matt Godfrey is better at 200 pounds than Chris is at 175.
          I guess I misread your point and intent. I took it as Matt is much better at 200 than Chris was at 175 at anytime during his life. Of course Matt is better at 200 than Chris was at 175 against George.

Comment

whats in store for godfrey iceman.
            next fight at least a half step up?

Comment

the only time as far as I know that Chris fought at 175 was against George...at 210 he was a very very accomplished and DIFFICULT guy for anyone...at 175 obviously that was not the case...many boxers , not just Matt, are better than Chris proved to be at 175...Chris clearly should have went to cruiserweight....the drop was too much....as for Matt, his next fight has not been set yet, no...

Comment

the only time as far as I know that Chris fought at 175 was against George...at 210 he was a very very accomplished and DIFFICULT guy for anyone...at 175 obviously that was not the case...many boxers , not just Matt, are better than Chris proved to be at 175...Chris clearly should have went to cruiserweight....the drop was too much....as for Matt, his next fight has not been set yet, no...
                i understand!

Comment

hey wheres abrahams hands.
                  look at kess and froch faces.

Comment

So that I understand you correctly....

The Chris Byrd that fought Mike Sullivan at 171 lbs on 5/15/93 was not as good of a fighter as the Matt Godfrey that fought Shawn Hawk the other night?

The same Chris Byrd who entered the pro ranks after winning a silver medal in Barcelona.

Comment

So that I understand you correctly....

The Chris Byrd that fought Mike Sullivan at 171 lbs on 5/15/93 was not as good of a fighter as the Matt Godfrey that fought Shawn Hawk the other night?

The same Chris Byrd who entered the pro ranks after winning a silver medal in Barcelona.

Yes, finally, you have seen the light Look, man, I love Chris Byrd like anyone else...respect his skills A LOT... but sometimes people have this picture of a fighter in their mind and they cant see past it... I mean, Godfrey, you forget, won cleanly, decisively, clearly, by a wide margin the other night while using a very difficult style...hard for ANYONE to fight again, win or lose...newsflash number two is that Shaun George would have beaten Chris Byrd in 1993 as well... that Chris Byrd is NOT the one who won all those heavyweight bouts.. and remember, Matt Godfrey was a HIGHLY decorated amateur as well...

Comment

Working...
                      X