No announcement yet.

Joshua Clottey = This generation's Ike Quartey

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joshua Clottey = This generation's Ike Quartey

Besides the obvious heritage connection, Joshua Clottey mirrors Bazooka Quartey in the way that he is sort of the "Mr. Tough Luck" of this generation. Whatever the case may be, both guys have gotten their share of bad luck in the boxing ring, and both were the sort of guys that you would seriously dread to fight.

Clottey: Received a questionable DQ against Carlos Baldomir, after leading on the cards.

Lost to Antonio Margarito after stopping nearly all of his punch output because of a broken hand, following a dominant 5 rounds at the beginning of the fight.

Lost a close, controversial decision to Miguel Cotto.

Is arguably avoided and ignored by several top dogs.

Quartey:
    Lost a close, controversial decision to Oscar Delahoya.

Lost an even CLOSER, razor thin fight to Fernando Vargas. I still have trouble scoring that one.

He was flat out robbed (imo) against Vernon Forrest.

Wanna talk about tought love? How about the way in which Quartey was initially announced the winner against Jose Luis Lopez, but then had the win taken from him and changed to a draw afterward. Talk about unlucky.

The main difference between these two may be that Ike was more popular after gaining a reputation by building his name in France. But both guys have been somewhat ignored by the biggest names. Too much risk and too little reward.. even Quartey was looked at that way by Tito, imo. In the same way that a controversial loss to Cotto makes another big fight less possible for Clottey, so the same was true for Quartey after DLH. He never got a piece of Mosley or Tito. I doubt Clottey will really get to tussle with the biggest names unless they lose and are forced to take a challenge like Cotto had to.

I think Quartey has more of a claim at beating Oscar than Clottey does for beating Cotto.

Both were close as hell, but I thought Quartey clearly beat DLH...I actually don't think it was that close.

Comment

the only thing they have in common is Ghana

that's it

quartey is 100x better than overrated "grandmaster, look at me crying from a fake knee injury as i was pushed away because i wanted to clinch" clottey.

Comment

Originally posted by K-Nan View Post
        Besides the obvious heritage connection, Joshua Clottey mirrors Bazooka Quartey in the way that he is sort of the "Mr. Tough Luck" of this generation. Whatever the case may be, both guys have gotten their share of bad luck in the boxing ring, and both were the sort of guys that you would seriously dread to fight.

Clottey: Received a questionable DQ against Carlos Baldomir, after leading on the cards.

Lost to Antonio Margarito after stopping nearly all of his punch output because of a broken hand, following a dominant 5 rounds at the beginning of the fight.

Lost a close, controversial decision to Miguel Cotto.

Is arguably avoided and ignored by several top dogs.

Quartey:
        Lost a close, controversial decision to Oscar Delahoya.

Lost an even CLOSER, razor thin fight to Fernando Vargas. I still have trouble scoring that one.

He was flat out robbed (imo) against Vernon Forrest.

Wanna talk about tought love? How about the way in which Quartey was initially announced the winner against Jose Luis Lopez, but then had the win taken from him and changed to a draw afterward. Talk about unlucky.

The main difference between these two may be that Ike was more popular after gaining a reputation by building his name in France. But both guys have been somewhat ignored by the biggest names. Too much risk and too little reward.. even Quartey was looked at that way by Tito, imo. In the same way that a controversial loss to Cotto makes another big fight less possible for Clottey, so the same was true for Quartey after DLH. He never got a piece of Mosley or Tito. I doubt Clottey will really get to tussle with the biggest names unless they lose and are forced to take a challenge like Cotto had to.
        There's some similarities, as both Ghanian fighters have that high guard and then like to counter after blocking the shots. Quartey of course has the better jab, and he was simply a better fighter I feel. Quartey's had more injustice IMO, as I felt he won the fights with De La Hoya, Lopez, and Forrest. Clottey was an idiot for repeatedly coming forward with his head after numerous warnings against Baldomir. I thought his bout with Cotto could've went either way, but Clottey's inferior stamina and mindset to Cotto definitely played a role. Clottey did too little towards the end despite having a cut Cotto who couldn't see his right hand. I know it sounds cliched, but Cotto seemed to want it more, and has more intangibles than Clottey.

Trinidad did sign to fight Quartey though. Quartey pulled out, there was this big promotional mess and it resulted in a lawsuit.

http://www.nycourts.gov/comdiv/Law%2...00/QUARTEY.HTM

http://www.nycourts.gov/comdiv/Law%2...99/quartey.htm

Comment

Originally posted by mr. riz View Post
          the only thing they have in common is Ghana

that's it

quartey is 100x better than overrated "grandmaster, look at me crying from a fake knee injury as i was pushed away because i wanted to clinch" clottey.
          give the man credit, lol. The sad thing about Clottey is the misunderstanding. He thought doing that would in some way help him win, because they had the same promoter. He had mentioned things about how he doesn't feel he will get robbed because they have the same promoter, not realizing the nature of the business for all it is.

If you saw the fight before the Darchinyan fight you would have seen an example of this. Adjaho(African fighter) was winning every round basically up until round 9. He gets hit, wasn't hurt from the looks of it, goes to take a knee, the other fighter Demarco hits him behind the head. Whether his knee was down or not doesn't matter. Adjaho after getting hit over exaggerates and falls on his face as the ref counts him out. He got up like nothing happened afterward and was like "what you mean i lost"? It was embarassing to see any fighter lose like that. How could you be that ignorant as a Professional

Comment

Clottey's just not that good, also, He's drity, and crys like a little ***** when it happens to him.

Comment

Originally posted by D.I.E.S.E.L View Post
              give the man credit, lol. The sad thing about Clottey is the misunderstanding. He thought doing that would in some way help him win, because they had the same promoter. He had mentioned things about how he doesn't feel he will get robbed because they have the same promoter, not realizing the nature of the business for all it is.

If you saw the fight before the Darchinyan fight you would have seen an example of this. Adjaho(African fighter) was winning every round basically up until round 9. He gets hit, wasn't hurt from the looks of it, goes to take a knee, the other fighter Demarco hits him behind the head. Whether his knee was down or not doesn't matter. Adjaho after getting hit over exaggerates and falls on his face as the ref counts him out. He got up like nothing happened afterward and was like "what you mean i lost"? It was embarassing to see any fighter lose like that. How could you be that ignorant as a Professional
              ok fine, grandmaster deserves a tad more credit

but that adjaho guy's a fuking moron. everyone in my section was clowning him

Comment

Originally posted by mr. riz View Post
                ok fine, grandmaster deserves a tad more credit

but that adjaho guy's a fuking moron. everyone in my section was clowning him
                dude said "I didn't see nothing i was face down".

WTF you mean, you didn't hear the ref counting right where you lay? He should be slapped. Its not like he's a rookie either, 32 yrs old, over 100+ amateur fights? It was the dumbest thing I've seen happen to a boxer

Comment

Cotto lost that fight! Get the **** out of here. Clottey is the real champ. Cotto in his heart knows he lost that fight. I wont even argue it. If u think cotto won u dont know boxing. No really u dont boxing. He got the decision because of politics not because of what he did in the ring. Like they said in the movie american gangster "its not boxing its politics"

Comment

Naaah......both were close fights.......Oscar and Miguel did enough imo........

Comment

Working...
                    X